Options

1st Scapegoat

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

There are a lot of ways to skin a cat.

I can only think of two or three.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@webmost said:
    There is a matter of degree, tho, guys. Look at Roosevelt and Wilson. Biden is running at a rate that totally eclipses each Prez since FDR. He's doing four times Trump's rate. See the table here: https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/statistics/data/executive-orders#eotable

I'm not sure that Congress abdicating its responsibility is key, tho. I'd say Congress' blatant neglect of duty affects the burgeoning Federal Register more than EOs. Not that they don't have the duty to rein in abuse of these powers. But so long as they get their pound of pork, they're most always content to kick the can.

Too early to break out the extrapolation rulers and y=mx+b formulas imo...most of them typically come at the beginning and end of terms. Nevertheless, you're either for the process or against it...not just for it when your team does it.

Roosevelt, like obama, trump, bush, and clinton, used it when they couldn't push any legislation. Truman did too.

I like it as a tool, but still thought that Obama and trump both failed the people when both used it their only way to legislate. Before any trumpers complain about pelosi or harry ried, remember that the system is designed to gain consensus, protecting the minority from the tyranny of the majority. Consensus often means compromise, but the wing nuts at each end, who are the loud donors and news channel watchers, constantly control the narrative and won't fund compromiser candidates.

Obama and Trump were forced to use
    EOs to do anything. Congress gridlocked everything good or bad. Biden has the house and senate. No reason at all for EOs. Except the other reps want to keep their job and voting yes for half of Bidens stuff would ensure a loss in the next house and senate elections.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options

@Diver43 said:

@VegasFrank said:

@webmost said:
    There is a matter of degree, tho, guys. Look at Roosevelt and Wilson. Biden is running at a rate that totally eclipses each Prez since FDR. He's doing four times Trump's rate. See the table here: https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/statistics/data/executive-orders#eotable

I'm not sure that Congress abdicating its responsibility is key, tho. I'd say Congress' blatant neglect of duty affects the burgeoning Federal Register more than EOs. Not that they don't have the duty to rein in abuse of these powers. But so long as they get their pound of pork, they're most always content to kick the can.

Too early to break out the extrapolation rulers and y=mx+b formulas imo...most of them typically come at the beginning and end of terms. Nevertheless, you're either for the process or against it...not just for it when your team does it.

Roosevelt, like obama, trump, bush, and clinton, used it when they couldn't push any legislation. Truman did too.

I like it as a tool, but still thought that Obama and trump both failed the people when both used it their only way to legislate. Before any trumpers complain about pelosi or harry ried, remember that the system is designed to gain consensus, protecting the minority from the tyranny of the majority. Consensus often means compromise, but the wing nuts at each end, who are the loud donors and news channel watchers, constantly control the narrative and won't fund compromiser candidates.

EOs to do anything. Congress gridlocked everything good or bad. Biden has the house and senate. No reason at all for EOs. Except the other reps want to keep their job and voting yes for half of Bidens stuff would ensure a loss in the next house and senate elections.

Hopefully.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Diver43 said:

@VegasFrank said:

@webmost said:

This is my point. They didn't gridlock everything. Not literally everything! Cash for clunkers went through. The VA Reformation Act went through. Stimulus relief and the budget and things that had to get done went through.

The things that didn't go through were each of those presidents' agendas, And they didn't go through because there was no national consensus. There was definitely a consensus to take care of veterans, and there was definitely a consensus to get us out of that recession.

This is where compromise comes in and this is what does not happen in today's politics. Even if Obama were willing to compromise with Mitch McConnell, McConnell would not be willing to compromise back because the big time donors would no longer support him.

No big deal, because he wins every election by 70-30, right? Wrong. His real election is the primary in that red state. The rich wackos, if McConnell were to have compromise with Obama, would have backed a Republican Challenger.

And therein lies the difference. Tip O'Neill worked with Reagan. A thousand Democrats have worked with a thousand Republicans, and a thousand Republicans have worked with a thousand Democrats in the past. It's no longer like that.

That's why my opinion remains that we the people suffer in the name of the almighty pac dollar And because of the crap that they spew on so-called news channels.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh and I should also add one more thing. When I say compromise I don't mean you pick five I pick five. I mean you take your comprehensive bill, and you give up some stuff inside of it, then I give up some stuff inside of it. In the end, you have a compromise that was tough. You have a compromise where you did not get everything you wanted. You have a compromise where you got some things that you wanted.

That's how the system was designed to work. Protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority. That Madison was a smart feller...

Not to crap on the other side because they don't believe in what you believe in. Not to call each other live tired and conservanazis. And it sure as hell wasn't for one side to say you cheated while the other side says you're racist.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^ we can agree on that ^^
    Think after dinner I will smoke an Oliva that I have been sitting on

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

former pres. Trump has a new web site.
    https://www.donaldjtrump.com/desk

he hasn't lost his mojo:
    Donald J. Trump
    11:18am May 3, 2021

Please explain to the Democrats and RINOs that the reason Texas-06 completely shut out Democrats in Saturday’s Jungle Primary is because of my Endorsement of Susan Wright, who surged last week after receiving it. The Democrats were shut out and now it will be a contest between two Republicans, a very big win. It would be nice, however, if the pundits and Fake News Media would state the real reason for this unprecedented (Democrats have never been shut out before) victory!

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now the White House Press Secretary says they don't want the President answering questions from reporters, they don't thing it's wise. You can't make this stuff up!

• Options

Biden needs to kept to the script. Without a teleprompter he's just too funny.

• Options
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, it occurs to me that if I had some inscrutable interest in having the Ukraine join NATO, I'd tell the American public that the Russians are forbidding it. Our contrarian nature would kick in, and...poof...! Before you know it, Americans would be in favor of getting Unka Joe's gun club to back a Ukrainian uprising against Russia.

I guess I'd announce that "the Russians may be planning a 'false flag' attack", then let the story unfold from there.

Of course, we'd only do something like that if our political leaders had some sort of vested interest to capitalize on in the Ukraine.

Anyone else remember a few years back when all of the internet criminal activity was attributed to "Eastern Block" (read Ukraine) countries?

Or, is it just me that's suspicious? I'm probably just paranoid delusional. I mean, what possible interests could anyone in our government have in the Ukraine anyway? It's not like there's been any history there, has there? Nah! Just conspiracy theory.

Right?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

At times Trump was a bit embarrassing to have has a President, mostly it was his insistence on tweeting. However, I am far more embarrassed to have Biden as my President, the guy is a walking gaffe.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually they are spending billions on a new port in the arctic. With the lower levels of ice they are able to transport over Siberia year round and it’s faster than the Indian Ocean route.

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:
    At times Trump was a bit embarrassing to have has a President, mostly it was his insistence on tweeting. However, I am far more embarrassed to have Biden as my President, the guy is a walking gaffe.

True, but, it seems like Mitch McConnell is making headway into Biden's traditional territory lately.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    True, but, it seems like Mitch McConnell is making headway into Biden's traditional territory lately.

Some of these guys and gals just don't know when to retire.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

Or just die.

• Options

Now we're going to send "5,000 troops" to the region?

Why didn't we just tell the guys in Afghanistan to get in our equipment and drive west?

• Options

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I know is it's one of my favorite lines paraphrased, in Gangs of New York.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Biden said "It’s no longer just about who gets to vote or making it easier for eligible voters to vote. It’s about who gets to count the vote — who gets to count whether or not your vote counted at all." On July 13, 2021

I couldn't find any reference of Stalin saying the quote

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.