Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@peter4jc said:
    Here's an interesting article from the Atlantic regarding the way hospitalization stats are not easily interpreted or entirely accurate.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/09/covid-hospitalization-numbers-can-be-misleading/620062/

Ask @EgoBoundary about his experiences in the last couple of weeks....

Nice wtf above. Whatever bro. Ernest will tell you about his own experiences in his own hospital that he works at. When he told me about it it didn't sound like a bunch of asymptomatic cases. Go ahead and WTF me all you want.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

I just post gifs the same way I post means. Lol.

Oh, and I don't know bro, did you WTF me? It's fine if you did. I just don't understand why. Go ask Ernest about his experiences. Hospitals are war zones right now.

I took my wife to the hospital a few weeks back and it looks like something out of Nigeria. I was waiting for the freaking goat to walk by. Wall to wall people, IVs held up with command strips to the wall. These people who couldn't breathe sucking oxygen and getting fluid sitting on the floor like a herd of animals.

But the Atlantic says something different I guess....

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go back and look... I gave you a Vote Up. In a serious conversation, if I give you a WTF, I will claim it and explain it.

The Atlantic (to me) generally has a too-obvious bias, so I don't read them very often. I was a bit surprised when they posted this article as it runs in the opposite direction of their normal stuff.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@peter4jc said:
    Go back and look... I gave you a Vote Up. In a serious conversation, if I give you a WTF, I will claim it and explain it.

The Atlantic (to me) generally has a too-obvious bias, so I don't read them very often. I was a bit surprised when they posted this article as it runs in the opposite direction of their normal stuff.

I am on my phone and so I can't see who my fanboys are 😆... I thought you were taking credit for it. My bad lol!

Always stay in the center lane...

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@peter4jc said:

I am on my phone and so I can't see who my fanboys are 😆... I thought you were taking credit for it. My bad lol!

Always stay in the center lane...

I've also had some occasional luck finding unbiased coverage by looking up news from newspapers in medium sized cities in red states. Generally, the city itself leans left and the surrounding suburbs lean right in those areas, and the city is too small to alienate half the readership by always having the same slant. Our own Des Moines Register here in Iowa is a good example, or rather, a less bad example.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

I generally get my un biased news of the US from Australia.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

India's largest state, population 241 billion, nearly 2/3 of US, has declared itself covid free. The reason, Ivermetin. Amazing what the unclean masses can get away with. Don't expect to hear about it from the mainstream talking heads.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

You might want to check this one out also where they compare the two Indian states from the previous two posts on this thread. Turns out the state having all the problems is vaccine dependant.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/09/huge-uttar-pradesh-india-announces-state-covid-19-free-proving-effectiveness-deworming-drug-ivermectin/

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    edited September 2021

I heard today the government is restricting/rationing shipments of Monoclonal antibodies, to states like Texas and Florida. I know Missouri recently set up four transfusion centers, to treat early cases of the 'rona with those treatments.

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

@dirtdude said:
    You might want to check this one out also where they compare the two Indian states from the previous two posts on this thread. Turns out the state having all the problems is vaccine dependant.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/09/huge-uttar-pradesh-india-announces-state-covid-19-free-proving-effectiveness-deworming-drug-ivermectin/

Always know your source.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gateway_Pundit

I’m not going to take information from them any more serious than an opinion piece from Britebart.

Some things to think about:
    India just saw a recent surge. Additionally, there have been massive efforts to step up vaccinations there (https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.timesofindia.com/city/lucknow/highest-in-india-ups-vax-rate-ahead-of-us-russia-mohfw/amp_articleshow/86129801.cms). So after a big spike, some natural immunity occurs. That, coupled with higher vaccination rates and the ivermectin argument becomes much more anecdotal.

Look, I’m not saying ivermectin is absolutely NOT a viable treatment for COVID. I’m saying I’m still waiting to see some data that supports this theory on an organismal level that can be effective at treating COVID without risk of toxicity to its host.

This also still avoids the topic of people being more than willing to take other drugs or treatments that they really have no idea about but are afraid of a vaccine that still has not killed a single person. Again, nobody has died as a direct result of receiving this vaccine. Yet, people are willing to call it dangerous, toxic, deadly, etc. Then, those same people will ask for a drug that hasn’t shown any evidence of being a viable treatment or for foreign antibodies when they get sick. I’m just confused.

• Options
    edited September 2021

Lol I love the disagree on Rob's post. I don't know about y'all, but I get all of my hard hitting world news from the Gateway Pundit. 😆

@Rob1110
    This also still avoids the topic of people being more than willing to take other drugs or treatments that they really have no idea about but are afraid of a vaccine that still has not killed a single person.

It's just rebellion. If trump were still president, everyone would take the shot.

Plus, plants crave brawndo.

• Options

Former President Donald Trump on Tuesday recommended the COVID-19 vaccine to his supporters, amid concerning recent polls showing Republicans are less likely to get vaccinated.

In a phone interview with Fox News’ Maria Bartiromo, Trump said: “I would recommend [the vaccine]. And I would recommend it to a lot of people that don’t want to get it, and a lot of those people voted for me, frankly.”

“And we have our freedoms and we have to live by that, and I agree with that also,” Trump added. “It’s a great vaccine and it’s a safe vaccine.”

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine for a moment that you're an Infantryman, dug in with your platoon waiting for the inevitable attack that you know is coming. The sun peeps over the horizon, and suddenly you hear a series of dull thuds nearby followed by the sound of distant artillery.

You peer out of your position to see massive clouds rising from the area where you heard the thuds.
    "Gas Gas Gas" you scream and begin donning your chemical mask and suit.

Suddenly, you notice that half of your platoon is standing up and refusing to suit up for the obvious nerve gas attack.

"We're not putting on no damn suits!" they cry "It's our right! We have a right to refuse to wear protective gear, guaranteed in the constitution!"

Others hover nervously about.

"Well, we might put on the suits, but we have 'questions'. How do we know it's really nerve gas? Maybe it's fake! Maybe they just want us to THINK it's nerve gas."

"Holy Mother of God", you think to yourself. "Should I just fvcking shoot them?"

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

First I would like Rob to know that is not my 'Disagree', but surely I disagree with most of his post. I do not see Wikipedia as a reliable source of information as anyone can be a contributor. Have you done the background on everyone that sourced the info for the gateway pundit? You evidently did not read the info about the population of India's most populated state being Covid free with less than 6% vaccinated, Sure, natural immunity has a case but take that discussion up with Saint Anthony Fauci who doesn't seem to have an answer. www.hindustintimes.com must not be approved by wiki.
    I have taken Hydroxy chloroquine daily as a prophylaxis for malaria while working in Africa. I take it once a week as a prophylaxis for the 'rona, it has a 21 day half life, I can't imagine what they were trying to kill having us take it everyday. Do your research, which apparently you are fond of Rob, Ivermectin and Hydroxy chloroquine have a long history of treating ailments. They are not big ticket items because of their long history, hydroxy is 60 cents a tab, not a priority for big pharma.
    Frank, I give not one single f#ck if former President Trump says the vaccine is safe. I believe in his America First agenda but the man is no bigger than Saint Fauci.
    Yea, I breathe with my mouth open and do no research on my own.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

Lol great post Randy! I'm also a mouth breather! 😆

The America first platform was brilliant in its construction, publicization, and execution. It's too bad that Trump doesn't actually believe in it. He might have even still been president if he did.

Sorry bro, but the gateway pundit really is cancer for the brain. Even Fox News, Breitbart, the guardian, and other right leaning or right wing media centers stopped carrying their stuff And using them as a source. They have run completely fictional pieces on a myriad of real news stories, like the 2016 election, the 2020 election, the Las Vegas shooting, the church shooting, multiple school shootings, a very hilarious revisionist history version of the 2012 election, A very sad and highly offensive conspiracy theory article on 9/11, and a lot lot more.

Cassandra Fairbanks, the outlet's golden child, is a complete and total whack job professionally and a complete and total dumpster fire personally. The very sight of her makes me want to go get a tetanus shot. She makes AOC look like Stephen Hawking. She even has a stripper name!

As for the hydrochloriquine and the vaccine and the masks and everything else, you just do you bro. I still love you.

The fact that people want to take a drug that is not approved to treat a disease in favor of a vaccine that is clinically and statistically proven to prevent the disease and treat it speaks more about our population's confidence in the federal government then it does about anyone person personally.

• Options

• Options

For everyone making the "these experimental, unapproved drugs are cheap and that's why the government doesn't want you taking them" argument, I paid exactly zero dollars for my vaccination. Pretty sure that's the going rate. If anyone has paid more than zero dollars, please let us know.

If that's the case, why would government want you to take a "more expensive" vaccine that they're paying for, over a cheap drug that you're willing to shell out your hard earned money for? Even if it's $0.60, that's still more than $0.00. If you're so anti-government, wouldn't you want to take their money? It's about time they give back, right?

• Options

@Rob1110 You're smarter than to think that way... The companies that made the vaccines got paid, so the fact it was free to you means nothing regarding that argument "these experimental, unapproved drugs are cheap and that's why the government doesn't want you taking them". Do you think D.C. cares about shuffling $$$ to big pharma? I don't, and would bet the house on plenty of that money making its way back to those in office.

@VegasFrank Going back to that silly video w/ the young lady with the attitude and her numbers regarding the odds. Her numbers might be right but her assumptions are not. Without even bringing up the whole mess of how COVID deaths are counted, unless that young lady's numbers are broken down into age groups and further subdivided into age groups w/ or w/o comorbidities, they're meaningless. To tell a 20 YO his odds of getting the virus and dying from it are 1:86 (made that up because I'm not watching the video again) because the odds were pulled from the number which included all the old and sick who died, is nonsense. What it does is tell that 20 YO that not only can't the study be trusted, but those (the gov't.) trying to sell the study can't be trusted either. You being a statistician, I'm surprised you weren't the first to point that out. Or, maybe you agreed with her and let her BS slide because she bolstered your case.

@Amos_Umwhat what you have there is a false equivalency. Nerve gas will kill you dead 100% of the time; COVID, not so much. In fact, it's pretty sure to not kill you. You could bring up other stuff, like 'we should all be vaccinated to stop it from spreading to those who are vulnerable' but that would be a different argument. Wearing a gas mask in the presence of a certain poison is not the same as getting vaccinated for a virus far less lethal. Which kinda brings me back to the idea in Frank's video, the odds. Your analogy's odds are off.

Just so you know, I'm fully vaccinated because I'm old and decrepit. But there are points to both sides of the argument that are valid, and I think both sides are overlooking some valid points the other side is making.

• Options

Paid for by taxes, yes. But if you skip the vaccination, do you get a tax break? You're paying those taxes either way, so might as well get something for it.

• Options

LOL.

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

These vaccines created 9 new billionaires. Trust me its not free.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

If you honestly believe that we will not pay for this (all of the “freebies” from this pandemic) down the road I have beach front property to sell you in northern Illinois. Nothing is free, the “government” paid, and paid a lot. The government is beyond broke, we will get the shoulder tap when the bill is due. Middle class always does, rinse, wash, repeat.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

@peter4jc said:

@Amos_Umwhat what you have there is a false equivalency. Nerve gas will kill you dead 100% of the time; COVID, not so much. In fact, it's pretty sure to not kill you. You could bring up other stuff, like 'we should all be vaccinated to stop it from spreading to those who are vulnerable' but that would be a different argument. Wearing a gas mask in the presence of a certain poison is not the same as getting vaccinated for a virus far less lethal. Which kinda brings me back to the idea in Frank's video, the odds. Your analogy's odds are off.

Well duh, it's not a perfect analogy, so let's ignore the applicable lesson in the story. Jesus's analogy wasn't perfect to my situation in his parable, he didn't mention cell phones, why should I believe anything he says? Also an imperfect analogy, but still a familiar theme today.

As for your more appropriate argument, "You could bring up other stuff...", have you read this thread? All the other stuff, logical arguments, facts, perfect analogies, or as close to that as can be, have already been said. How many more times is needed? It only took two atomic bombs to convince Japan. Oops, there's another imperfect analogy, since the Atom Bomb was 100% lethal. Except for to those who were somehow sheltered, just like the gas wasn't 100% lethal either, for those who put their masks on. More silliness.

And yes, there are some valid and even cogent arguments coming from "the other side", italicized because we're all in the same boat, there are no sides in the long run. The cogent arguments are all concerning the mandate, and I have to say that such mandates bother me deeply. Or will, should they come into being. That's because deep down, and not so deep down, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Libertarian.
    However, I'm a socially responsible libertarian. I understand that there are boundaries, often defined by public health issues.

There are also, certainly, cogent arguments for trying alternative cures. Want to try hydroxychloroquine or ivermectin? Fine with me. Use appropriate dosage caution, etc., have at it. Once upon a time the government data claimed that hydroxychloroquine had no significant effect in curing or preventing malaria, and that was pure horse-hockey. They're known liars, elected for being talented liars, and cannot be trusted, which is why you have to turn to science. Well done science. Peer reviewed science. This has all been presented, and refuted with largely emotive, muddy, unclear pseudo-science. Or, so it looks to me.

As far as cogent arguments against getting the vaccine, I have yet to see one. Not saying it doesn't exist, anything's possible, but it certainly doesn't look like it from what we know now.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain