1st Scapegoat

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    jlmarta said:
    Diver43 said:
    jlmarta said:
    Hey, hey, wait a minute!  I know California is considered a ‘liberal’ state but I think you guys are forgetting that there’s still a helluva bunch of us conservatives who still live here. Cut us a little slack, okay?

Sure, a lot of us would like to leave the state but, for millions of reasons, that’s either impossible or impractical. 

To hear you guys tell it, everyone in the state is the antiChrist and it’s getting damned tiring. 

Capisce??
    Dont worry there are escape hatches through the wall for you good guys
    Really?  ‘Splain, please. 🤓
    Will have to tell you over an adult beverage and cigar. Its Classified, cant post it here
    Aha. I see. Okay, then. I’m sure you’ll keep me posted, right?  (mumble, mumble....)  🤨
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Credit where credit is due:

Now big red is going around knocking off austere religious schoiars.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Brittany is a Babe-ylon Bee

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She sounds a lot like Chuck Schumer.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She sounds a lot like Chuck Schumer.  
    The problem is chuckie (where is the camera) glasses does most of his talking in secret and by puppet strings.....
  • Options
    I keep hearing Chuck & Co. talk about how Congress wasn't consulted or alerted.  Maybe because they didn't want the mission to fail?  I can't think of any more effective way to sabotage a covert operation than to bring it to the attention of over 400 blabbering blubbering idiots, each with his own media outlet.  

As for Congressional authority to "wage war" in this way, no president, Democrat or Republican, has done that since FDR was in the Oval Office.  

Lastly, I keep hearing Chuck & Co. say "Previous presidents didn't do it when they had the chance."   This is your line of "reasoning"?  Let's see, Zipper Clinton had a chance to take out Osama bin Laden, but decided not to.  How'd that work out?

English speaking Iranians must watch our news programs the way we used to watch Benny Hill.  Rolling on the floor, laughing.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    So, for decades Iran-a-meni has been setting their mad-dog-killer loose on the neighbors.  Like a spoiled brat with a mis-trained pit bull, laughing while it tears up the neighborhood cats, dogs, chickens, and women and children. 

Now someone's finally shot the damn dog, and its owner wants to sue for damages?  

The world amazes me.

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, for decades Iran-a-meni has been setting their mad-dog-killer loose on the neighbors.  Like a spoiled brat with a mis-trained pit bull, laughing while it tears up the neighborhood cats, dogs, chickens, and women and children. 

Now someone's finally shot the damn dog, and its owner wants to sue for damages?  

The world amazes me.

And the miserable democrats are salivating.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Those in possession of administrative power could never resist using it for their own aggrandizement."
    -BF Skinner-
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    "Those in possession of administrative power could never resist using it for their own aggrandizement."
    -BF Skinner-
    "I think I'll lock my daughter in a box and see how it affects her personality." 
    -BF Skinner.  

Never had much use for B. F. Skinner, or sphexishness in general.  I can't help but think that there's more to life than endless cause and effect, that there is, indeed, spirit.

• Options
    -BF Skinner-
    "I think I'll lock my daughter in a box and see how it affects her personality." 
    -BF Skinner.  

Never had much use for B. F. Skinner, or sphexishness in general.  I can't help but think that there's more to life than endless cause and effect, that there is, indeed, spirit.
    BTW, @silvermouse , I should have added that I do not mean to be contentious with you, or to your point.  I have to admit that, as great as my distaste for Skinner is, he hit the nail on the head with this one.  When you're right, you're right.  Even if you're Trump, or Obama, or Skinner. 

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    -BF Skinner-
    -BF Skinner.  

BTW, @silvermouse , I should have added that I do not mean to be contentious with you, or to your point.  I have to admit that, as great as my distaste for Skinner is, he hit the nail on the head with this one.  When you're right, you're right.  Even if you're Trump, or Obama, or Skinner. 

It's funny how many counselors and psych pros I speak with who talk about a resurgence of behavioralism in their field.  I still have a copy somewhere of Chomsky's 1952 article "On 'Verbal Behavior'" where he destroys Skinner's approach to language acquisition.  I'd been under the impression that that was the crack in the dam that a little boy's finger could no longer plug and Skinner had died out.  But I was a linguistics student, not a psych/cogsci guy, so what do I know?

But yeah, I read Walden II and thought the dude was just creepifying.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options

I've been watching the daily Press conferences, for better or worse, and despite my ingrained prejudices against government over-reactions, it seems like a reasoned response under the circumstances.

It's also been somewhat entertaining, for me anyway. There seems to be a cabal of "journalists" who are determined to twist every available fact into a dark and dire prognosis of doom, or to otherwise interject some kind of personally held vendetta against the administration into the events taking place, whether pertinent or not, related or not.

The entertaining part is that I tend to envision these "journalists" like a pack of puppies pretending to be Big Dogs, pooping little piles and then trying to lure the President or others on the dais to come over and step in their poorly laid traps.

Hilarious.

• Options
    edited March 2020

^^^ This is absolutely true. But I had to admire Rion (I suppose her parents fighuredf the only way to name their baby girl Ryan was to mispell it) from OAN today, who baffled the room by asking Orange Man Bad as follows:

"Do you consider the term 'Chinese food' racist because it’s food that originates in China?" Rion asked.

The president, of course, said no.

"On that note, major left-wing news media, even in this room, have teamed up with Chinese Communist Party narratives and they’re claiming you are racist for making these claims about Chinese virus. Is it alarming that major media players — just to oppose you — are consistently siding with foreign state propaganda, Islamic radicals, and Latin gangs and cartels, and they work right here at the White House with direct access to you and your team?"

I like these pressers. The experts have smart things to say.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Bu11$hit headline of the week! ---> Trump suggests 'injection' of disinfectant to beat coronavirus and 'clean' the lungs

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-suggests-injection-disinfectant-beat-coronavirus-clean-lungs-n1191216

.....................................................................................................................

They've done it again. The Trump hating "news" vultures have have lied. Notice the fabricated quote in the headline. And notice the actual quote below. Two different things. He simply asked his medical team if there were a way to kill the virus inside the body in a way similar to how disinfectants kill the virus on surfaces. He did not ask "Can we inject Lysol intravenously?" But the vultures tell us that is exactly what he did.

His words: "I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning? As you see, it gets in the lungs, it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that."

He used the words, "something like that, by injection". He did not use the words "Lysol by injection". That's a huge difference in meaning but not enough for the vultures to resist trying to convince you that "something like that" as a synonym for "Lysol"

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-suggests-injection-disinfectant-beat-coronavirus-clean-lungs-n1191216

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else in the world, everyone would have laughed at the joke.
    Trump says it and it is instruction to get better

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options

Clickbait.
    It ain't news, it's clickbait.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:
    Clickbait.
    It ain't news, it's clickbait.

There is no more news. It's all left-wing propaganda.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

It ain't news.

There is no more news. It's all propaganda.

FIFY

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options

@Guitarded said:

It ain't news.

There is no more news. It's all propaganda.

FIFY

No, guitarded... the most and the worst by far and hands down comes from CNN, WaPo, NYT, MSNBC, night-time TV hosts, etc etc. All those TV celebrities with their furrowed brows, donning lensless glasses with black frames so as to look smart, & going all hysterical about "this means the end of the world!" and "Trump Is A Not-see". There is no comparison. Don't even pretend. Fact: TDS reigns mega-profitable.

===============================

Thing of it is, with clickbait, even if you just go to NYT or WaPo or CNN or etc cause you're thinking "they can't possibly have squeezed that lie out of what he said!", then you have thereby served the purpose of their clickbait headline ... which was just to get you to click a link so they could monetize their banner ads. They get paid whether you believe their crap or not.

This strategy was discovered by Hearst way back in the 1890s He was in a yellow journalism war with Pulitzer to see who could dominate New York tabloids. He and Pulitzer were the two big publishers of sensationalist news. Pulitzer was making bigass bucks peddling lies & exaggerations, so Hearst decided he would move in and scoop the market. And, yes, journalism's most prestigious honor is today awarded in the name of an eminent fake news publisher who made millions off spewing garbage. Pulitzer is even credited with starting the Spanish-American war just for the pictures!

Anyhoo, at one point they got to warring with the price of their papers. One would brag how you got a bigger paper from him for the same two cents; then the other would brag you got their paper for a mere penny; then Hearst finally figured out how to give his papers away for free by financing the presses with ads... "your ad gets more circulation!" was the claim. Headlines.

Drag that same idea forward a hundred some years, you got clickbait ads financing free shock journalism.

• Options
    edited April 2020

I think @CalvinAndHobo has nailed it. Web's argument is flawless, except in leaving FOXNEWS, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levine, etc. off the list. Although credit should be given for the mention of the Ultra Right Wing propagandist Hearst.

Post edited by Amos_Umwhat on

• Options

The level of vitriol is not even close.
    The rate at which they manufacture lies is nowhere near parity.

Come on.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Well, right now? You're right.

The Right Wing talking heads have returned to above-ground journalism ever since DT was elected. Pretty much, anyway. And the Left Wing has indeed descended into chaotic phantasmagoric "the-sky-is-falling" parodies of reality that are mind-boggling, to say the very least. It would be sad, if it weren't so disgusting.

But just a few years ago that shoe was on the other foot. Remember all the credit they gave Obama for wrecking the economy? Which he had absolutely nothing to do with, they'd nuked the economy before GW left office and handed the steaming rubble off to team Obama.

Those "Death Panels" the right wing was so upset about? First signed into law in Texas by then governor George W. Bush, weren't they? And, good thing too. My only problem with W's death panels was that they were based solely on what was profitable. They are, in fact, a necessary evil.

Sometimes a disinterested party needs to make the decision that it's OK to let Granny go. Especially if she hasn't known who she or anyone else is in years, hurts all the time, can't move her own body in any meaningful way, has ZERO quality of life.

But, sister June keeps screaming "Save my Mama!" every time the poor old thing gets close to a final release. I've been there for that scene too many times to count. Jesus is knocking on the door and sister June is kicking him in the shins. Very sad to see.

And yet, the "conservative" talking heads carried on as if the whole idea originated with Barry O, incarnation of evil. Pathetic.

These are the reasons it was important to me to watch the Sham-peachment hearings for myself. I can't trust any of the News sources. Or Congress. Especially the House of Representatives at this time, because they're pretty much foaming at the mouth.

I should add, I'm not one of the disagrees on your post above, @webmost . Just to be clear, I still disapprove of anonymous backstabbing, and always will.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis