Home General Discussion

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Ciao a tutti... Italian TOSCANO smoker.... randomly in NY.
    Good forum full of interesting topics...
    Bear with my English... I can assure you my Italian is better B)
    Welcome :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toscano_(cigar)
    Learned something new. 
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howdy @Kenyanbees welcome to the forums. 
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Noah0504Noah0504 Posts: 5
    Hello, my name is Noah and I'm pretty sure I already have a problem!

I've always enjoyed the occasional cigar, but never really considered keeping them at home.  I've always just grabbed a couple for an event, or have enjoyed them when given one by a friend.

I purchased a starter sampler here on Cigar.com a couple of weeks ago.  It didn't take but a few days after my humidor was seasoned that my latest order arrived.  It's now packed full and I'm already planning for the future (thank goodness Christmas is just around the corner -- you can imagine what most of my list consists of!).

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself.  Hopefully, I'll become a regular around here.  Until then, I have some smoking to do!
    Welcome Noah0504 there's a great bunch here that share the luv of cigars.

Is 504 meaningful to you?
    It's the area code here in New Orleans.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums! This is the greatest place on the web when it comes to cigars and the greatest bunch of botls and sotls. If you are just starting in this hobby there is a bunch of info you can search for in these threads. Keep,tryin the samplers till you figure out your likes. The Gurkhas pictured there should be the last ones you smoke.  ;). A few recommendations for you are La Palina, Warped, Tatuaje, Viaje, My Father, Arturo Fuente, Crowned Heads to name a few. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Usaf06 said:
    Welcome to the forums! This is the greatest place on the web when it comes to cigars and the greatest bunch of botls and sotls. If you are just starting in this hobby there is a bunch of info you can search for in these threads. Keep,tryin the samplers till you figure out your likes. The Gurkhas pictured there should be the last ones you smoke.  ;). A few recommendations for you are La Palina, Warped, Tatuaje, Viaje, My Father, Arturo Fuente, Crowned Heads to name a few. 
    What he said
  • Packgirl04Packgirl04 Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. My name is Liz and I guess I am what you would call me is SOTL.  I live in upstate NY.  I started smoking cigars back in the 90's when  everyone seemed to be doing it.  I just recently picked the hobby back up, when I bought one on my 50th birthday.  I have a small humi, but I am interested in a larger one.  There are so many choices and different ways to humidify, it's mind boggling!  Anyway, I am so happy I found your forum: -)
  • Noah0504Noah0504 Posts: 5
    Thanks for the kind words!

Nolagizmo said:
    Welcome Noah0504 there's a great bunch here that share the luv of cigars.

Is 504 meaningful to you?
    It's the area code here in New Orleans.
    It's actually my birthday.  I'm over here in Oklahoma!

Usaf06 said:
    I've been reading non-stop since I made my first purchase.  There's so much information out there, it's been a little overwhelming, but really helpful.

I'll remember that about the Gurkah.  I've made it half way through the sampler and have pretty much enjoyed everything so far.  I've also picked up a few different sticks from my B&M and they've been great as well (really digging Rocky Patel).  My last purchase was a box of Alec Bradley White Gold (these are to try for my everyday smokes -- don't want to burn too much cash!), a Smoking Monk sampler (I love craft beer, can't wait to try these), a 5 pack of Rocky Patel Vintage '92, a 5 pack of RyJ Reserva Real and a Nub Sampler.  I tried to get a variety to just keep trying different things.  Either way, I'm sure it will get out of hand rather quickly!
    Hey packgirl04 welcome back to the hobby
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Welcome Packgirl04 and Noah0504
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Packgirl04 and Noah0504. They guys have tons of info for newbies like us.
  • UseAsDirectedUseAsDirected Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Ciao a tutti... Italian TOSCANO smoker.... randomly in NY.
    Good forum full of interesting topics...
    Bear with my English... I can assure you my Italian is better B)
    Welcome ☺
    "Even a fool has a talent"
    -That one guy
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Noah and Liz. 
    peter4jc said:
    Welcome to the recent additions - it's great to see some new blood, and it's great to read your introductions!

While I agree with the advice on the samplers, I would add this; don't go nuts on buying samplers because you'll find out what you like and end up with too many sticks from the samplers that you don't like...  I have a bunch of sticks from my beginning days that I won't smoke, and have to find people that just don't care what they smoke to give the cigars to.

The other bit of advice that is finally starting to sink in is this; don't think you have to jump on every deal that comes along - there will always be another deal next week or next month.  If you jump on every "impossibly good" deal, you'll end up like me - more sticks than you can ever smoke, and then when the deal that you really want comes along, you can't jump on it.

Have fun on the forum - these people are no doubt the best anywhere!
    Peter, that sounds like a call for some bombing runs!

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    Bumpimage
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• BadTxWolf65BadTxWolf65 Posts: 6
    Good evening y'all, my name is Kip. I just wanted to say hello. I am a novice aficionado and enjoying partaking in my new vice. Smokie pointed me to the forums here and turned me loose. I look forward to talking with y'all. Just digging throw the different topics right now.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome all!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome errrrbody!
  • OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome
    @BadTxWolf65 welcome to the forums there's a great bunch of botl  on this furum. Join in the fun
  • BadTxWolf65BadTxWolf65 Posts: 6
    Thanks for the warm welcome. This stick's for y'all
    -- Winston Churchill

Welcome BadTxWolf
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Good evening y'all, my name is Kip. I just wanted to say hello. I am a novice aficionado and enjoying partaking in my new vice. Smokie pointed me to the forums here and turned me loose. I look forward to talking with y'all. Just digging throw the different topics right now.
    Stand up guy fellas, I won't accept responsibility for CAS exposure, and welcome all new folks!!
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to all the new peeps!
  • UseAsDirectedUseAsDirected Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Welcome everyone! Happy holidays
    "Even a fool has a talent"
    -That one guy
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome y'all! 

I hope Santa fills up all your stockings with top-notch cigars this year! 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone, finally got around to this thread.

Name is Phillip, 20, live in Northeast PA  been smoking for 2 years. I smoke anything except flavor infused stuff. I either get my sticks from my local B&M in scranton or off C.com. I smoke about 5-7 sticks a week usually above the 50 ring guage. I find smaller sticks get too hot for me. (I do draw about once a minute but I am a big guy so I might draw too much lol).  But some favorites include: Manowars, La Aroma de Cuba, Obsidians, Padrons, Various Gurkhas (I know I know), Perdomos, Montecristo (just the white series from time to time), Olivas, American Legions, 

(Also how do you change my forum name. Its Cigarfanatic but I want something else, but this blasted thing won't let me).
    How do make this text turn upside down?
    edited December 2015
    Hello everyone, finally got around to this thread.

Name is Phillip, 20, live in Northeast PA  been smoking for 2 years. I smoke anything except flavor infused stuff. I either get my sticks from my local B&M in scranton or off C.com. I smoke about 5-7 sticks a week usually above the 50 ring guage. I find smaller sticks get too hot for me. (I do draw about once a minute but I am a big guy so I might draw too much lol).  But some favorites include: Manowars, La Aroma de Cuba, Obsidians, Padrons, Various Gurkhas (I know I know), Perdomos, Montecristo (just the white series from time to time), Olivas, American Legions, 

(Also how do you change my forum name. Its Cigarfanatic but I want something else, but this blasted thing won't let me).
    Hi @CigarFanatic and welcome

I am gonna tag @krebsie for getting your name changed

-Jay