Home Non Cigar Related

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4857

New variant of the virus now attacking Britain

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just finished my 2 weeks of isolation and quarantine after testing positive for the Rona. Worse symptom is I cannot smell anything at all. Because of that my sense of taste is slightly off. Have been fatigued and sore with the occasional dry cough. I went all year business as usual and didn't get it until all these mask rules and what not which is strange. I have always been obsessed with washing and sanitizing my hands and work space. Imagine I was exposed at work. Coworker I work with notified me he tested positive. Of course my employer never notified me. I knew I had it once I farted in bed and the wife hit me with the Bath and Body Works air freshener and I could not smell it. Wife and kids don't have it. We have a spare basement bedroom I isolated in the entire time. Going back to work tomorrow. Unfortunately it put a damper on Christmas since my company will only pay me 4 days pay. I am out almost an entire paycheck. We don't get paid sick days. My buddy from work that I hadn't been around is hospitalized with it. His name is Mark of you want to say a prayer for him and his family.

Just wanted to check in. Someone sent me a private message and I haven't been on here since February. Have been avoiding smoking all year since its supposed to make Covid worse. I will let you guys know how the first smoke after is once I can smell again.

• VisionVision Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:
    https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4857

New variant of the virus now attacking Britain

Click bait proven to be BS.... I guess.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• VisionVision Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, this sucks:
    "I often liken viruses to code-cracking machines, continuously running the numbers until they find a new way to exploit whichever ecological niche they inhabit -- trillions of copies of a single virus each changing and adapting to every new challenge. Sometimes, we run up against a virus that learns how to crack our defenses faster than we can rebuild them. I fear SARS-CoV-2 may be one of them."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/24/opinions/coronavirus-variant-what-weve-learned-haseltine/index.html

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    well, this sucks:
    "I often liken viruses to code-cracking machines, continuously running the numbers until they find a new way to exploit whichever ecological niche they inhabit -- trillions of copies of a single virus each changing and adapting to every new challenge. Sometimes, we run up against a virus that learns how to crack our defenses faster than we can rebuild them. I fear SARS-CoV-2 may be one of them."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/24/opinions/coronavirus-variant-what-weve-learned-haseltine/index.html

This is exactly why we've never been able to cure the common cold, also a corona virus.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truly. It sounds bad to say, but eventually everyone who will die will die, and it will become endemic to the rest of us.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

@Wylaff said:
    Truly. It sounds bad to say, but eventually everyone who will die will die, and it will become endemic to the rest of us.

that's a grim prognosis for us high-risk folk--stay in quarantine or die.... I would rather a different mitigation strategy.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:

@Wylaff said:

that's a grim prognosis for us high-risk folk--stay in quarantine or die.... I would rather a different mitigation strategy.

I agree entirely. But keeping the entire world in quarantine while they try to find the solution can't last forever. I'm really hoping the nasal spray gets the attention it deserves.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/23/sorrento-therapeutics-antibodies-injection-nose-drops-to-fight-covid.html
    In theory it works by blocking the the protein receptors that the spikes connect to. It wouldn't neutralize the virus, but taken daily it would ensure that the virus can't take hold.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

Agree, we have to get back to some version of business as usual, perhaps without the cubicle farms and frat parties. In farming, growing acres and acres of the same plant is an invitation for plant disease unless heavy crop spraying is practiced. Likewise for humans. Back in the '50s there was an idea that decentralization of the population would be a good idea but it didn't float. Maybe now it is worth a second look.

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great point Edward! Back in school I studied cities as an organism, and the general thought was that the next evolution of cities would be towards more hamlets/villages, local produce and business as a response to globalization.

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far 13 confirmed people in my neighborhood have had Covid and all recovered, mostly Seniors and Elderly. Some are getting pneumonia from it. It's not going anywhere clearly so get used to it. Things will slowly go back to normal hopefully, the mask stuff is just preposterous...they do nothing but make people feel warm and safe...Government brainwashing at its finest, my 3M N95's do nothing as I have facial hair which prevents them from sealing to my face air tight and I'm not shaving.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.

Lucky neighbors. Stay safe, you don't want to be the one in a thousand.

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's that inconvenient data again.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...

@Trykflyr_1 said:

There's that inconvenient data again.

Knock it off with that data, will ya?

Masks make me feel like I'm doing something and that's what's important.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I'm surprised that with all the mask mandates, mask debates, and the general effort to convince everyone that masks are such an integral part of our arsenal of COVID defense,.......

...why does it seem like there is no great technological improvements or education as to improving the fit and function of masks. Seems like they want us to believe that if the nose and mouth is covered,.... all is well.

Those of us with prior experience with N95 protective masks know better. We know that a bandanna just ain't gonna cut it. But our elected officials are OK with sub-par protection.

My post has nothing to do with how some feel like the state is exerting control over us my making us do something that seems useless. That is part of a separate subsection of the debate. My curiosity has to do with my expectation that there would be some enterprising folks who would "build a better mousetrap" and make more types of masks that do what we would hope they would do,... block the viral particles instead of allowing them to flow straight out the sides/top/bottom of the mask, or at least ramp up production and promotion of superior masks that we already have like the N95 respirators.

I presume that the basic surgical masks and basic cloth mask are effective in reducing the forward projection of virus particles **from an infected individual, **but I believe that this is the only advantage. There is still plenty of virus particles that would escape from the sides or from any other area that allows air to bypass a basic cloth mask. And I presume that very little protection for the wearer and those around them is gained from these basic masks.

At least 33 countries have identified infections with the new, more contagious variant of the virus first found in Britain.
    Friday, January 1, 2021 3:46 PM EST

That list of countries that have identified infections involving the variant has been growing rapidly, and now includes — besides the United States and Britain — Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Lebanon, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, Portugal, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the infection rate in Afghanistan is?

Of course, who cares?

It's not like we still have American troops in Afghanistan, right?

We must not, because we haven't heard ONE SINGLE THING IN THE NEWS ABOUT AFGHANISTAN since the virus took over the world last March.

So, what's for supper? Red Herring, anyone?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain