Home Non Cigar Related

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    I wonder what the infection rate in Afghanistan is?

Of course, who cares?

It's not like we still have American troops in Afghanistan, right?

We must not, because we haven't heard ONE SINGLE THING IN THE NEWS ABOUT AFGHANISTAN since the virus took over the world last March.

So, what's for supper? Red Herring, anyone?

Unless it is about Covid there has be hardly any international news at all.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

best to avoid hospitals I guess:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/acquiring-covid-19-in-the-hospital/2020/12/31/8cac8b82-3a50-11eb-9276-ae0ca72729be_story.html

"One afternoon, before my heart patient had died, I had a conversation with a hospital executive who told me: “I can’t afford to test my entire staff. No, it’s not the expense of the test, but the staff I would lose through furlough if the test came back positive.”"

"Since that first patient, I have seen five other cases of nosocomial covid in the past four weeks. The Mayo Clinic reported 900 employees who became covid-19 positive in just two weeks in November. Experts suspect it was due to nurses eating together during breaks."

"My experience tells me that nosocomial covid-19 is rampant, and hospitals are not sounding the alarm.'

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of the folks I used to work with are coming down with it, or their family members are. Right now, my son is working at a "Covid Hot Spot" facility in TX. Prayers are welcomed.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Holding you in the Light, Peter.

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://ogdaa.blogspot.com/2021/01/off-to-camps-with-you.html?m=1

New York State has finally gone full blown nanny.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...

@Trykflyr_1 said:
    https://ogdaa.blogspot.com/2021/01/off-to-camps-with-you.html?m=1

New York State has finally gone full blown nanny.

IF that's true, you're right. However, reading the comments following the blog indicate that mental illness, not Covid-19, is New York's greatest threat.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course mental illness is their biggest problem, it's a blue state.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

There's myriad reasons why I don't live there any longer. I've been trying to get my mom to move for decades.

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

If anyone is so inclined and concerned enough to follow science, an immunologist friend of mine has started a podcast with another fellow scientist:

https://www.unbiasedscipod.com/?fbclid=IwAR11iXDMygK6dWBrfiuL0bIWpxHA8HMvQV-G-pRi396DXDrl8dxWEFSLp2A

Unbiased Science Podcast

They break down science into easily digestible pieces of information for anyone to follow. Being a biologist myself and having worked in science my entire professional career, I will always put my faith there.

Stay safe, everyone.

Cheers.

edited January 2021

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Looking back at those early days, when we were expecting information and help from China to protect ourselves from the virus originating there, let's consider a few other things as well.

1. China closed their doors to outsiders coming in, like Trump wanted to, but continued exporting goods as if nothing were happening.
    2. China sent us the DNA sequence of the virus, but got it wrong. How'd that happen? Coincidence?
    3. China told us that their experience was early ventilator use was critical to facilitate recovery, and we started building them as rapidly as possible, diverting other resources. Turns out, early ventilation exacerbates Covid related pneumonia and death. Hmm...
    4. China warned us against using steroid or non-steroid anti-inflammatories, stating that this would exacerbate the inflammation caused by this new, Chinese virus. Turns out the most effective available treatments so far have been combinations of NSAIDS and steroidal anti-inflammatory agents. Boy, these coincidences sure are stacking up!
    5. China is steadily ramping up its Naval presence in the Pacific, especially in crucial areas that could affect trade for Japan, Taiwan, Philippines. The Russians are getting pretty sassy, too.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Final hint: The Chinese take the LONG view of world politics.

Interestingly, China has refused to let in the British researchers sent by the W.H.O. to investigate Covid in Wuhan. The case is in the world courts today according to BBC. I wonder why that is? Also, China is admitting that they lied in regards to their "democratic / capitalist" intentions in Hong Kong. Anyone surprised? You shouldn't be.

I'm sure our new administration is eager to heal the rifts with this fine economic partner. You know, the ones we gave all our jobs and money to.

As is said regularly on Instapundit's site: Don't trust China. China is azzhole.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "brain fog" left behind after catching Covid sucks. It doesn't seem to be improving either, in fact it seems to be slowly getting worse. Everyone I've talked to who had it is going through the same thing.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

@Wylaff said:

The "brain fog" left behind after catching Covid sucks. It doesn't seem to be improving either, in fact, it seems to be slowly getting worse. Everyone I've talked to who had it is going through the same thing.

Brain fog is not good. It makes me forget what I'm doi...

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Brain fog? Is that similar to a brain cloud?

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Final hint: The Chinese take the LONG view of world politics.

It's called their 100 year plan. Should be ending around 2049.

Working for the Military, the plan is to Immunize everyone that works there

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@First_Warrior said:
    The Asheville VA started to immunize vets today. 75 and older first. I am 74. Staff got first shots last week. They say they will call me to make a appointment for my go-round.

I'm in the same boat. I'm 74 and my oncologist said they will call me when it gets to be my turn.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife found out they are making her wait an extra 2 weeks to get her second dose

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those conspiracy theorists that said covid would go away after the election. NY Gov. Cuomo has also said things need to reopen. Weird.

It wasn't a theory if it's coming true.

Gonna say it just once: Told ya so

Come and see the hypocrisy inherent in the system.

this sounds good if it works out to be effective and safe in humans...

ACE-2-interacting Domain of SARS-CoV-2 (AIDS) Peptide Suppresses Inflammation to Reduce Fever and Protect Lungs and Heart in Mice: Implications for COVID-19 Therapy

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11481-020-09979-8

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t find the article now but new evidence shows that even asymptotic patients showed more lung scaring from covid that lifelong cigarette smokers.