Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Stupid **** that pops into my head

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    @Amos_Umwhat if your sister is literally telling you that you are horseshit simply because you are white and simply because you are Christian and simply because you are heterosexual, then I find that to be tragic. I feel sympathy for you brother.

And if that's the case, love your sister anyways. She's human, and she deserves it.

Oh I do love my sister, she has a tendency to parrot whatever the newest fad is, and in many ways she understands me quite well. She once gave me a T-shirt with Don Quixote on it, because I'm always championing ideals and beliefs that are considered passe today. Much like the Robert Duvall character in Second-Hand Lions, I tend to think that the things that may or may not be true are still the things worth believing in. That people are basically good, that good always wins, etc.

The one place where I tend to still disagree with you is when you read into my posts belief systems that I rejected long ago. (I'd say before you were born, but that sounds patronizing, and that's not my intent.)

Some of this may stem from the several times that you were arguing with Webmost, but tagged me in your posts instead. I finally called you on it the last time, mostly because I realized that you were developing a very wrong picture of who I am. Webmost and I sometimes agree, but we've had longer and more bitter disputes than you and I have ever had.

I still respect him, and his opinions, although I don't always agree. Same goes for you. I like having discussions with people who think, and we're not always going to agree. One thing you and I do agree on, per your posts above, is that when anyone thinks that they have the ONLY answer, the ONLY way, you can bet they're wrong.

I think that's the meaning of the expression:

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

Jim Jones was an example of that Buddha. My way is the only way, I'd be remiss to leave out Adolf Hitler and a host of others falling into this category.

Personally I prefer the Dalai Lama's take on it. He said that he'd met a number of people who wanted to "convert" from Christianity to Buddhism, or considered themselves to be Buddhist-Christians etc. The DL says that's a waste of time and energy, all that one needs to become enlightened can be found within your own cultural heritage, the religion you were brought up with, even if those in charge of that religion have lost their way. And they often have. Thus, Mohandas Ghandi's declaration "I like your Christ very much, your Christians not so much", or words to that effect.

In this light I reject my sisters "Wokeness", because she's not expressing that wokeness that you describe above, she's simply adhering to the new bigotry. They've changed the colors and the gender roles, but the same hatred seethes barely beneath the surface. The same "gotcha" mentality. What I wish for is to eliminate the bigotry itself from the human spirit, not just to switch sides and say "now you're shirts and we're skins" and keep playing the same game.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well @Amos_Umwhat, I certainly am not trying to project a stereotype onto you. Sometimes, my lazy thumbs translate jumbled thoughts into a shorthand that sends an unintended message. I'll try harder...

I have absolutely found you...and @webmost, by the way...to be far more than reasonable, even when we disagree or when I mistakenly confused you guys. In fact, my messaging in this first thread was mostly directed toward Shawn, if anything 😀.

I also wasn't insinuating that you didn't love your sister. I was only encouraging you to continue to love her despite her impressionability.

Anyhoo, happy new year to both of you....

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Happy new year guys, keep fighting the good fight. Even if that means disagreeing with yourself. No one gets it right the first time , if “right” is something that is even attainable or worth attaining. The journey in humility is good enough for me.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

What is it like in Pittsburgh right now.

Relief.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

So the guy that got the pig heart transplanted.

Is it cool to call him the pig man now?

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Five more months and the days will start getting shorter again.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

So is the heat/ac in an electric car like the heat pump setup for a home?

• Options

So why, in February of 2022, are the "most recent" threads in Cigar 101 and Ratings & Reviews showing up as being from September 2021? There's been plenty posted since then.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    So why, in February of 2022, are the "most recent" threads in Cigar 101 and Ratings & Reviews showing up as being from September 2021? There's been plenty posted since then.

Those threads are sticky so they stay at the top, I believe.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine were doing it too. Now it’s down to just one of them.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Similar I took this screen shot on the 5th and forgot to comment

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now it's changed

• Options

I miss the Oliva 2nds, haven't found a suitable yard 'gar replacement.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat -- ccom doesn't have them but a lot of other places do, including sister site CI....

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    I miss the Oliva 2nds, haven't found a suitable yard 'gar replacement.

I hear a certain "Page" has them...... 😉

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

"18 to dance, 21 to party!"

I was having an audio flashback. There were radio ads back in my hometown from my youth that advertised a night club to the north near the college town of Martin TN. (UT Martin) Not sure if I can correctly recall the name of the nightclub, (Century 21? maybe?) but their ads always ended with the phrase. "18 to dance, 21 to party!" Meaning if you were over 18 but under 21 you could get in, but you had to wear an armband or hand stamp that identified you as underage so you couldn't buy alcohol.
    @Amos_Umwhat You may have heard the same ads.

Is that phrase familiar to any of you from other parts of the country? Or was that only from my local memories.

• Options

There was one place on the Cape that did that, The Mill Hill Club.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    There was one place on the Cape that did that, The Mill Hill Club.

https://yarmouthcapecod.com/say-goodbye-to-the-mill-hill-club/
    Demolished and replaced by an old folks home. Maybe inhabited by some of the same folks at different times.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never heard that expression, my wife thinks she has, but it's not common here in California AFAIK.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Yakster said:
    My son left without finishing his pop-tart, so as I was making a PB&J for National Peanut Butter Lover's Day I put the pop-tart in the toaster and then put it on top of the sandwich as I carried it out on a tray to the patio for lunch with some chips and iced tea and an orange.

The heat from the pop-tart is making the wheat bread texture think the bread is stale when it's not. Don't put hot pop-tarts on your bread.

Or in your mouth.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm. What does the KY in KY Jelly stand for?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    Hmmmm. What does the KY in KY Jelly stand for?

Well, Shawn, I found this:

"Thank you for contacting Personal Products Company. We appreciate your interest in our products.
    The origin of the K-Y Brand name has never been clearly documented. Research scientists arbitrarily assigned the letters to the product. Thank you again for your inquiry."