Comments

• Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be praying for you Jim 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza said:
    Having to have back fusion surgery and hoping you don't wake up.
    Please, please change your outlook, Jim.  

The mortality rate for the kind of surgery I had last isn't very good. I recall saying a brief, unspoken prayer as they were taking me to surgery. Just something to the effect of "please, Lord, don't let them lose me on the table".

i know of one other guy who had the same surgery that week. He didn't make it. 

My point is put your faith and trust in Whomever you pray to. It will generally provide comfort to you. And all of us here on the forum are gonna be pulling for ya and hoping for the best possible outcome.  <3
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he mean wake up during the surgery.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    At least I'm hoping.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    I think he mean wake up during the surgery.
    Well, my darling child bride suffers from chronic back pain so I'm kinda familiar with the discussion regarding not waking up at all after surgery. It doesn't apply to my wife but some people would look forward to it. I think Jim was referring to this..... 
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I think you're probably right, @jlmarta .  As someone who's experienced unrelenting back pain, I sympathize.  I always tell people that "the first 5 years was the worst". 
    It'll make you old before your time.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate when you put together a simple step by step diagnostic instruction manual for work and some d!ck has to email back that what I put wasn't the correct procedure, because it skips a few steps.

So my questions were,
    Does it accomplish the same results?
    By leaving out those steps, is anything missed?
    Is it worth spending an extra hour and ending up with the same results?

So then this person replies that they know it saves time, accomplished the same results, but it's not the manufacturer's procedure.

That's when I stop, go to my office, grab some gauze and tape it to my forehead, so I don't hurt myself when I beat my head against the wall.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate when you ask someone a yes or no question and they give you the deer in the headlights look and take 5 minutes to answer you.
    It's a simple yes or no. How hard is that?
    Nod your head for yes, shake your head for no.

And then when I go, "Ok, that's a no."
    They get all bent about it.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Pharmaceutical company lobbyists. 

Wannabe politicians who get in the way of their own feet.

Budweiser.

Electrical outages.

Poachers.

Ticks.

People who abuse animals.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Idiot landscapers and their customers. Two guys, across the street have just spent 3 hours with leafblowers removing the leaves from under the arbor vitae. It would have taken me 1/2 hour with a rake instead of 6 hours. Happy Earth Day!? Next, the neighbor will have them truck in cedar bark mulch. 
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    0patience said:
    I hate when you put together a simple step by step diagnostic instruction manual for work and some d!ck has to email back that what I put wasn't the correct procedure, because it skips a few steps.

So my questions were,
    Does it accomplish the same results?
    By leaving out those steps, is anything missed?
    Is it worth spending an extra hour and ending up with the same results?

So then this person replies that they know it saves time, accomplished the same results, but it's not the manufacturer's procedure.

That's when I stop, go to my office, grab some gauze and tape it to my forehead, so I don't hurt myself when I beat my head against the wall.
    Been there so many times. But I am retired now and I don't give a flying xxxx

But my favorite was "If they have an SOP why am I writing one?".
  • Options
    May 16th, 1986 I hurt my back working on Tank track.

Still hurts, and I still never know when it's going to f(*&ing spasm and REALLY hurt for a week or two.

Sigh... :(
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Cottenweed...

• Options
    ^ yeah, but your sky is blue, not grey like ours this month.
  • Options
    I work nights. I will trade you for every grey sky.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    I hate that I've reached the age when my hips require that I take ibuprofen after s e x.

Well, maybe hate's too strong, at the very least it's a mixed blessing!  :D

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May you have a plentiful variety of ibuprofen in your future.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Getting to work early only to find out supply truck has not even left the Distribution Center. Could have slept in a couple hours. Plus it puts everyone else behind on a shortened Holiday week. 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having to jump off the vHerf before finishing my cigar and my beer to pull an all-nighter for work.  Now I don't know if I should try and sleep or just stay up.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Yakster said:
    Having to jump off the vHerf before finishing my cigar and my beer to pull an all-nighter for work.  Now I don't know if I should try and sleep or just stay up.

I've been there and done that way too often in the last few years. My advice is to sleep now asap, but no more than four hours. After that get up and get active. Try not to be grumpy. If you are grumpy anyway,..... do not speak, do not make eye contact, stay busy doing man stuff. (cigars and whiskey,) and don't go to bed early tonight.
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options
    credit card fraud. Just got off the phone with the cc company....
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    credit card fraud. Just got off the phone with the cc company....
    That totally sucks, good luck clearing it up
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    one of the cigar etailers had a breach a few months ago, I suspect everyone's cc#s made their way to some dark web site. Got a notice from the etailer right after it happened saying they were offering free identity protection; I would have preferred they had better protection on their 'puters themselves.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know who you're talking about Edward... sorry you got stuck in that mess.  I had never bought from them before the breach, but I have since, thinking they ought to be the safest place now.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had many a customer call up to place an order who said: "You already have my credit card on file" "No, we don't keep them," I reply. Why not?" they ask. This is why. I just jot down their numbers, shred them when done. Not worth the convenience. 
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anti-fat guy weather, I love the heat, but 100 degrees sucks.
  • Options
    Bigshizza said:
    Anti-fat guy weather, I love the heat, but 100 degrees sucks.

The internet requires that I be offended by your body-shaming yourself.  Or is it outraged?  I can never remember.  How can I become PC if I can't keep these things straight?:p

At 240+, believe me when I say I feel your pain.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza said:
    Anti-fat guy weather, I love the heat, but 100 degrees sucks

Just think about the snow shovel last winter Jim. When I am riding to work at 105○ I think about the coldest day I rode last winter, doesn't make me sweat any less but in my mind I am in a happy place 
    A little dirt never hurt