Home Non Cigar Related

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not surprised. I had a viral lung infection, not CoV, a few years ago and now have the lung capacity of an 87-year-old. I dread getting infected again.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

And here in WI, the govt is rolling out Phase 1B of the vaccine. Here's the list of citizens who can avail themselves;

70+
    Teachers
    Child Care
    Prisoners
    Mink Farmers

I'm wondering what the deal is with Mink Farmers. Do Mink Farmers have such a powerful lobby in Madison? They took grocery store workers off the list, but left on the Mink Farmers.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:

And here in WI, the govt is rolling out Phase 1B of the vaccine. Here's the list of citizens who can avail themselves;

70+
    Teachers
    Child Care
    Prisoners
    Mink Farmers

I'm wondering what the deal is with Mink Farmers. Do Mink Farmers have such a powerful lobby in Madison? They took grocery store workers off the list, but left on the Mink Farmers.

The jokes are fun, and shouldn't be discouraged, but mink are one of the few animals that can get the virus from humans. If one gets it, then the whole stock needs to be culled, bankrupting the farm.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think it’s because it seems to mutate quickly in minks. Culled millions in rug rom this

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ferrets share their immune system with humans as well. Susceptible to the same viruses etc.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

A veritable fount of information, ye are, a wellspring of truth I say!

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

@First_Warrior said:
    Got the first dose of Moderna yesterday. I was waiting on the VA to call and schedule but a opportunity to get it locally came about. Got in line at 7:30 and was done by 10:15. Slightly sore arm but back to work loading the trash and recycling in the truck for a trip to the dumpster site.

Mine did not hurt much until the 2nd and 3rd day, then overnight no pain at all.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

@Trykflyr_1 said:

False Equivalence: The Problem with Unreasonable Comparisons

https://effectiviology.com/false-equivalence/

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey thanks for that effectiviology site, mouse. I'll have to poke around in that place.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:

@Trykflyr_1 said:

False Equivalence: The Problem with Unreasonable Comparisons

https://effectiviology.com/false-equivalence/

Someone should point the FDA towards this site.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice how they just drop this line at the bottom that basically invalidates the whole article

"None of the studies were peer reviewed or published in medical journals."

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rereading my comment and I didn't mean to come off crotchety Edward. And I'm curious about the ongoing and future studies that will most likely be taking places. My point was just to point out the dubious reporting under a seemingly alarmist article title.

I didn't take it as crotchety. However the title of the article is Emerging evidence suggests new coronavirus variant could be problematic for vaccines....

New mutations raise specter of ‘immune escape’

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/371/6527/329

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • PeachesPeaches Posts: 14 ✭✭

Wearing two masks would be effective if it weren’t for the fact that a virus to even an N95 mask weave if like trying to stop mosquitoes with a chain link fence...

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

So I'm guessing the author of "V is for Vendetta" was Nostradamus?

Along those lines, I saw a news clip yesterday about corona-sniffing dogs. Supposedly the dogs are trained to sniff out the virus, handlers will be taking the dogs to public areas and generally just sniffing around, purportedly identifying virus victims.

I suppose all of you who trust the Government will tell me that it's a good idea.

Personally, if they actually implement it, I think it's just another way to get us used to the idea of being constantly subjected to search by authority. Kind of like the patently un-constitutional practice of drug-testing was.

I need to go concentrate on my coffee now, before I descend into JD-like ranting.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

A society that trades freedom for the allusion of security, deserves neither. Pretty sure that a mangled quote from some one famous.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

edited January 2021

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    Benny boy said that while arguing that the government should not intervene in the plights of frontier towns. He was saying that they moved out there to make their own way, and they should be allowed to do so.

Edit: I'm reading it a bit more, and it looks more likely that he was saying we should not intervene in the governance of the Indians beyond helping supply weapons as part of our treaties.

@silvermouse said:
    lol. Too late ^, lol.

See? I told y'all someone would like the idea.

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kid in quarantine at home again for exposure. My poor kids have had no education stability in the last year. I have lost track of how many times this is now.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

😂

China Deploys **** Swabs For Covid-19 Testing, Says It's More Accurate

https://apple.news/AslteuBHDTkGo-9Rcd_ySNw