Home General Discussion

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Mike. 
  • OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Mike. How did your blend come out?
    Thank you. I will try to post a picture of the finished product later this week. It was a lot of fun and we plan to do the same this year. If so I will order enough for you to judge for yourself. 
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, the forum made its own blend in 2012, before my time, that a BOTL was kind enough to let me try and it was pretty good, and I've got to try some personal blends at my lounge as well. It's interesting to see what a group of people come up with.
    Cool, the forum made its own blend in 2012, before my time, that a BOTL was kind enough to let me try and it was pretty good, and I've got to try some personal blends at my lounge as well. It's interesting to see what a group of people come up with.
    Just heard that we have another order coming. If you PM me your info, I will send you an example

• NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys and gals,

I'm Mikie. Just joined the forums today. I quit smoking cigarettes last month after 20 years and switched to cigars. I am really enjoying cigars... so much that I ordered several samplers from multiple sites. To date I've tried about 15 different cigars and only found 1 I didn't like which was a R&J. 

I have read through a lot of threads before deciding to join this forum to make sure I would actually be able to be a part of the community. There are enough fun loving crazy people here for me to want to be included. I look forward to sharing some thoughts and experiences with several of ya'll.

A little about me...
    I'm 43. I live in a suburb of New Orleans. I work in a big box electronics store as the supervisor of the guys that fix computers. I've been smoking cigars since July 2015. Can't believe it took me this long to discover these beauty's. I prefer to smoke my sticks in the evening after work with a glass of bourbon. If you want to know anything shoot me a message. I will try to stay active and will defiantly be reading everyone's reviews till I develope my favorites.

My current favorites seem to be of the Connecticut variety. That being said and after reading tons of reviews I ordered my first non sampler order. My box of Perdomo  reserve 10th aniversery champagne should be here in 3 days and maybe I will have my own review up by next weekend. Anyway this is my intro and hopefully I will get to know some of you guys.

All the best,
    Mikie
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums Mike. There is a bunch of great guys here that have a lot of knowledge and a never ending surplus of cigars that blow up multiple single family dwellings when they land. Hang around and have some fun. I know of one other person on the forums from your neck of the woods. @kemper74
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Welcome to the forums Mikie. There are a ton of great reviews and sticks out there. Samplers are a good way to go when you start out, but don't be afraid to try some five packs of specific brands after you figure out you flavor profile a bit.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome again, Mikie.  Your choice of the Perdomos was a good one, IMO. I think you'll enjoy 'em. I'm kinda inclined toward the mild/medium end of the spectrum, myself. 

There are also some sticks out there that are rated as full-bodied but which are so well - balanced and smooth they'd pass for a medium all day long. A couple of my faves are DPG Blue, My Father Le Bijou 1922 and Undercrown. Most sticks with a Cameroon wrapper are also quite good and in the Connie's, one of my faves is the San Cristobal Elegancia. 
    jlmarta said:
    Welcome again, Mikie.  Your choice of the Perdomos was a good one, IMO. I think you'll enjoy 'em. I'm kinda inclined toward the mild/medium end of the spectrum, myself. 

There are also some sticks out there that are rated as full-bodied but which are so well - balanced and smooth they'd pass for a medium all day long. A couple of my faves are DPG Blue, My Father Le Bijou 1922 and Undercrown. Most sticks with a Cameroon wrapper are also quite good and in the Connie's, one of my faves is the San Cristobal Elegancia. 
    Thanks for the tips. Along with my box I ordered 3 5 packs from reviews that peaked my interest. Come Wednesday I will have my humidor filled.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Howdy!  Just thought I'd check in as I am completely new to the cigar game.  I have been browsing this forum for a while now, but haven't posted.  I hope to get to know everyone on this site as it seems like you are all a great and easy going bunch. Cheers!
    Welcome to the forum. Great bunch of guys and gals in here. A couple from around your area
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

Welcome mayhem. 
    Welcome to the forum.
  • kemper74kemper74 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Welcome to the forum Mikie!  I haven't checked out the rest of the post or your profile, but I saw that Usaf mentioned that we're from the "same neck of the woods".  I'm in DeRidder, about 2 hours south of Shreveport.  Been to New Orleans with the wife and we loved it.....the French Corner is beautiful.  Once I hit 60, we plan to buy a place there and retire.....won't have to worry about parking during Mardi Gras.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howdy!  Just thought I'd check in as I am completely new to the cigar game.  I have been browsing this forum for a while now, but haven't posted.  I hope to get to know everyone on this site as it seems like you are all a great and easy going bunch. Cheers!
    Welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around and enjoy yourself. 

Whats your our first name, Mayhem?  Or should we just call you May for short?  Then we'd have a May and a Jiunn....  B)
    kemper74 said:
    Welcome to the forum Mikie!  I haven't checked out the rest of the post or your profile, but I saw that Usaf mentioned that we're from the "same neck of the woods".  I'm in DeRidder, about 2 hours south of Shreveport.  Been to New Orleans with the wife and we loved it.....the French Corner is beautiful.  Once I hit 60, we plan to buy a place there and retire.....won't have to worry about parking during Mardi Gras.
    Maybe I should send Mardi Gras beads with trades and bombs..... hmmmmmm
  • Aland1984Aland1984 Posts: 13
    Hey everyone I'm Alan. I was on here some as Aland84 about a year and a half ago, Aalt sponsored me, but I got busy. Life happens you know. And as life happens I forget emails and passwords. Anyways I'm back. And it's nice. I may not be able to frequent as much as I like, but I'm glad to be back in the community. 
    Aland1984 said:
    Hey everyone I'm Alan. I was on here some as Aland84 about a year and a half ago, Aalt sponsored me, but I got busy. Life happens you know. And as life happens I forget emails and passwords. Anyways I'm back. And it's nice. I may not be able to frequent as much as I like, but I'm glad to be back in the community. 
    Welcome back... the more the merrier
    Welcome back Alan. I'm also an Alan. Our numbers are growing...
    Welcome back to the fray.
  • WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

Hello Gents,

Newbie to the forum but I have been into Cigars for many years. Some of my favorites are Padron 26 & 64's, Opus, Ortega, Pepin, Oliva and almost everything AJ Fernandez. Everyday sticks include MOW Puro Authentico, The Reckoning and Fallen Angel.

I originally posted this in the trading thread, moving it here now - newb!!

Anyway, hello to all!

Love the 64 myself. Lots of great people here with a very generous heart so hang around and have fun.
    -- Winston Churchill

Hello Gents,

Newbie to the forum but I have been into Cigars for many years. Some of my favorites are Padron 26 & 64's, Opus, Ortega, Pepin, Oliva and almost everything AJ Fernandez. Everyday sticks include MOW Puro Authentico, The Reckoning and Fallen Angel.

I originally posted this in the trading thread, moving it here now - newb!!

Anyway, hello to all!

Welcome! The more the merrier...lots of cool people here
    Welcome to the forum. 
    Welcome 
  • BroncoKingsBroncoKings Posts: 34
    Hey everyone,  my name is Sean I'm from So. Cal. I did a job for a gentleman that owns a cigar lounge 6 months ago, been hooked ever since. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome :)
    Welcome, there is a bunch on here from NoCal.
    -- Winston Churchill

• transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Hello folks.

40-year cigarette smoker...quit in 2012.  Purposely held off on cigars until 2014 when I started having an occasional stick on the golf course.  My first box was 40 Fuente Curly Heads.

Cigar smoking went from an occasional diversion to a growing hobby when I the discovered Cigar.com and Cigars International sites.  I had no idea there were so many cigars and so much to the cigar-smoking pastime.  I even got a book from the library on cigars (Celebrating Cigars...informative and a fun read).

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself.  I look forward to future discussions.
    Kipling was a wise man.
    Welcome to the forums transplant... great bunch a people here.
    -- Winston Churchill