Home Ratings & Reviews

Whats your favorite gurkha?

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    plaidbanana1:
    The Signature 1887 Red is probably my favorite. Ive liked all of the perfectos ive tried. Can't say ive ever had a bad Gurkha.
    I have yet to try the 1887. Soon, my friend. Soon!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    Yeah, I want to try it but Kuzi pointed out to me that it sounds just like another cigar that is out. I'll let him chime in.

sorry it took so long...
    from a PM with rwheelwrigh:
    kuzi16:
    so here is my thought: Blue steel: Costa Rican maduro Wrapper, Colombian, honduran, nicaraguan filler.
    this sounds very familiar. where else have we seen a Costa Rica Maduro wrapper with honduran (and other) filler?

OH YEAH! 5 Vegas series A. this is right from [competitor's name removed]:
    "Covered in a juicy Costa Rican maduro wrapper...3-country long-filler blend"
    one of those countries being honduras.

ill smoke one if i have one, but i think ill just save my money.

if it was the perfecto it might be another story, ive wanted 5 vegas to have a perfecto in the series A for years.
    yeah... so the blue steel is gunna be similar to the series A and the partagas black.
    kuzi16:
    rwheelwright:
    Yeah, I want to try it but Kuzi pointed out to me that it sounds just like another cigar that is out. I'll let him chime in.

sorry it took so long...
    from a PM with rwheelwrigh:
    kuzi16:
    so here is my thought: Blue steel: Costa Rican maduro Wrapper, Colombian, honduran, nicaraguan filler.
    this sounds very familiar. where else have we seen a Costa Rica Maduro wrapper with honduran (and other) filler?

OH YEAH! 5 Vegas series A. this is right from [competitor's name removed]:
    "Covered in a juicy Costa Rican maduro wrapper...3-country long-filler blend"
    one of those countries being honduras.

ill smoke one if i have one, but i think ill just save my money.

if it was the perfecto it might be another story, ive wanted 5 vegas to have a perfecto in the series A for years.
    yeah... so the blue steel is gunna be similar to the series A and the partagas black.
    Sounds very very similar to the Beast and Titan also. Minus the Dominican Filler.

Right from the Gurkha Wesbite. "Titan: Aged Costa Rican Wrapper, Nicaraguan Binder, Honduran, Dominican, Colombian Filler."

Cigar.com description for the Titan is different. "The cigar begins with a combination of 5 year old Nicaraguan, Honduran, and Columbian fillers that are secured in a 5 year Nicaraguan binder. It is then finished with a dark 1996 Vintage Costa Rican wrapper."
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they are similar. I do know that some if not a lot of gurkha's cigars share some of the same characteristics. I know the beauty and status are almost similar except the filler which is dominican instead of Nicaraguan. Though I haven't lit up any status's (might this sunday during poker) I'm sure that they will be similar though I'm sure have a different overall taste.
    though looking at some of the prices, the status comes in bundles of 30 which are almost half of what the beauty is and the beauty comes in a box of 25. I wonder why this is? I also wonder why some of the gurkhas are sold in bundles when in the photos they have a stand with the cigars being propped up.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Maybe the Status is actually a Beauty with a minor flaw. Rather than sell them as 2nds, they repackage them with a different name.
    lol, i hope your not right on that.. but the fillers are different.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Maybe the Status is actually a Beauty with a minor flaw. Rather than sell them as 2nds, they repackage them with a different name.
    I can see the marketing boys drumming that one up.

"what are we gonna do with these flawed Beauties?"
    "Well, we can't sell them as Beauties because they're not...we can't throw them away though, they still have status...."
    (queue the Guinness guys)
    "Brilliant!!"
    I had a status yesterday and this is what I thought; Very mild cigar, milder than the beauty. It burned well and had a woody/earthy taste. It was a good cigar though not one I'd buy a box of. I do think the Beauty is a litter better probably because the Status is such a mild cigar, too mild for my tastes but still a nice cigar.
    Anyone have a park avenue? reviews show creamy mild smoke with no grassy taste...
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I had one on sunday and it was mild in body, but it had a suprising amount of flavor. Some nice nutty notes and very smooth. I was very suprised at how good this smoke was. I got a couple of them in a sampler and I think I might be getting a box of them.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Anyone have a park avenue? reviews show creamy mild smoke with no grassy taste...
    Believe it or not I have had one. I had it over the summer while sitting on the beach one morning. It was Mild, creamy and IIRC had hints of nut. I do remember getting bored with it half way through though, the Churchill was to much and too consistent.

As I've looked back on my Gurkha experiences I've found that I like what Gurkha deems as their more mild smokes more than I like their Med-Full smokes. JMO.
    I've had one but don't remember anything about it. Guess it wasn't that good, at least to me.
    so while going through my inventory I seem to have almost all the gurkhas except the ancient warrior (and HMR). Anyone have one of these? The description sounds good but I'm thinking if it's worth ordering..
    phobicsquirrel:
    so while going through my inventory I seem to have almost all the gurkhas except the ancient warrior (and HMR). Anyone have one of these? The description sounds good but I'm thinking if it's worth ordering..
    I actually have an Ancient Warrior, the old school one with the maroon band and the wide maroon at the foot. Haven't smoked it yet, its like eight inches, kinda intimidating.
    so the band changed? that's the color of the band on the boxes i was looking at
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

phobicsquirrel:

The Ancient Warrior was what I had in the hot tub Saturday night . I was really shot from the work week and the A W was just what the doctor ordered. I was more interested in unwinding and relaxing with a couple of drinks and a good smoke than trying to keep up with flavors but I would definitly buy this again. It was very good, I also have a work associate who smokes the Ancient Warrior and swears its the best cigar he ever had although I think his experience is somewhat new and limited.....for what its worth I like them ...

thanks gene, I'm going to have to order a couple.

phobicsquirrel:

Pheebs do you have or have you heard of the "Gurkha Holy Grail" cigar?

umm, no. WTF another new cigar.. if you have any details on it pm me please. might want to let wheelie know too. man I thought I had gurkha all caught up! doh!!!

phobicsquirrel:
    umm, no. WTF another new cigar.. if you have any details on it pm me please. might want to let wheelie know too. man I thought I had gurkha all caught up! doh!!!

Squirrel Mail

gmill880:

phobicsquirrel:

Squirrel Mail

I did a quick look and couldn't find it from any of the reputable shops I know off.
    Yet another reason to stop **** with Gurkha.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    madurofan:
    As if Rocky's all that much better.

Gurkha has mastered the art of creating specific blends (or, I would be more likely, brands) for specific distribution channels. This allows them great power, flexibility, and control over their pricing and agreements with retailers. They also have great marketing, claiming that the limited release or availability of a cigar is due to the rarity of the tobaccos used (rather than the availability of those tobaccos because they were passed up by other manufacturers). Most of what I say above is theory, but I'm a business analyst, and these are symptoms of a well-run business.
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    As if Rocky's all that much better.

Gurkha has mastered the art of creating specific blends (or, I would be more likely, brands) for specific distribution channels. This allows them great power, flexibility, and control over their pricing and agreements with retailers. They also have great marketing, claiming that the limited release or availability of a cigar is due to the rarity of the tobaccos used (rather than the availability of those tobaccos because they were passed up by other manufacturers). Most of what I say above is theory, but I'm a business analyst, and these are symptoms of a well-run business.
    Rocky is definetly not much better. Maybe it is good business in some senses in others it irritating and I've met more haters than lovers of Gurkha. Although most people fall into the "its ok" status.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    At my local shop, Gurkha's are all the rage. Of course, so are Rolexes, Hummers, $100/month membership fees, and a $10 "house blend." I think the cigar magazines should host an event at that place.

Remember those ads for the Hardee's $6 burger, which was only something like $3? We remarked that we would probably do pretty well opening a burger joint in that shopping center and advertising our own "$6 Burger" -- and selling it for $14.95.

dutyje:
    At my local shop, Gurkha's are all the rage. Of course, so are Rolexes, Hummers, $100/month membership fees, and a $10 "house blend." I think the cigar magazines should host an event at that place.

Remember those ads for the Hardee's $6 burger, which was only something like $3? We remarked that we would probably do pretty well opening a burger joint in that shopping center and advertising our own "$6 Burger" -- and selling it for $14.95.

Duty Gekko ?

madurofan:
    =0
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I have an Acient Warrior in the humi that I'm letting rest for a while before I give it a shot. I've had a few Gurkha smokes and I haven't had a bad one, just not really worth the price tag that so many of them carry.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i am about to make a bold statement.

I think i like Camacho more than Gurkha

dont get me wrong, i like gurkha, but i feel that Camacho is trying to make a few good blends to appeal to people like me, and gurkha is now trying to make everyone happy. its the percentage of blends that i like with camacho is 100% the percentage with gurkha... maybe 60%