Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading tonight ...

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
Since we have every other what do you like thread, I figured a what are you reading would be appropriate. Feel free to discuss, recommend, etc.

Right now I'm reading Catcher in the Rye not doing a whole lot for me at the moment but I haven't hit a point yet that quite explains all the rambling. That said that at least its been entertaining so far.

One of my favorite books is Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedas(lead singer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers). The whole book all you can say, he's one Lucky b@stard.

Comments

• Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    dry dry dry...
    CCNA ICND1 CCENT book. I better pass this freakin test.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    dry dry dry...
    CCNA ICND1 CCENT book. I better pass this freakin test.
    Good Luck ...
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I just finished one called "How to Break a Terrorist" which was about the interrogators who found the location of Zarkowi in Iraq. Great book! It's about how these guys used brains and not brawn to get the people to give up the location of the Al Queda mastermind in Iraq.
    Now I'm reading "Hollywood Crows" by Joseph Wambaugh. Good cop story.
  • A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity by Bill O'Reilly. It's pretty good.
    Ha Bill O'reilly! You don't have to agree with him but you have to laugh WITH him. lol
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Dance of Death by Doug Preston and Lincoln Child. It's the 6th book in a series that started with Relic (the only one to be made into a movie). That and I'm kind of working on Sam Sheridan's: A Fighter's Heart - borrowed it from a friend and would like to get through it, but Dance of Death reads much quicker.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Last night I just finished The House of Mondavi, a look at the rise and fall of the Modavi wine dynasty. Awesome book. One of those ones you blaze through in a few days.

And late last night I started a book my wife got me for Christmas, How Football Explains America, by Sal Paolintonio. Good first chapter.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i made a joke about reading Perelman's Pocket Cyclopedia of Cigars from cover to cover.

then i started to think about it. Im on page 85.

im such a nerd
    Luko:
    And late last night I started a book my wife got me for Christmas, How Football Explains America, by Sal Paolintonio. Good first chapter.
    Luko let me know how that book is. I've been interested in it ever since I heard about it.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Just finished The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Now reading Lincoln: The Biography of a Writer by Fred Kaplan. I'm about halfway through it, and so far it's pretty disappointing.
    madurofan:
    Luko:
    Luko let me know how that book is. I've been interested in it ever since I heard about it.
    The first chapter is "How Football Explains Manifest Destiny." That should be good...go west, young man. Of course, in 2008, I can tell you that East Coast teams can go west and win, but West Coast teams can't go east and win.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Reading things.. Hmmm, I most recently read The Silmarion, A book on the "history" of middle earth (lord of the rings movies). It talks about the years, many years before the movies. Basically from the time began and the war of the elves (both times) and the rise of souron. Other than that nothing new lately. I did read some penthouse and cigar magazines... lol Oh and a tech manual on css.
    geek.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Just finished The Complete Idiots Guide to Cigars by Tad Gage. A lot of good info in there. About to start The Enemy Within by Michael Savage.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Reading things.. Hmmm, I most recently read The Silmarion, A book on the "history" of middle earth (lord of the rings movies). It talks about the years, many years before the movies. Basically from the time began and the war of the elves (both times) and the rise of souron. Other than that nothing new lately. I did read some penthouse and cigar magazines... lol Oh and a tech manual on css.
    I read that one forever ago...back when I was a freshman in highschool. I've been a big fan of LoTR even before the movies were made, so naturally the Hobbit and The Silmarillion were required reading for me....I found that one a bit harder to digest, though no less exciting to read.

As for me, I'm in a slump...I am halfway through Brave New World and about halfway through Noam Chomsky's Failed States. I plan to finish off BNW soon, but Chomsky is hard for me to digest as well, so it may be some time before I get around to finishing that one.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    geek.
    did you read the Hustler part? lol, yeah so better a geek than a non geek! think of all the cool things involved. Hey I also have a kick A** star wars collection too! hehe.. no but seriously anyone who liked the Lord of the Rings will really enjoy that book. well if elves and war interests you.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Anybody read Tony Dungy's book Quiet Strenth - Very good -more about life than football-for me anyway
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    geek.
    did you read the Hustler part? lol, yeah so better a geek than a non geek! think of all the cool things involved. Hey I also have a kick A** star wars collection too! hehe.. no but seriously anyone who liked the Lord of the Rings will really enjoy that book. well if elves and war interests you.
    LOL
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I read Catcher in the Rye this summer, Maddy, on WP's recommendation. Never really reached that point you're talking about. Big disappointment to me. I just read A Clockwork Orange, which was very good. I'm between books right now, so have been spending my time reading Poe and some stories from a SciFi book I got for Christmas.

Jozer - is that Huxley?
    Welcome back Doody, hows the paw?

Yea I finished Catcher last night. It made you think and its more of a discussion book, than it is an entertaining book. Must be why it appeals so much to your wife and mine, maybe they should call each other and discuss. We could smoke a cigar in peace? ha

I think I'm going to go grab The House of Mondavi today as my next read. Luko mentioned it earlier and I looked it up. Now I'm interested.
    The foot's in great shape. I really don't have any notable pain to speak of these days. Other than the scar and it still being (very) oversized, everything is back to normal. We'll see how it holds up this weekend. WP is running a marathon at Disney, and we'll be taking the kids down there for about 5 days. I'll have the crutches and a walking cane on hand in case the extra mileage causes any trouble.

As far as reading, I really like a good "thinking" book, but Catcher in the Rye just didn't seem very deep to me. I suppose I look for a book to make a statement. Stuff like The Time Machine, Fahrenheit 451, or Player Piano. Although I do like a good book that is purely for entertainment as well, but it has to keep my attention the whole way. The Catcher in the Rye just seemed to be a basic picture of an immature jerk and his relationship with his sister. I had another immature jerk to deal with in A Clockwork Orange, but that book was so much better because it said something, other than simply painting a static picture.
    Glad to hear its relatively pain-free, hope you guys enjoy disney.

I meant a discussion book not a thinking book. You know what I mean, a book that is its best when people are discussing it amongst each other not one person thinking and dissecting. I'm trying to think of another book like that. Maybe Huckleberry Finn
    anyone read 'tipping point' or 'blink' by malcolm gladwell? those are 2 thinking books that would be good for discussion also.

Duty, glad to hear you are doing well.
    The Tipping Point is on my list, Andy. I think I'll really enjoy that one.

Maddy, I tend to hold conversations with myself, so maybe that's why the discussion books don't really do anything for me :)
    dutyje:
    Maddy, I tend to hold conversations with myself, so maybe that's why the discussion books don't really do anything for me :)
    The spreadsheets come in handy for the heated arguments with yourself?
    lol...
    welcome back dutyster
    For those of you that liked "House of Mondavi" I would reccommend 'House of Gucci" excellent book.
  • haven't had a lit of time to read lately, I've been working on The Reapers by John Connelly. Fantastic book so far.
    dutyje:
    The foot's in great shape. I really don't have any notable pain to speak of these days. Other than the scar and it still being (very) oversized, everything is back to normal. We'll see how it holds up this weekend. WP is running a marathon at Disney, and we'll be taking the kids down there for about 5 days. I'll have the crutches and a walking cane on hand in case the extra mileage causes any trouble.

As far as reading, I really like a good "thinking" book, but Catcher in the Rye just didn't seem very deep to me. I suppose I look for a book to make a statement. Stuff like The Time Machine, Fahrenheit 451, or Player Piano. Although I do like a good book that is purely for entertainment as well, but it has to keep my attention the whole way. The Catcher in the Rye just seemed to be a basic picture of an immature jerk and his relationship with his sister. I had another immature jerk to deal with in A Clockwork Orange, but that book was so much better because it said something, other than simply painting a static picture.
    Welcome back, duteronomy...Catcher is an awesome book when you're between 14-17 or so...after that, it's just overly sentimental. But there's more to it than just a picture of an immature jerk...read the Times article Urbi linked to.

Maddy, I'm confident you'll like The House of Mondavi.