Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    They started selling goose island in my local store. Apparently they moved from Chicago to Fort Collins recently. That does not hurt my feelings, but it seemed like it tasted a little different. I've only tried the 312 so far and will have to investigate further.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Nice score on KBS. Most places around here were 1 per person and each store got between 8 and 12 bottles. I ended up with 3 bottles because of connections, two of which went to friends. I've given up on the chase for ultra rare stuff like this lately. I've got enough in the cellar to keep my pleasantly inebriated for a long time.

And as for Goose Island being different, with micro-brews, some lot-to-lot variability is expected. Also, their regular production beers, such as 312 and Honkers are no longer being produced at GI. When the Inbev/AB buyout happened, they moved all of the regular production beers off site to allow the GI brewers more time and resources to focus on the specialties like Bourbon County and their other big beer series. On that note, I'm still sticking by my opinion that BC blows KBS out of the water. KBS is good but not worth the hype or the price. A buddy of mine just paid $10 for a 12oz bottle. Total gouging.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    Nice score on KBS. Most places around here were 1 per person and each store got between 8 and 12 bottles. I ended up with 3 bottles because of connections, two of which went to friends. I've given up on the chase for ultra rare stuff like this lately. I've got enough in the cellar to keep my pleasantly inebriated for a long time.

And as for Goose Island being different, with micro-brews, some lot-to-lot variability is expected. Also, their regular production beers, such as 312 and Honkers are no longer being produced at GI. When the Inbev/AB buyout happened, they moved all of the regular production beers off site to allow the GI brewers more time and resources to focus on the specialties like Bourbon County and their other big beer series. On that note, I'm still sticking by my opinion that BC blows KBS out of the water. KBS is good but not worth the hype or the price. A buddy of mine just paid $10 for a 12oz bottle. Total gouging.
    Honestly, I bought the case to be able to hook up a few of my local friends and then a couple guys on here as well. I got lucky since the place I shop told me when they would arrive and they weren't restricting sales. I wouldn't/didn't bother trying to get on a waitlist to be able to buy one bottle at an inflated price at a couple other places near me.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    You'll never guess what I'm drinking tonight... IMAG0138
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Drinking a Bootleggers Knuckle Sandwich, went to a liquor store and I couldn't believe I saw it on the shelf, went to buy it and it turned out to be the owners and an employe put it on the shelf on accident and he wasn't to pleased when he realized what happened, oh well
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    You'll never guess what I'm drinking tonight... IMAG0138
    Nice score Tony, I still have a couple small time beer stores to check.
  • Options
    No hate here, Sleeve. Even better if you're hooking up friends who might not have gotten it otherwise. I end up doing the same with a lot of beers since I do have some decent connections in the area. I also buy a lot of stuff to host tastings and share amongst friends. People who have come to my beer tastings have had the opportunity to try lots of amazing beers that they otherwise wouldn't have gotten to try. It's a fun community like that.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    No hate here, Sleeve. Even better if you're hooking up friends who might not have gotten it otherwise. I end up doing the same with a lot of beers since I do have some decent connections in the area. I also buy a lot of stuff to host tastings and share amongst friends. People who have come to my beer tastings have had the opportunity to try lots of amazing beers that they otherwise wouldn't have gotten to try. It's a fun community like that.
    I really need to pick your brain one of these days on some beers and whiskeys to check out. I'm not a big drinker, by any means, but I do enjoy quality stuff when I do drink. I really appreciate the reviews you post!
  • Options
    Thanks, man. Any time, any questions. I'm all about quality. If I'm gonna spend my money on it and drink it, I'm gonna make sure I really enjoy it.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Had Brooklyn Black Ops the other night, a gnarly bourbon barrel Russian imperial stout. Probably a major contributor to the hangover I had yesterday morning, but an epic stout none the less.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45/40149
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    SleevePlz:
    Yup. IMAG0137 I got the heads up when the delivery was coming and the owner refused to create a waiting list. So it was first come first serve with no limit. I decided to not be a total jerk and buy all 3 cases, just 1. Lol.
    ah that's just mean, I WANT!!! lol. I would be so down to trade something for a bottle or two. lmk.
    Talk about hoarding!
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    phobicsquirrel:
    SleevePlz:
    Yup. IMAG0137 I got the heads up when the delivery was coming and the owner refused to create a waiting list. So it was first come first serve with no limit. I decided to not be a total jerk and buy all 3 cases, just 1. Lol.
    ah that's just mean, I WANT!!! lol. I would be so down to trade something for a bottle or two. lmk.
    Talk about hoarding!
    Lol, half of them are now empty bottles in two days. No hoarding, just lots of drinking. I saved the trouble of having all my drinking buddies line up at the same place to get theirs!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i got a few of those as well. the store i went to sold out in 4 minutes flat. limit 2 bottles a person. my wife and i each got our two. our friend we brew with got his two. now we have a six pack to share.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    man I've had some great beers as of late, really need to stop drinking so much so I can remember all the names, however I am planning on scoring a bottle of Dogfishhead's 120 minute IPA when I hit my favorite beer market in the next few days, I had an odd one I forget the brewery name but it was a Chocolate Milk Stout oh Lugene's was the name, damn sneaky strong stuff too, also Leugeinkles (or some really hard to pronounce name, even when sober) has a super fantastic seasonal out right now with I think a 10.5% abv that has a nice fruity finish and pours slightly amber-brown.

Other recent beers I enjoyued
    Left Hand Brewery's Fade to Black
    Sierra Nevada's Narwahl
    Widmer Brothers Milk Stout
    Left Hand Brewery (see a trend yet?) Black Jack Porter
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Hayblet:
    man I've had some great beers as of late, really need to stop drinking so much so I can remember all the names, however I am planning on scoring a bottle of Dogfishhead's 120 minute IPA when I hit my favorite beer market in the next few days, I had an odd one I forget the brewery name but it was a Chocolate Milk Stout oh Lugene's was the name, damn sneaky strong stuff too, also Leugeinkles (or some really hard to pronounce name, even when sober) has a super fantastic seasonal out right now with I think a 10.5% abv that has a nice fruity finish and pours slightly amber-brown.

Other recent beers I enjoyued
    Left Hand Brewery's Fade to Black
    Sierra Nevada's Narwahl
    Widmer Brothers Milk Stout
    Left Hand Brewery (see a trend yet?) Black Jack Porter
    I think the brewery you are thinking about for the Milk Stout is Odell's. They make some amazing IPAs.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    Picked up a 4 pack of KBS yesterday! My bottle shop got one case in and were limiting one per customer, but I got mine. Something to look forward to Friday night once the child is asleep. I just hope I don't drink them all in one week.
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    Picked up a 4 pack of KBS yesterday! My bottle shop got one case in and were limiting one per customer, but I got mine. Something to look forward to Friday night once the child is asleep. I just hope I don't drink them all in one week.
    Lol, good luck with that! My wife tried it and absolutely loved it. So my stash effectively just got cut in half :(
  • Options
    Booyeah!

• Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    Booyeah!

I Want !!!! beeeeeerrrrrrr
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    I was just wondering what's everyone favorite cigar to pair with a good Stout, same question goes with a good IPA
  • Options
    big chunks:
    I was just wondering what's everyone favorite cigar to pair with a good Stout, same question goes with a good IPA
    Diesel Unholy Cocktail goes good with a Russian Imperial. IPA with a cigar is tough. Can't think of a specific, but I would say something peppery that would stand up to the hop bitterness of the IPA.
  • Options
    I completely agree with Y2. Stouts are great with richer cigars, especially Bourbon barrel aged stouts. Some Barleywines (typically if they're aged as they can be a bit hoppy when fresh), and most Belgian Quads and Strong, Dark Ales or Stock Ales/Old Ales usually do well. IPAs are really tough to pair with a cigar because of the bitterness from the hops. They're the Red Wine of the beer world. They just don't seem to go with a cigar as they always tend to drown out the cigar rather than contrast or complement it.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    I drink IPA's with a cigar all the time. I know it's wrong palate wise, but if it's a nice strong spicy cigar, the bitter and pepper go punch for punch. Good combo is a Founders Pale Ale and Nica Libre Potencia.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a 22 oz Chatoe Rogue Single Malt Blonde Ale at dinner tonight .... went perfect with my salmon entree, need to find more of this ASAP.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Just tried The Shed Brewery's IPA. Yeah, it's 1 in the afternoon, don't judge, it's saturday. Pretty good!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    I'm having a Founder's Breakfast Stout with my cigar right now. I love this beer. If I could, I would make a baby with it. Drinking it almost seems like an act of cruelty to the beer itself.
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Crushed a couple of these today. Very good.

Picked up a couple of each of these to try the other day.

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are near Louisville KY you need to get your a$$ to the Holy Grale today....
    Awesome draft selection for Founders Vertical Night ...

Hopefully they come to Ohio ---- would love to do this.

http://foundersbrewing.com/events/founders-vertical-night-at-the-holy-grale/?av-submitted=true

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Had a few dos Equis while @ the dodger game tonight
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Drinking some Bitter Biker from Spiteful Brewing out of Chicago.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky