Home General Discussion
Options

Monthly cocktail vHerf

YaksterYakster Posts: 25,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
The martini vHerf was a blast last night, it was suggested we pick another cocktail for next month, Old Fashions were nominated.

One of the great things about this is you don't have to drink the cocktail to join the vHerf and you don't have to join the vHerf to drink the cocktail, we're an inclusive bunch.

We'll have to pick a day next month for this, I've got ice ball molds coming for my rocks glasses.
Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Comments

• Options
    firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll have my icey balls ready as well
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in......No ice balls for me.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ForMud said:
    I'm in......No ice balls for me.
    What? After tasting nuts for the first time you are swearing off balls.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nuts were room temp......Gotta draw the line in the sand at some point.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmm.......no,....I don't wanna know........
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I joined in in spirit, after all the martini talk I had been buying the supplies anyways. This is a good idea. It gives me the excuse to get bar supplies. 
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old fashioned sounds good
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna start practicing. Are we settled on the old fashioned or some slight variation of it?
  • Options
    Would think some variant would be fine, didnt want to crash the martini party with my rolling rock but know the boyz wouldn't mind.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    I was drinking a barrel stout and they only ribbed me a little bit
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was drinking a barrel stout and they only ribbed me a little bit
    Dirty Savages!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    Spectator value can be pretty high watching heathens drinking cocktails. There was a short shirt & tie moment.
  • Options
    @CharlieHeis is a real classy guy when we can get him to wear pants.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good. Always wanted to try an old fashioned 
  • Options
    ice sphere molds are on the way. This is my first try even though I'm under equipped. 2 shots bird dog bourbon, 1 sugar cube muddled with 2 dashes of orange bitters and a maraschino cherry. 
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those that want a simple Old Fashioned for the nights, no need to run out and grab bitters if you don't have them.

Toss an orange slice, a marichino cherry and a sugar cube in a glass. Muddle well (get the oils from the orange peel). Add 2 ounces of bourbon or rye (I prefer rye), and strain into rocks glass. Add a splash of club soda, and garnish with orange wheel. 

We drink these guys out camping all the time. Mix them in a Yeti rambler and you can enjoy them all night.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Perhaps I misconstrued the meaning of muddle. Do you just beat it around together?
  • Options
    I believe old fashioned recipes are the only place I have seen the term muddle.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    I believe old fashioned recipes are the only place I have seen the term muddle.
    Mojitos as well

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Isn't it like smashing/smashing?
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20110524muddlersjpg
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think smash and grind. Its a process designed to release oils from either mint or citrus.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    You have real old fashioneds and then Wisconsin old fashioneds
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Curds & snout?
  • Options
    It is either Brandy or Whiskey and then sweet or sour.  More of a mixer, has the same elements as a true old fashioned but more soda
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    edited April 2018
    According to my Google fu, there's a special place for people who soda an old fashioned but I'll have to try that myself
  • Options
    Come to every supper club in our state and you will see it made this way.  I prefer a real old fashioned however the WI version is pretty dang good.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!