Home Non Cigar Related

CCom Fitness Thread

skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thought this would be a good place to start up a fitness "group".  A place to post your thoughts, goals, achievements, and setbacks.  We can all support each other, especially when you are thinking about eating that second desert... LOL  Thought about coming up with a contest, and then decided, the only person we should be trying to beat, is that person we were yesterday.

Anyhow, no need for rules.  No need to post weight unless you want to.  I am finally getting back to health from a shoulder surgery and have started working out again after a long hiatus.  It hurts, but always feels great afterwards.  Post your meal ideas, post your workouts, or post your positive thought for the day, whatever.  Keep track here if you like, encourage others, etc.  Throw up ideas for hitting personal goals - somebody sends a 5er to congratulate, or something similar.  

I'll start.  I'm currently at 235 lbs 6' tall.  Long term goal weight for me and my muscle build is 210.  I intend to get back there in 90 days.  This will have me at an optimum body fat/muscle ratio.  I will be working out 6 days week, combination of strenght training and HIIT.  no more than 35 minutes a day, simialr to P90X3.  I'll weigh in every saturday.  That is long term goal.  Breaking down to short terms, I'll want to drop a lb of fat every week, for the most part, and replace some of that with more lean muscle.  

Who will join me?  Again, your goals can be completely different from mine.  Let's help each other get healthier
How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll join in the fun.  Right now, I have to head out the door, but am publicly stating that if you hit your goal Darrin, I'll be the first to send some sticks.  What an idea hey?  Reward for goals met = cigars.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this, I will need to ruminate. 
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in. I love working out. For the longest time bulking up was my goal and I got some good gains but now a days I don't have the time for the gym or money for enough food like I used to. So now I'm just trying to lean out and stay around my current weight of 150. I do a mixture of lifting heavier weights and just body weight stuff  for my workouts. I like to be functionally strong. I love that Ninja Warrior show and found a gym near by that has training equipment like that. Just need to look into pricing and check it out.

i do quite a bit of reading on exercising and eating and I'm a physical therapist as well so if anyone has questions about things feel free to ask and I'll try to help you out.
  • brodskalesbrodskales Posts: 78
    My only goal is to be dope and do dope ****.
    This Monday, I finally decided to do something about my weight.  In two months I'll be 61, and am finding that it's true how one can gain weight just by getting older.  Up until just a couple years ago, I could eat whatever I wanted and hover around 195.  But now, I've been eating whatever I want and climbed to 212.  I don't do anything specifically exercise-wise, other than some biking and the usual stuff like mowing my lawn and the lawns of 3 widows in the neighborhood... since it hasn't rained hardly at all, that's not happening either.

A couple years ago I watched a great series on PBS by an English journalist named Michael Mosely.  http://thefastdiet.co.uk/  The one segment dealt with why restricted calorie eaters lived longer and were healthier.  They found that you don't have to restrict your intake every day, and that 2 or 3 days works just as well.  I did it for 6mos. and lost 25lbs.  It works well for me (apart from the health benefits of fasting) in that it doesn't seem like you're depriving yourself 24-7; you eat less on 2 or 3 days, but can still eat normally on the other days.  The was the BBC episode; http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihhj_VSKiTs and an appearance on GMA that's shorter; http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw4RtHMmBtk

So I started that on Monday.  My plan is to eat ~700 calories on the fasting days, and once my body gets used to it in a week or two I'll feel fine exercising even on those days... at least that's how it went last time.

My ideal weight is around 170, which is what I was during most of my working days when I had a somewhat physical job.

I'm looking forward to it.  After finding every excuse in the book as to why I don't care if I'm fat and why I didn't want to start, now that I've started it's becoming like a game to see how I can do.
    Good luck @peter4jc. Keep us updated on your progress 
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. This will be cool. About to hit the gym. Friends don't let friends skip leg day!

Interesting Peter.  I am going with the only way I know.  1800 cals a day for 6 days, and then about 10,000 cals on day 7  LOL!!! 

Hardest part is not drinking alcohol.  Liquid cals are brutal.

Bert - almost 5 weeks since my subacromial decompression on my shoulder, im kicking a$$.  Therpaist says I have wolverine Blood.  LOL!

Just drank my pre workout - watchout!!!  Im really freaking aggressive right now!!!!  Hulk Smash!!!

• CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Hey all! Nice I'll chime in

Currently doing body beast program 

Trying to use it to cut a bit of fat and build. About 5lbs muscle. Currently about to be 27 at 5' 11"  178lb and about 14%body fat. Trying build up to about 185lb very lean muscle and 

I eat a 4:1 carb protein diet at about 2300 calories, but I don't count all that often I keep a round about track

I'm coming off a mainly cardio workout routine and transitioning into a heavy weight routine with mild cariod and yoga added on.

Trying to workout 6 days a week at about a hour a day, but life always comes first so sometimes I get a few extra off days, but I keep on chugging.

Keep at it everyone all that matters is you keep doing and your already ahead of most people!

Bert - almost 5 weeks since my subacromial decompression on my shoulder, im kicking a$$.  Therpaist says I have wolverine Blood.  LOL!

Haha, love to hear that! Keep up the good work
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I need to get on this bandwagon.  Problem is, everyone knows the preacher can expense meals and wants me to take them out to eat!

And pizza.  And bacon.  And pizza with bacon on it.

Oh, and ice cream.  I've got a source and he's like my crack dealer.  But it's ice cream.

I try to limit myself and be extra active a few times a week, but man, it's easy to pack 'em on.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    @Martel...  try that intermittent fasting thing.  That way, you can set aside a couple days for health/diet reasons, and still eat what you want while ministering to those who need you.  Win-win.
    edited August 2015
    So far so good. Diet wise I got this thing under control.  Once I get used to only eating 1800-2000 cals a day, then it actually starts to seem like a lot of food. When you incorporate a lot of veggies into that, then it's almost a challenge to eat that much. 

Now, let's just forget the fact that Friday night I drank so much that I blacked out a 3 hour period of the night. Found a whole bunch of texts on my phone I don't remember sending.  Saturday's hangover. Let's just say it was the worst I've had in over 20 years. Let's not do that again.   LOL

about time to make the doughnuts and hit the gym. Happy Monday y'all. 

Lets ta do this today!
    Day 6:  Sore as hell.  LOL  I been lifting some weights, against docs orders.  Shoulder feels fine, but it is definitely weak.  That ticks me off!  Its like starting over, hell, its about as weak as it was when I was a noob human LOL.  

Anyhow, I can feel my body getting healthier in small ways.  I am definiely feeling great after every workout, and buy the end of next week, workingout will become ingrained as norm in my daily routine.

Keeping to 2100 cals daily so far.  I'll weigh in on saturday to see if I have made any progress.  Keep it rolling guys!  Wednedsay= Leg Day

Lifted yesterday, can absolutely tell it has been 4+ weeks. Soreness today. Will get in to da gym tomorrow
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    Way to go!  I made it through the last 6 days of working out. Starting to feel like routine again, which is a great thing. I get tomorrow off. Woo hoo!!
    Good work fellas. I can't lie I've been slacking some this past week. Didn't get a chance to go to the gym so had to do stuff at home. Just pull-ups, push-ups, various crunches and stuff with 20lb dumbbells
    Lifted this afternoon. Right shoulder is still sore. Hoping it gets back to normal soon!

-Jay
    Lifted again today. Hot showers are a God send. Right shoulder is still sore, but feels like it is slowly getting better. 

On the up side, was at Starbucks, and ran into a friend/coworker who lives in my town--just so happens he was heading over to sign up for a membership at my gym. As we both work 2nd we may synch up to lift 2-3x a week. 

Be nice to lift w/ someone. Been years since that, lol

How are your workouts/food routines going?

-Jay
    I was out of town for a few days, and you know what happens when you're on vacation...

So I'm back to square one, but am getting back on the horse starting today.
    That's great Jay. Having a partner makes this only better. You will both motivate each other on those down days. 

I forgot to weigh in over the weekend, as I was on the go from Friday through Sunday and yesterday I flew out to MInneapolis. 

Diet and training going well so far. My right shoulder, having been bad for years, I doscovered I was using it wrong to protect it. Now that Its surgically fixed and in in therapy, it is ridiculously weak. It will take some time for me to bring it up to par with my left as it is still healing. That will be my year end goal. To learn how to use my right arm again. LOL
    Was able to get back into the gym a couple days this week. Working on getting a big tire for flipping/dragging and some 2" rope and set up a "gym" in a coworkers back yard. I already have kettle bells and a box for jumping. Thinking about getting one of those ladders for some more agility stuff as well. Figure I'll split up workouts between heavy lifting at the gym and a more functional movement workout at the friends house.

Keep up the good work everyone!
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Thinking about getting into shape for my daughter and American ninja warrior.already down to 158 from 230-60. Now grip and core work.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
    Just downed a serving of Assault pre workout. That stuff is intense. In about 20 minutes, I'll feel like going outside to throw cars around for fun. Hulk Smash!!!

alas, it is leg day.....  There goes walking for a couple days. And stairs?  Forget about it. LOL
    Thinking about getting into shape for my daughter and American ninja warrior.already down to 158 from 230-60. Now grip and core work.
    That's awesome wahoo!  Tell us how you made that transformation. Very impressive indeed!
    That's awesome! Keep up the good work! I would love to do America ninja warrior to. There's a gym near me that has training for stuff like that, I'm thinking about checking it out.
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Quit cigs and pharmaceuticals.eat health y  fat . lots of hot peppers anyway ya get em. Really ,pooping is key.
    No gyms here so I'm just using whats available. 
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
    Lifted today, one of those good days at the gym that happen every few weeks -- reps felt good, everything felt right (hard to describe). 

I nearly bonked at home afterwards; lifting made me mega mega hungry. Turns out coffee only is not a good pre workout, lol

-Jay
    edited August 2016
    Bumping this one

Been lifting again pretty seriously these past 5 months and trying to watch what I eat. Have dropped 15 lbs and am sleeping better.

If you are wishing you could do something to get in shape, but do not know where to start, shoot me a PM. Happy to be a workout check in buddy

-Jay
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took a few day hiatus from running but getting back on it tomorrow early morning before work again, and back on the diet ugh hate that but I like how I feel when I am working out!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."