Home Non Cigar Related

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking back at those early days, when we were expecting information and help from China to protect ourselves from the virus originating there, let's consider a few other things as well.

1. China closed their doors to outsiders coming in, like Trump wanted to, but continued exporting goods as if nothing were happening.
    2. China sent us the DNA sequence of the virus, but got it wrong. How'd that happen? Coincidence?
    3. China told us that their experience was early ventilator use was critical to facilitate recovery, and we started building them as rapidly as possible, diverting other resources. Turns out, early ventilation exacerbates Covid related pneumonia and death. Hmm...
    4. China warned us against using steroid or non-steroid anti-inflammatories, stating that this would exacerbate the inflammation caused by this new, Chinese virus. Turns out the most effective available treatments so far have been combinations of NSAIDS and steroidal anti-inflammatory agents. Boy, these coincidences sure are stacking up!
    5. China is steadily ramping up its Naval presence in the Pacific, especially in crucial areas that could affect trade for Japan, Taiwan, Philippines. The Russians are getting pretty sassy, too.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Final hint: The Chinese take the LONG view of world politics.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meanwhile in America...

Sleepwalking

--Modest Mouse

I fell in love and I needed a road map
    To find out where you lived, so excited now
    Sleepwalking
    'Cause I'm sleepwalking

The white trash boys listen to their headphones
    Blasting white noise in the convenience store parking lot
    I hung around there wasting my time
    Hoping you'll stop by

'Cause I'm sleepwalking
    I'm sleepwalking

A mutual friend's parents left town for a week
    So we raided their liquor stash and walked down to the riverside
    Sleepwalking
    'Cause I'm sleepwalking

what's up with Canada?

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Looking back at those early days, when we were expecting information and help from China to protect ourselves from the virus originating there, let's consider a few other things as well.

1. China closed their doors to outsiders coming in, like Trump wanted to, but continued exporting goods as if nothing were happening.
    2. China sent us the DNA sequence of the virus, but got it wrong. How'd that happen? Coincidence?
    3. China told us that their experience was early ventilator use was critical to facilitate recovery, and we started building them as rapidly as possible, diverting other resources. Turns out, early ventilation exacerbates Covid related pneumonia and death. Hmm...
    4. China warned us against using steroid or non-steroid anti-inflammatories, stating that this would exacerbate the inflammation caused by this new, Chinese virus. Turns out the most effective available treatments so far have been combinations of NSAIDS and steroidal anti-inflammatory agents. Boy, these coincidences sure are stacking up!
    5. China is steadily ramping up its Naval presence in the Pacific, especially in crucial areas that could affect trade for Japan, Taiwan, Philippines. The Russians are getting pretty sassy, too.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Final hint: The Chinese take the LONG view of world politics.

Trump's fault.
    Elect the guy in China's pocket.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    what's up with Canada?

Maybe they think it'll take 4 doses instead of 2.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    what's up with Canada?

Going to get us back for our lower taxes

Today, while at the gym for yoga, I visited the pickleball court to cadge a link to signupgenius.com so's I could tell when they play. At signupgenius, I spotted a posting by New Castle County, for pickleball at a park, to wit:

nccc safety and health protocol to be followed. Wear facing coverings when not playing. Maintain 6' social distaning off court. Nets not available due to health risk.

Near as I can tell,, "nccc" is somehow an acronym for New Castle County, "facing coverings" stands for "face covering", "social distaning" mean spall czech don' wurk unles u uze it, and "Nets not available due to health risk" means... WTF?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

New rules here today. All manufacturing has to wear a mask even if you are socially distanced. Exception is lunch while eating. My boss takes everything as literal as possible so no more morning coffee at the desk.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

Now, as the pandemic infiltrates the White House, Congress and statehouses across the nation, Republicans bear the brunt of those infections, a USA TODAY analysis shows. At least 81 elected officials in state and federal government roles have tested positive for the coronavirus since Sept. 1, just as the nation's case counts were about to rebound. Nearly three out of four are Republican.

But they won't die just because the media tells them they will.

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

The U.S. reported 3,124 COVID-19 deaths Wednesday, a single-day toll worse than 9/11. Over the past seven days, the U.S. has reported 15,927 deaths – equivalent to 95 per hour, or one death every 38 seconds – breaking a record set in April. At the current pace, the U.S. death toll from the entire pandemic could reach 300,000 in just a few days.

Not all health care workers want to be first in line to receive the vaccine. Only one-third of a panel of 13,000 nurses said they would voluntarily take a vaccine, another third said they wouldn’t and the rest said they were unsure, according to a late October survey by the American Nurses Association.

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you and your family stay safe @First_Warrior

@silvermouse said:
    The U.S. reported 3,124 COVID-19 deaths Wednesday, a single-day toll worse than 9/11. Over the past seven days, the U.S. has reported 15,927 deaths – equivalent to 95 per hour, or one death every 38 seconds – breaking a record set in April. At the current pace, the U.S. death toll from the entire pandemic could reach 300,000 in just a few days.

Not all health care workers want to be first in line to receive the vaccine. Only one-third of a panel of 13,000 nurses said they would voluntarily take a vaccine, another third said they wouldn’t and the rest said they were unsure, according to a late October survey by the American Nurses Association.

And now to figure out how many of those were actual covid deaths and how many were other deaths while also having covid. It seems this year, fewer people are dying of other causes. I don't buy the numbers game they have been playing.

doesn't matter ^ they were alive before they got sick.

Someone in congestive heart failure gets covid then dies of a heart attack is a covid death? Voodoo math right there.

A person has a heart attack while being robbed, the robber shoots him when he starts yelling for help. It's the bullet that killed him....

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Schools went back to virtual only starting Monday. We’ve been getting a call a day from one or both schools about a new case.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@First_Warrior said:
    Avery County where we live has the highest rate of infection in NC. I went to our post office to mail the lotto win to Travis and no postal workers were wearing masks. I went to our local hardware store where I have done business for 40 years and no one was wearing masks. I asked about the masks at the hardware store and was told "God will protect us" my reply " how about giving Him a little help"

We have the same phenomenon going on over here in West TN. I ask people: "Have you ever actually read your Bible? God has allowed many, or even most of his favorite human beings to suffer horribly while here."

He, or She if you're so inclined, has given you the intelligence and the freedom to protect and defend yourself while you're here, unless his plans are otherwise. What you do with your incredibly short amount of time on earth is up to you. God knows you on both sides of the grave.

At least, that's how I see it.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@silvermouse said:
    A person has a heart attack while being robbed, the robber shoots him when he starts yelling for help. It's the bullet that killed him....

YABBUT...

I read that the average age of Wuhan death in this country is 78 and long change. The average age you die in this country is also 78 and long change.

I read elsewhere that total deaths for the year by this month in 2018 were only a couple thou less than this year. I tried to verify that at CDC, but have not found the numbers yet. I am assuming they aren't comparing this year to 2019 cause last year was a bad flu year. I dunno.

However... If you put these things together you can just about conclude that most anyone who cacked from Covid woulda cacked anyways.

The rest is the usual diet of F.U.D.

Like going to war cause of WMD
    or going to war cause of the domino effect
    or destroying capitalism cause it is getting warmer
    or the hole in the ozone, the year 2000, global cooling, the Mayans, whatever.
    F.U.D. works. Been the standard way to rule the masses since time immemorial. Put your hands between my hands or the Vikings will come get you. Get me more sacrifices for the altar or the moon will swallow the sun.

From an Assyrian clay tablet dated 2800 B.C.:

Our Earth is degenerate in these later days; there are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; every man wants to write a book and the end of the world is evidently approaching.

I'm thinking the Assyrian king prolly used this as an excuse to steal your beer and put someone he didn't like to death.

This pandemic will prolly end up endemic regardless.
    Interesting to see how this vaccine works out. Cool how fast they pumped it out.

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will only say this: SIL works in a Nursing Home went from 0 to 50% positive overnight. Half residence dies. OK they were old, I get it. SIL caught it and her partner caught it from her. In 10 days SIL was cleared to return to work while her partner was in the ICU. A couple days later her partner is gone. No matter what the doctors did she kept getting worse. I can attest that was two fairly healthy people that Covid, 50% of them died from it. Are numbers padded? I believe they are, I also know it is for real. Wear a mask, stay away from people, but live your life and hopefully we will get back to normal

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Pompeo quarantining after coronavirus exposure
    Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is quarantining after coming into contact with someone who tested positive for coronavirus, but he himself "has been tested and ...
    CNN
    1 hour ago

Hundreds of invitees skip Mike Pompeo’s indoor holiday party at State Department
    Only a tiny fraction of the more than 900 guests invited to an indoor holiday party hosted by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and his wife Susan showed up on ...
    The Washington Post
    16 hours ago

@BullSquatch said:
    I always side with freedom.
    It should be up to you to wear a mask or not.
    It should be up to you to open or close your own business.
    It should be up to you to be a patron of those businesses or not.
    Don't feel safe in a certain venue or business, then don't go.
    Don't feel your children will be safe, keep them home.
    Believe they will be okay? Then send them to school.

Freedom Gents, Freedom is always the answer.

Yeah, good effin luck with that. The wife just got lectured by a Costco cashier yesterday who objected her mask did not cover her nose. The wife said "I can't breathe." So the cashier closed her aisle and left.

• BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

@webmost said:

@BullSquatch said:

Yeah, good effin luck with that. The wife just got lectured by a Costco cashier yesterday who objected her mask did not cover her nose. The wife said "I can't breathe." So the cashier closed her aisle and left.

The great thing about your money, is you choose where to spend it.

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
    "...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
    Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner

@BullSquatch said:

@webmost said:

@BullSquatch said:

The great thing about your money, is you choose where to spend it.

The Governor Has Decreed