Home General Discussion
Options

Monthly cocktail vHerf

Comments

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drinking my drink, smoking my smoke.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where everyone is?
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Image may contain text
    You can’t listen to him, he’s drunk and talking to himself 
  • Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadman said:
    peter4jc said:
    Image may contain text
    Woah dm... that's EXACTLY why you must listen... he's the voice of reason...
  • Options
    Trish said:
    deadman said:
    peter4jc said:
    Image may contain text
    Woah dm... that's EXACTLY why you must listen... he's the voice of reason...
    So that’s where I’ve been going wrong 
  • Options
    Yes sir, he's the good time to be had and the hangover we curse in the morning lol
  • Options
    @deadman, @Trish where we're you? Thought you'd be on the vherf. 

• Options
    Was layin low drinkin my shirley Temple lol
  • Options
    Going to get on one of the days. I was out by 12:30, been up since 3 am 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    As much as I like martinis, I'm starting to get a taste for old fashioneds, especially with freshly pitted cherries soaked in Canadian Whisky; made with Bulleit Rye, orange and regular bitters, and simple syrup.

So, what are we thinking of for next month?  If we go for rum, we can do a Cuba Libre or a Havana Club.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    63Pro63Pro Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Yakster said:
    As much as I like martinis, I'm starting to get a taste for old fashioneds, especially with freshly pitted cherries soaked in Canadian Whisky; made with Bulleit Rye, orange and regular bitters, and simple syrup.

So, what are we thinking of for next month?  If we go for rum, we can do a Cuba Libre or a Havana Club.
    Manhatten!
    Made with WhistlePig 10 year Straight Rye, Martini and Rossi Sweet Vermouth, Angostura aromatic bitters and Luxardo Maraschino Cherries.

Post edited by 63Pro on
    No one ever learned anything by doing right the first time!
  • Options
    Hmm, I have most of the ingredients.
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on board with the rum idea. Maybe something that's a little thinned down. The old fashioned night laid me out.
  • Options
    63Pro said:
    Yakster said:

Manhatten!
    Made with WhistlePig 10 year Straight Rye, Martini and Rossi Sweet Vermouth, Angostura aromatic bitters and Luxardo Maraschino Cherries.

That sounds like what @firehouseguy was making in the first few days
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    If you haven’t tried one, you need to. The Manhattan is pretty versatile but if you choose to stay historical and true, using a good Rye Whiskey is the key. WhistlePig is pricey but there are others that are good and less expensive. Luxardo cherries are a must however. They are not cheap at $20 a jar but totally worth it. Not sure which cigar pairs with this drink but that’s secondary. Enjoy!
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on board with the rum idea. Maybe something that's a little thinned down. The old fashioned night laid me out.
    Ok.......151 proof, flaming rum shots it is.  B)
  • Options
    ForMud said:
    Let the alcohol burn off and it should be tolerable. 
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojitos anyone?  >:)
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ForMud said:
    Let the alcohol burn off and it should be tolerable. 
    I have some 151 I use to clean out pipes! Never even tried to drink it.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    63Pro said:
    If you haven’t tried one, you need to. The Manhattan is pretty versatile but if you choose to stay historical and true, using a good Rye Whiskey is the key. WhistlePig is pricey but there are others that are good and less expensive. Luxardo cherries are a must however. They are not cheap at $20 a jar but totally worth it. Not sure which cigar pairs with this drink but that’s secondary. Enjoy!
    I really like Four Roses in a Manhattan. Woodford too, it has a little bit of a bite. Althouhh neither one is a rye. Maybe my favorite cocktail.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    63Pro said:
    I really like Four Roses in a Manhattan. Woodford too, it has a little bit of a bite. Althouhh neither one is a rye. Maybe my favorite cocktail.
    Those are great choices! I have mixed 1/2 Gentleman Jack (1 oz.) and 1/2 Chivas 18 Scotch (1 oz.) with 1 oz. of Antica Formula and 2 dashes Angostura Aromatic Bitters for an incredibly smooth and rich Manhattan topped only with Luxardo Maraschino Cherries! Thats the beauty of the Manhattan. You can go old school, or, something else school! My favorite is still the WhistlePig-Antica Formula-Angostura. I have Old Overholt Bonded and Rittenhouse as well just for mood. ;)
  • Options
    TX98Z28 said:
    Sorry bro, those make me ill. :s
  • Options
    63Pro said:
    63Pro said:
    Those are great choices! I have mixed 1/2 Gentleman Jack (1 oz.) and 1/2 Chivas 18 Scotch (1 oz.) with 1 oz. of Antica Formula and 2 dashes Angostura Aromatic Bitters for an incredibly smooth and rich Manhattan topped only with Luxardo Maraschino Cherries! Thats the beauty of the Manhattan. You can go old school, or, something else school! My favorite is still the WhistlePig-Antica Formula-Angostura. I have Old Overholt Bonded and Rittenhouse as well just for mood. ;)
    Huh, never thought of a Scotch Manhattan. I did recently try the whistle pig and was impressed. 
  • Options
    firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    White Russian or a variation on it?
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • Options
    White Russian or a variation on it?

+1

• Options
    I'm looking at coffee liqueur recipes now.
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mudslides? Those are delicious. Also, bushwackers which started in St Thomas. They are also fantastic
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    White Russian or Cuba libre gets my vote. Might even get the wife drinking on those nights. She likes sweeter thinned down stuff
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Be careful what you wish for bro.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63Pro said:
    TX98Z28 said:
    Sorry bro, those make me ill. :s
    The secret is not to drink the whole bottle of rum while drinking them 🤫
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.