Options

Sticks that taste like goats ass

Comments

• Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Rhamlin:
    Thanatos0320:
    Gurkha Crest and the cohiba red dot. I smoked about 1/3 of the gurkha before I threw it out the car window.
    Havent tried the Crest yet but I totally agree about the Red Dot I haven't had one I've liked, and recently I've revisited the AAA a couple of times. Yech. And I used to really dig these.
    I will gladly take all your red dots!
    I'll gladly give you every red dot i get
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanatos0320:
    Gray4lines:
    Rhamlin:
    Thanatos0320:
    Gurkha Crest and the cohiba red dot. I smoked about 1/3 of the gurkha before I threw it out the car window.
    Havent tried the Crest yet but I totally agree about the Red Dot I haven't had one I've liked, and recently I've revisited the AAA a couple of times. Yech. And I used to really dig these.
    I will gladly take all your red dots!
    I'll gladly give you every red dot i get
    Deal! I've had one that was pretty bitter... but otherwise I think they are a pretty good med smoke. I would never pay retail though
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    KFC....
    Damn Dustin, why you soooooo biased and a DE hater?.??? LOLOLOL j/k. Just giving you ****. I haven't tried one yet so I shouldn't judge, I guess I should give it a shot.
    Don't waste your money dude.. Seriously, a ton of smokers agree it is at best a yardgar. It's not a DE thing, it's more that a $2 AJ has more depth, complexity, and a better finish. The KFC is terrible. I'm amazed anyone likes it, and I am sure the DE connection has a lot to do with it. My guess is it will have no staying power unless reblended.

Put it to you this way, if it did not have a DE band, people would be trashing the *** out of it all over the cigar world. It has a hint of Latakia on the retro for the first third, with a stale finish of dirt and wood with no depth or flavor beyond. After that, it progressively gets worse. I have one more and I will let it sit for a few years as an experiment to see how this type of tobacco ages. If it sucks then, I'll toss it. I have a review written for the other, but out of respect will not post it.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    That's because AJ is the best. He does it for the cigars, not to make money....hah.
  • Options
    Rain:
    That's because AJ is the best. He does it for the cigars, not to make money....hah.
    Hey now.... DE did just sign up to produce for Swisher.... Just saying...
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I'm now a Phillies Blunt man.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ill jump on the don't like de wagon!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Ill jump on the don't like de wagon!!
    It's not so much I do not like them, i had a bad experience as some of you know, but in the end, someone in the company went above and beyond. They are a good company, but they are far from boutique, and far from the small batch production. They are a powerhouse in the industry now, as much as anyone. This was just a failed attempt at reproducing the aroma and flavor pipe smokers get from Latakia or burley blends with that signature camp fire flavor and finish.

Make no mistake, DE is the biggest name in the game right now. All the big guns lost shelf space to them. When a company with Swisher's capital approaches a company like DE, I think it is safe to say they are big dogs now. Gotta hand it to them. They can make a subpar product and charge 2-3x what it is worth and the market will not only respond, but drive the grey price up as well. Marketing genius... Gotta respect that.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    KFC....
    Damn Dustin, why you soooooo biased and a DE hater?.??? LOLOLOL j/k. Just giving you ****. I haven't tried one yet so I shouldn't judge, I guess I should give it a shot.
    Don't waste your money dude.. Seriously, a ton of smokers agree it is at best a yardgar. It's not a DE thing, it's more that a $2 AJ has more depth, complexity, and a better finish. The KFC is terrible. I'm amazed anyone likes it, and I am sure the DE connection has a lot to do with it. My guess is it will have no staying power unless reblended.

Put it to you this way, if it did not have a DE band, people would be trashing the *** out of it all over the cigar world. It has a hint of Latakia on the retro for the first third, with a stale finish of dirt and wood with no depth or flavor beyond. After that, it progressively gets worse. I have one more and I will let it sit for a few years as an experiment to see how this type of tobacco ages. If it sucks then, I'll toss it. I have a review written for the other, but out of respect will not post it.
    haha was just tryin to rustle your feathers, dustin.

but thanks for the heads up --- if I get one in a sampler or gifted to me, I'll try it.
    but will avoid paying MSRP for one. you're recommendations and reviews have never lead me wrong before so I trust what you're saying.

catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    Hey now.... DE did just sign up to produce for Swisher.... Just saying...
    They already make this, it's called a Papas Fritas ;-)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    At first I thought it was just me, so I refrained from posting my review. Then a bunch of DE fanboys started saying the same thing, same experience. I'll take a $1 stick any day over it.
  • Options
    Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    Everyone has there own tastes. Likes/ dislikes. Just because someone doesnt like something doesnt meen someone else can enjoy the heck out of it. Its all about what turns your crank. KFC doesnt turn my crank, but if it does for you, I hope you enjoy it.
  • Options
    Of course Chuck, that's the subjectivity of the hobby. However, I will argue quality is not, it is objective. I think everyone can agree at times when a bad stick is just that. Will someone out there possibly like it even though the majority of smokers don't? Sure... But that doesnt change what it is. For example, I can't get through a 1502 black gold, way to strong and heavy for me, but when I went to review it, the finish was excellent and clean, albeit not my style. Had a similar experience with The Draig, and I can recommend those accordingly. Same with many My Father, AJ, etc... KFC just flat out had nothing to offer, and the finish was on par with $1 sticks. If I owned a shop, I would not recommend to anyone.
  • Options
    dandin1dandin1 Posts: 175
    jd50ae:
    How many of you have actually tasted a goats ass..?

Still wondering this myself. Lol
  • Options
    dandin1:
    jd50ae:

I've had something called kokoretsi. It has liver, lungs, kidney, and intestines in it.. That's the closest thing to a goat's ass I've had.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanatos0320:
    dandin1:
    jd50ae:

I've had something called kokoretsi. It has liver, lungs, kidney, and intestines in it.. That's the closest thing to a goat's ass I've had.
    Wow, that sounds......horrible! How did you stumble upon this Frankenstein of food?
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    Thanatos0320:
    dandin1:
    jd50ae:

Wow, that sounds......horrible! How did you stumble upon this Frankenstein of food?
    actually i think goats a$$ tastes better
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    So let me get this straight… in Greece they say "it's chopped up liver, kidneys and lungs stuffed into an intestine" and everybody here gags… in USA we say "here, have a hot dog" and everything is a-okay?? :) (just checking, lol)
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PAtoNH:
    So let me get this straight… in Greece they say "it's chopped up liver, kidneys and lungs stuffed into an intestine" and everybody here gags… in USA we say "here, have a hot dog" and everything is a-okay?? :) (just checking, lol)
    Yep, that pretty much covers it. ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience:
    PAtoNH:
    Yep, that pretty much covers it. ROFL!
    wait till people find out what's really in a slim jim
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    I may have already posted this on this thread but Gurkha Centurion perfectos tasted like what I imagine the sphincter of a goat to taste like. I once dated a girl with a bit of facial hair who was awfully **** so I think I speak from a place of authority on this subject. Hey… it was college… you're supposed to experiment with new stuff.
  • Options
    PAtoNH:
    I may have already posted this on this thread but Gurkha Centurion perfectos tasted like what I imagine the sphincter of a goat to taste like. I once dated a girl with a bit of facial hair who was awfully **** so I think I speak from a place of authority on this subject. Hey… it was college… you're supposed to experiment with new stuff.
    lmao!! Yeah if you actually age that Gurkha it tastes well like tofu tobacco
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    ahhhh… so there's an upside :)
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Don Lino Africa. I had one of these a few years back, thought i was good. Got a 5'er for 6 bucks(first warning sign) fired one up off the truck and it blew up...like violently unraveled. Fired up a second wich unraveled slightly less and tastes like a porta potty smells on the last day of the festival. Seriously, ammonia right from the get go... and poo.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Don Lino Africa. I had one of these a few years back, thought i was good. Got a 5'er for 6 bucks(first warning sign) fired one up off the truck and it blew up...like violently unraveled. Fired up a second wich unraveled slightly less and tastes like a porta potty smells on the last day of the festival. Seriously, ammonia right from the get go... and poo.
    lol I had one with about 3 months on it back in Nov/Dec and I was pleasantly surprised. Can't say I'd go ROTT though for this same reason :p
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Because of the implications, I wasn't going to post any cigars in here, but since it seems revived, I've been thinking about it. I have a contribution. DE Natural Root. Goats eat lots of herby plants, right? I did not like this cigar at all. It left a gritty, dirty, sandy feel on my hands and lips. It tasted awful, just awful. The environmental smoke did smell pretty good, though.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Of course Chuck, that's the subjectivity of the hobby. However, I will argue quality is not, it is objective. I think everyone can agree at times when a bad stick is just that. Will someone out there possibly like it even though the majority of smokers don't? Sure... But that doesnt change what it is. For example, I can't get through a 1502 black gold, way to strong and heavy for me, but when I went to review it, the finish was excellent and clean, albeit not my style. Had a similar experience with The Draig, and I can recommend those accordingly. Same with many My Father, AJ, etc... KFC just flat out had nothing to offer, and the finish was on par with $1 sticks. If I owned a shop, I would not recommend to anyone.
    I had my first 1502 Black Gold last night. I absolutley loved it. For me it is a box purchase cigar, but I love the stronger profile sticks.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Jetmech_63:
    I really like these sticks for walking the dogs in the field. Only had one or two out of 40 or so that have had construction issues. The regular Don Lino or the San Andreas... those are terrible fresh.
  • Options
    Martel:
    Because of the implications, I wasn't going to post any cigars in here, but since it seems revived, I've been thinking about it. I have a contribution. DE Natural Root. Goats eat lots of herby plants, right? I did not like this cigar at all. It left a gritty, dirty, sandy feel on my hands and lips. It tasted awful, just awful. The environmental smoke did smell pretty good, though.
    hahahaaaa one of the guys at the lounge was gifted one of these...he took it out of the cello and smelled it then proceeded too throw it away
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Stumbled upon this necro. Always was good for a laugh.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.