Home General Discussion
Options

Monthly cocktail vHerf

Comments

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good, Luke

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ended up having to go to a bigger better liquor store today for goodies. Got the necessities for both a negroni and the blood and sand. Tonight I thought I'd try the negroni. It's quite unique. The juniper in the gin and the woody spice of the campari make for a very sharp taste but clean finish. The appearance is almost that of an old fashioned minus the cherry but far redder in color and much sweeter
    That looks delicious. The blood and sand is the one I can't wait to try.
  • Options
    I'll have to drop in on you guys in a few weeks once I let the drinking commence lol. Until then I'll enjoy yours 🤣
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll try the blood and sand tonight. I may have to pop into the store for some proper glassware though
  • Options
    Turns out it's acceptable to do a blood and sand in a rocks glass. Couldn't find heering cherry though.The fresh squeezed orange juice makes it a little cloudy but the red appearance and orange garnish almost make it look like the negroni from last night. This is shaken with ice and then strained so it maintains a little more heat than the negroni but is still very sweet. The scotch is almost entirely masked by the citrus, cherry and vermouth so I would be comfortable saying this could be a scotch cocktail for people who don't care for scotch.
  • Options
    Sounds like that's right up my alley.  Thanks for the reviews 
  • Options
    I think the negroni is a more visually appealing drink due to the clarity. I also like the taste better. It had a Mediterranean/middle East spice to it where the blood and sand was run by the cherry. Of the two, I would say the blood and sand is actually sweeter. I have a taste for neat scotch so I've never tried to mask it with anything. If the smoky, rich flavor of scotch is something you like, it is not present in the blood and sand. I find myself engrossed with the campari portion of the negroni. I can't put my finger on what that spice is. My wife smelled it and said it smelled like my cigars and I do notice a slight cedar note to it.
  • Options
    I think the negroni is a more visually appealing drink due to the clarity. I also like the taste better. It had a Mediterranean/middle East spice to it where the blood and sand was run by the cherry. Of the two, I would say the blood and sand is actually sweeter. I have a taste for neat scotch so I've never tried to mask it with anything. If the smoky, rich flavor of scotch is something you like, it is not present in the blood and sand. I find myself engrossed with the campari portion of the negroni. I can't put my finger on what that spice is. My wife smelled it and said it smelled like my cigars and I do notice a slight cedar note to it.
    It's been a while but I want to say it was reminiscent of clove / anise...
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @Trish that's got to be it. So which one do we make to get you on the vherf?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I also has just occurred to me that I might not be able to partake. I have once again scheduled a weekend at my parent's. "Getting drunk and yelling at strangers on the internet" is frowned upon there. Perhaps I could sneak on for just one
    Post edited by Captain_Call on
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell them we're not strangers.,,
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    Tell them we're not strangers.,,
    I second that Peter! As for the yelling it helps some if us to hear you better lol.

It'll be a few weeks before I'm enjoying the drinks but one day I'll make an appearance 😁
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also has just occurred to me that I might not be able to partake. I have once again scheduled a weekend at my parent's. "Getting drunk and yelling at strangers on the internet" is frowned upon there. Perhaps I could sneak on for just one
    Tell your dad, we'd like to meet him. 

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    That would fly about as well as the Hindenburg. How would I even ask? Hey pops, the strangers on the internet want to meet you. Here's a smoke and a scotch, buckle up.

He's one of the gen x that didn't adapt quite so well to internet social behaviors. He's spent his whole adult life in a somewhat political position through his employment in the public school system so he has very strong views on all vices since it would be so detrimental to his position. To be seen with me while I was smoking and drinking, even if he was partaking in neither, would be scandalous enough to cause uproar in their small community. It's unfortunate but it's the double life I'll have to lead while I'm visiting.

I'll see if I can hide in the garage for an hour with something small. And I'll see if it was the quantity that caused the issue last time. Repeat the experiment with different variables. It's for science
    Post edited by Captain_Call on
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds fun, see you at 8pm??
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    No promises but I'll see if I can put together a gentle intro to our degeneracy. When do we expect Patrick to come on?
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You fvckers just enjoy your alcohol while I am slaving away working for the man.

Maybe next month
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done it before, and hopefully I'll have the chance to do it again.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    dirtdude said:
    You fvckers just enjoy your alcohol while I am slaving away working for the man.

Maybe next month
    Haters gonna hate.... hehehehe 
  • Options
    Got the Campari and sweet vermouth for the Negroni....nope, neither the wife or I care for it. Oh well, next!

• Options
    It's a strange taste. I'm sure there's something else that will use it later. The suggestion box for next month is open though.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scotch
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Just scotch?
  • Options
    Just scotch?
    Scotch & cigars, silly....
  • Options
    You could do an ice cube if you like
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    I'm on board, but I'm not sure it qualifies as a cocktail.
  • Options
    I'm on board, but I'm not sure it qualifies as a cocktail.
    Does it qualify if you add an umbrella? 
  • Options
    Scotch and water...now its a cocrail
    Team O'Donnell FTW!