Home Non Cigar Related

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because it decreases your chances of getting sick or making someone else sick?

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    I'm still not sure about this supposed vaccine and it's need. If I get the vaccine I can still contract the virus and I can still spread the virus, why the push for an ineffective "cure"?

It is supposed to lessen the symptoms, which I don't have a problem with. The chicken pox vaccine does the same thing. The problem I have is with such a blanket push to force everyone to get a vaccine that does nothing except lessen symptoms. I've had Covid-19. Twice. I survived both times. If I choose to feel the full thing instead of taking the vaccine it should be my choice, and I should not be treated like a pariah by an unknowing public who have been told that I am fighting against "herd immunity".

The vaccine is not a bad thing. I am not anti vax. I am anti false information and scare tactics.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

By what percentage?

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    I'm still not sure about this supposed vaccine and it's need. If I get the vaccine I can still contract the virus and I can still spread the virus, why the push for an ineffective "cure"?

Pretty sure it's 1 in10000 to catch if vaccinated.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

@d_blades said:

@ShawnOL said:

The breakthrough infection rate is the same as the secondary infection rate. Meaning if you've never had it, the vaccine can help. But that data also supports that if you already have, the vaccine doesn't do all that much.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wylaff said:

@d_blades said:

@ShawnOL said:

The breakthrough infection rate is the same as the secondary infection rate. Meaning if you've never had it, the vaccine can help. But that data also supports that if you already have, the vaccine doesn't do all that much.

Pretty much exactly what you'd expect, since you get anti-bodies in either case.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:

The powers that be have decreed that YOU are to take a beating. However, they have magnanimously given you a choice. You can receive your beating with a wooden spoon, or a 16 pound sledgehammer.

What's your decision?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

well, here's another good reason to not get infected:

"Ranjith Ramasamy, M.D., reproductive fertility expert at urologist from the University of Miami Health System, will discuss COVID-19 vaccines and male fertility.

Dr. Ramasamy and his team have recently published studies that found the COVID-19 virus can live in penile tissue for up to 7 months post infection and cause erectile dysfunction as well as in the testicles, which has implications for fertilty and potential sexual transmission "

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

...so that explains it!

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Professional golfer, John Rahm from Spain and ranked No.3 in the world, was told at the end of Round 3 on Saturday that he tested positive for COVID and wouldn't be allowed to finish the tournament on Sunday. The sad part is that he was in the lead by 6 shots and was almost a cinch to win... 1st place is ~$1.7M!!! Who knows what 2nd and 3rd place will be, but even if he fell apart and someone else got hot, he still would've taken home several hundred thousand dollars. On Monday he was informed that he came in close contact with someone who tested positive and was himself being tested daily as a result of that.

I realize that sports organizations need to have some protocols in place. But at this point in our nation's outbreak, this seems somewhat ridiculous; they're playing outside, the only one that Rahm actually needs to be in contact with is his caddie, and I can't think his being positive (and asymptomatic) puts anyone else in danger.

It's only my humble opinion but I think it's all gone too far.

I think it speaks more to the fact that he should have just gotten the vaccine, lol. If he's "healthy enough as a young athlete to not worry about the virus," then he should be strong enough to not have the vaccine affect him. 1.7M mistake! LOL...

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're absolutely right. It was his mistake that ultimately cost him. I still think protocols don't have to be as rigid in some instances.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

@VegasFrank said:

@peter4jc said:
    Professional golfer, John Rahm from Spain and ranked No.3 in the world, was told at the end of Round 3 on Saturday that he tested positive for COVID and wouldn't be allowed to finish the tournament on Sunday. The sad part is that he was in the lead by 6 shots and was almost a cinch to win... 1st place is ~$1.7M!!! Who knows what 2nd and 3rd place will be, but even if he fell apart and someone else got hot, he still would've taken home several hundred thousand dollars. On Monday he was informed that he came in close contact with someone who tested positive and was himself being tested daily as a result of that.

I realize that sports organizations need to have some protocols in place. But at this point in our nation's outbreak, this seems somewhat ridiculous; they're playing outside, the only one that Rahm actually needs to be in contact with is his caddie, and I can't think his being positive (and asymptomatic) puts anyone else in danger.

I think it speaks more to the fact that he should have just gotten the vaccine, lol. If he's "healthy enough as a young athlete to not worry about the virus," then he should be strong enough to not have the vaccine affect him. 1.7M mistake! LOL...

You can still carry and spread the virus. my understanding is that athletes in some sports will still be tested for Covid regardless of vaccination status. This seems to be up to the governing agencies.

@Wylaff said:

@VegasFrank said:

@peter4jc said:

You can still carry and spread the virus. my understanding is that athletes in some sports will still be tested for Covid regardless of vaccination status. This seems to be up to the governing agencies.

Yep, I'm tracking with that. However, depending on the vaccine, you have a 90% or so chance of not contracting it. Maybe had he gotten the vaccine, he would not have contracted covid-19. The stats guys play the odds...

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thing they got vaccinated, otherwise they might be in serious condition.

Seriously, hoping for the best for both of them.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

@Wylaff said:
    My brother-in-law and step dad are both in the ICU with the Delta variant. both were vaccinated as government employees.

This is why I still mask up at work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not worried at all about catching Corona virus myself. But I have two diabetics at home. One hasn't been vaccinated yet. Better to be as safe as I can be. Statistics.

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@Wylaff said:
    My brother-in-law and step dad are both in the ICU with the Delta variant. both were vaccinated as government employees.

This is why I still mask up at work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not worried at all about catching Corona virus myself. But I have two diabetics at home. One hasn't been vaccinated yet. Better to be as safe as I can be. Statistics.

Diabetics just ruin everything.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.11.21258690v1
    Abstract
    There is strong evidence for brain-related pathologies in COVID-19, some of which could be a consequence of viral neurotropism. The vast majority of brain imaging studies so far have focused on qualitative, gross pathology of moderate to severe cases, often carried out on hospitalised patients. It remains unknown however whether the impact of COVID-19 can be detected in milder cases, in a quantitative and automated manner, and whether this can reveal a possible mechanism for the spread of the disease. UK Biobank scanned over 40,000 participants before the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, making it possible to invite back in 2021 hundreds of previously-imaged participants for a second imaging visit. Here, we studied the effects of the disease in the brain using multimodal data from 782 participants from the UK Biobank COVID-19 re-imaging study, with 394 participants having tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 infection between their two scans. We used structural and functional brain scans from before and after infection, to compare longitudinal brain changes between these 394 COVID-19 patients and 388 controls who were matched for age, sex, ethnicity and interval between scans. We identified significant effects of COVID-19 in the brain with a loss of grey matter in the left parahippocampal gyrus, the left lateral orbitofrontal cortex and the left insula. When looking over the entire cortical surface, these results extended to the anterior cingulate cortex, supramarginal gyrus and temporal pole. We further compared COVID-19 patients who had been hospitalised (n=15) with those who had not (n=379), and while results were not significant, we found comparatively similar findings to the COVID-19 vs control group comparison, with, in addition, a greater loss of grey matter in the cingulate cortex, central nucleus of the amygdala and hippocampal cornu ammonis (all |Z|>3). Our findings thus consistently relate to loss of grey matter in limbic cortical areas directly linked to the primary olfactory and gustatory system. Unlike in post hoc disease studies, the availability of pre-infection imaging data helps avoid the danger of pre-existing risk factors or clinical conditions being mis-interpreted as disease effects. Since a possible entry point of the virus to the central nervous system might be via the olfactory mucosa and the olfactory bulb, these brain imaging results might be the in vivo hallmark of the spread of the disease (or the virus itself) via olfactory and gustatory pathways.

I don't know what I just read, but it sounds like it wasn't made by AJ. It totally sucks.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dain bramage sucks

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

That explains it-I'll show my wife. If I remember.

this is interesting, a possible therapeutic for viral infection:

https://peerj.com/articles/11686/

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything is pretty much back to normal here now Covid wise. Maybe 5-10% of people I see are wearing a mask indoors. Outside like 5% to none. There was a whole family of disc golfers up at the course two weeks ago or so and they were ALL wearing masks. When I went by passing on another fairway like 20 feet away from them this poor little brain washed girl said "look daddy! That mans not wearing a mask!" Hahaha they scattered to the next hole like ants.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • VisionVision Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

@TX98Z28 said:
    Everything is pretty much back to normal here now Covid wise. Maybe 5-10% of people I see are wearing a mask indoors. Outside like 5% to none. There was a whole family of disc golfers up at the course two weeks ago or so and they were ALL wearing masks. When I went by passing on another fairway like 20 feet away from them this poor little brain washed girl said "look daddy! That mans not wearing a mask!" Hahaha they scattered to the next hole like ants.

Go Trump GO!!

Edit:

Why is it brain washing if someone wants to, or to have their child wear a mask? Brain washing…. If it’s not your way it’s the fvcking wrong way. Let people feel safe behind their mask for gods sake. And speaking of god. I guarantee anti-maskers pray to a god they’ve never seen. Is that not brain washing?

@Vision said:

@TX98Z28 said:

Go Trump GO!!

Edit:

Why is it brain washing if someone wants to, or to have their child wear a mask? Brain washing…. If it’s not your way it’s the fvcking wrong way. Let people feel safe behind their mask for gods sake. And speaking of god. I guarantee anti-maskers pray to a god they’ve never seen. Is that not brain washing?

I never said I had a problem with her or her family wearing masks...did I? No.

A 6 year old girl should not be getting scared if someones not wearing a mask outside in a field 20 feet away down wind with all Covid restrictions lifted here...That is fvcking absurd.

I don't have a problem with people wearing masks. I have a problem with a 6 year old getting scared and freaked out because I'm not wearing one and I wasn't even near her or her family. If thats not brain washing then I don't know what is.

God has nothing to due with mask wearing nor Covid to clear that up.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.

@TX98Z28 said:

@Vision said:

@TX98Z28 said:

Go Trump GO!!

Edit:

I never said I had a problem with her or her family wearing masks...did I? No.

A 6 year old girl should not be getting scared if someones not wearing a mask outside in a field 20 feet away down wind with all Covid restrictions lifted here...That is fvcking absurd.

I don't have a problem with people wearing masks. I have a problem with a 6 year old getting scared and freaked out because I'm not wearing one and I wasn't even near her or her family. If thats not brain washing then I don't know what is.

God has nothing to due with mask wearing nor Covid to clear that up.

Not to s*** on a chess board or anything, but....

I am a member of a family that is very mask strict. I have a couple of type one diabetics in my family, including a 10-year-old child who is not yet old enough for the vaccine. I've read all the research on all of the preteen type one diabetics that have contracted covid and the one thing that I've learned is that it is as inconclusive as it gets.

When we go out, all five of us wear masks the whole time without a question. We have told our unvaccinated preteens that despite their masks, they should try to avoid non-mask wearers as much as possible.

I have a master's degree in statistics, and I'm not playing the probability game with my immunocompromised children.

I share that story just so the super anti maskers can understand that we are not brainwashing our children. We are doing what we think is right to protect them. Every family has a different circumstance and it's a little prejudgmental to call a kid brainwashed when maybe the kid is just being instructed. Maybe that kid had a heart transplant when he was born. Maybe he has asthma. Maybe he has diabetes.

It seems to me that those people deciding to avoid you shouldn't have put a hitch in your giddy up at all. Without trying to prejudge their circumstance, or yours, I wonder who the brainwashed one was in your story. Love you Harrison, just saying though...

Peter's analogy to religion was just that. A simple analogy. He didn't say it had anything to do with it. He said it was similar to a family indoctrinating young children into a religion, to believe in a God that they've never seen. It is, in fact, analogous.

Back to the regularly scheduled chess game...

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

The way I see it those that want to or need to wear a mask so be it. There was people in California that wore masks before this started and there will be people to continue to wear masks years from now. Personal choice is personal choice just don’t look down on others if it’s a different then yours.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

Why am I being looked at like a monster by the little girl and family for not wearing a mask then they run off to the next hole? Guess will never know, did give me a laugh though.

I think there is a big difference State by state etc. because everyone being masked up is not common here.

I do like Franks thoughts on her being instructed to wear it, especially if there are health problems.

Now back to bed