Comments

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roses are red
    Violets are blue….

No, they are not.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do any of you know, without googling it, what mustard plaster is?

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:

A paste made with mustard powder to spread on a wound, scrape, or burn to promote healing or prevent infection. (?)

• Options
    edited January 12

Just my opinion but, seems like you googled that. Or maybe you have a dictionary handy. (Same thing)

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:

Honey works well too

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mustard oil is antimicrobial, I sometimes use a mustard plaster to get the dry rub to stick to my BBQ.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Bob_Luken said:
    Just my opinion but, seems like you googled that. Or maybe you have a dictionary handy. (Same thing)

You know what opinions are like... everbody has one.

I didn't google it, hence the question mark. Actually, I'm only partially correct. Upon googling afterwards, the paste is more about respiratory healing, not wound healing.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting, I thought it was for drawing boils.

• Options
    edited January 13

@Bob_Luken said:

@TRayB said:

@Bob_Luken said:

I didn't google it, hence the question mark. Actually, I'm only partially correct. Upon googling afterwards, the paste is more about respiratory healing, not wound healing.

Sorry I doubted you. But in my defense, you knew too much and wrote it down too well.

How so? Does it surprise you that someone might know what a plaster is? In addition to it being a building material, it's an old medicinal term for something used to cover a wound. If I would have spent a bit more time digging through my mind, I would have used the term "poultice" instead of "paste", which more accurately describes a medicinal plaster, but the term didn't come to me in the moment.

Why does it also surprise you that someone might be able to write something moderately intelligently on a cigar forum? There's plenty of people here who are educated, and write well. But even someone without formal education may still be familiar with terms and meanings that are somewhat obscure or unknown to many. It doesn't mean they are cheating, or lying, which you implied.

• Options

Shouldn’t have written the rest of it then.
    Everything I googled about mustard paste ( because I didn’t know) says it was for congestion and other ailments. Haven’t seen anything yet about wounds.

• Options
    edited January 13

@Rdp77 said:
    Shouldn’t have written the rest of it then.
    Everything I googled about mustard paste ( because I didn’t know) says it was for congestion and other ailments. Haven’t seen anything yet about wounds.

I try to avoid confrontation and insult if possible. I will delete the note about deleting some comments. ;)
    I did adjust or clarify my original reply by saying I was partially wrong, and that upon research, it was for congestion and respiratory relief, not wound healing.

• Options

Oh, and there are, not there’s, is what should be used in that instance.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why does it also surprise you that someone might be able to write something moderately intelligently on a cigar forum?

Just hang around a little bit and you will see why.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now let's talk Vinegar and Brown Paper, a la Jack & Jill. Why was Jack's head wrapped in vinegar and brown paper?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 13

@TRayB said:

@Bob_Luken said:

@TRayB said:

@Bob_Luken said:

Sorry I doubted you. But in my defense, you knew too much and wrote it down too well.

How so? Does it surprise you that someone might know what a plaster is? In addition to it being a building material, it's an old medicinal term for something used to cover a wound. If I would have spent a bit more time digging through my mind, I would have used the term "poultice" instead of "paste", which more accurately describes a medicinal plaster, but the term didn't come to me in the moment.

Why does it also surprise you that someone might be able to write something moderately intelligently on a cigar forum? There's plenty of people here who are educated, and write well. But even someone without formal education may still be familiar with terms and meanings that are somewhat obscure or unknown to many. It doesn't mean they are cheating, or lying, which you implied.

I cannot blame you for being insulted. I apologize.

However, in my defense......... Wait, never mind, I better not mess this up further.

Oh hell, I'll give it one more shot.
    Nope, that's crazy.

I summary, I intended all replies in jest and parody and not an accusation of a serious intent, so obviously I'm not as good at humor as I think I am.

Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options

@Bob_Luken said:

I cannot blame you for being insulted. I apologize.

Accepted and appreciated, Bob.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to watch this UK Chef drama where I learned that they call Band-Aids Plasters over there. You're supposed to wear a blue plaster when you're in food prep because no food is naturally that color, at least that's what they said. I guess they don't know about blueberries, etc. but it stuck. Nothing like finding a plaster in your soup.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

That happened to me once. I guess that if the bandage was blue Kitchen might see it in the soup before they served it to the customer. I have heard many horror stories from workers in the industry.

• Options

The reason I asked, the question was because I saw a cartoon. It was an old Warner Bros. cartoon from the 40s. A skunk, not necessarily Pepe le pew and a dog. it was an old Warner Bros. cartoon from the 40s. In the course of their conflict, The skunk, pretending to be a doctor, abusively treated the dog with a mustard plaster. I’d never heard of it. I googled it. I wondered how many of you knew of this. Turns out a few of you did.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wild Lobsters are, rarely, blue.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.