Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Glock1975:
    pelirrojo:
    Glock1975:
    I am interested in making a few beers myself at home, nothing major, just 2 or 3 different types, maybe 5 to 10 gallons each, and I know some guys on here have made there own beer before, any suggestions or help you can give me would be great. Looking to make something like a pale ale, a stout, and something else. Please pm me and I can either talk to ya there or give u my number. Thanks guys

Make sure everything is sanitized. Oh, and send me a sample when you're done!
    Thanks for the tip Bro, but I think I will need alot more info from the peeps here to get u that beer.
    What kind of help do you need sir? I have been making my own over the past year. Have about 10 different recipes that myself and a friend mess around with. Are you thinking about going full blown all grain or extract? Also if you havent checked out beer smith or beer tools you should (that is if you go all grain). Also if you listen to pod casts there are 2 out there that I listen to all the time. One if by the Beer Smith creator and he always has some awesome details on anything from Hops to the Grain Bill. The other is The Brewing Network. These guys are hilarious and have some good info once and a while.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been sippin' on some Leinenkugel Summer Shandy the past couple weeks ....
    Great refreshing summer beer for those days when it's 85 and the humidity is off the charts.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of Belgian style beers. Hoegaarden is one of my go-to beers, not that I drink it all that often, but on occasion. Relaxing outside, after a hard day's work. That sort of thing.

I also recently tried Rounder, Blue Moon's Belgian. I don't usually like anything from Blue Moon, and this has a touch of something odd I can't place, which is what usually turns me off of the brand, but there's enough good to the brew that I'll drink it. But I'm going through the Hoegaarden my wife bought on the same day twice as fast. I'm only drinking it that slow because I'm trying to savor it and not be left with one last bottle of the Rounder when I really want the other.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Well with my day off I went a little crazy, got a case of Old Rasputin, my go to stout and a case of Stone RuinTen can't wait to try that
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    big chunks:
    Well with my day off I went a little crazy, got a case of Old Rasputin, my go to stout and a case of Stone RuinTen can't wait to try that
    had some of that barrel aged on tap a few weeks ago, very good. too bad I couldn't buy bottles of it.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    Glock1975:
    pelirrojo:
    Glock1975:
    I am interested in making a few beers myself at home, nothing major, just 2 or 3 different types, maybe 5 to 10 gallons each, and I know some guys on here have made there own beer before, any suggestions or help you can give me would be great. Looking to make something like a pale ale, a stout, and something else. Please pm me and I can either talk to ya there or give u my number. Thanks guys

Thanks for the tip Bro, but I think I will need alot more info from the peeps here to get u that beer.
    What kind of help do you need sir? I have been making my own over the past year. Have about 10 different recipes that myself and a friend mess around with. Are you thinking about going full blown all grain or extract? Also if you havent checked out beer smith or beer tools you should (that is if you go all grain). Also if you listen to pod casts there are 2 out there that I listen to all the time. One if by the Beer Smith creator and he always has some awesome details on anything from Hops to the Grain Bill. The other is The Brewing Network. These guys are hilarious and have some good info once and a while.
    Sorry Bro just now seeing your response, I'm not really sure what types I would like to do, thanks for all the info will defiantly check out the pod casts. Really need to start doing more research.
  • Options
    Glock1975:
    JSaint:
    Glock1975:
    pelirrojo:
    Glock1975:

Sorry Bro just now seeing your response, I'm not really sure what types I would like to do, thanks for all the info will defiantly check out the pod casts. Really need to start doing more research.
    No problemo. Send me a PM if you ever have questions. Illl give as much help as I can.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Yum!!! However I prefer the Sofie. IMAG0212
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Drinking one of the best sours I have ever had in all my years of drinking lol. New Glarus Wild Sour Ale is top freaking notch! Will be buying a case of this atleast.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    JSaint:
    Drinking one of the best sours I have ever had in all my years of drinking lol. New Glarus Wild Sour Ale is top freaking notch! Will be buying a case of this atleast.
    I don't think I've ever tried a sour before, what's a good recommendation I know it's a love it or hate it thing
  • Options
    big chunks:
    JSaint:
    I don't think I've ever tried a sour before, what's a good recommendation I know it's a love it or hate it thing
    A good starting point is something like Pretus Aged Pale Ale or Duchess. They are pretty light. After those stop being sour then you are ready for the big leagues lol. I love New Belgiums La Folie, The Bruery Sour in the Rye, Boulevard Love Child #3, anything Cantillon, Jolly Pumpkin, etc. The style is just like any beer if you dont like it dont hate it. You just need to become familiar with what you are drinking. They are usually wild fermented beers with Pedio, Brett, and Lacto (bacteria) in them and that it was makes them sour. If you can ever get your hands on some good Berliner Weiss styles that might actually be the best jumping point. Refreshing, Tart, and Easy Drinking. I just like the tartness and sourness of the wild beers. I could go on forever lol but looks like you are out in CA. Should check out some Cascade beers. I have yet to try them because they do not distribute out here and they are pretty pricey. Ah ya thats another thing. Most sours are going to have a huge price tag. Do your homework before you grab something that is $20 a bottle and absolutely hate it. I would say goto your local store, take inventory (write some names down of suggested sour beers) and just see what people say on Ratebeer or Beeradvocate. Yes people are bias on those sites but it kind of give some type of building block! Hope this helped.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    had some of that barrel aged on tap a few weeks ago, very good. too bad I couldn't buy bottles of it.
    You looking for the Barrel Aged Rasputin? It's good but not worth the money. Goes for over $20 for a 500mL bottle around here and I honestly wasn't that impressed. Not enough complexity, too much alcohol for the price and considering it's under 12%. Try BCBS and let me know what you think. I think it's MUCH better. I can get you a BA Rasputin (I think I have an extra) if you really want to try it after that.
  • Options
    Thanks Rob. I had some more at the beer fest this last weekend and thought it was okay. Then I had some barleywine aged in sherry barrels, freaking amazing. I made a note of what it was and I need to find it to buy. It was served from the bottle so I know they are around.
  • Options
    BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2743/45175

I had some of this over the weekend and if you are a fan of IPA beers, this "palate wrecker" is definatley worth a shot.
  • Options
    Bamablows:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2743/45175

I had some of this over the weekend and if you are a fan of IPA beers, this "palate wrecker" is definatley worth a shot.
    That stuff is fantastic. One of my favorite IPAs behind Sculpin and Hop Stoopid.
  • Options
    photo 1073307_666783555259_2037720398_o_zps2c6bb4a0.jpgLove me some Sours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Just picked up a new release, Audition by Sierra Nevada. Bourbon barrel aged Ruthless Rye. Can't wait to try it.
  • Options
    james40:
    Just picked up a new release, Audition by Sierra Nevada. Bourbon barrel aged Ruthless Rye. Can't wait to try it.
    Is that just local?
  • Options
    Wow you weren't lying, you did get a case. Sadly that stuff doesn't get shipped out here. I wouldn't mind trying it. Always down for some sour stuff.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Wow you weren't lying, you did get a case. Sadly that stuff doesn't get shipped out here. I wouldn't mind trying it. Always down for some sour stuff.
    If I knew how to trade I would send some your way. It and its predecessor (Berliner-Weisse) is abundant in cheese head country.
  • Options
    JSaint:
    james40:
    Is that just local?
    I picked it up the first day of release at the brewery by sheer luck, and I have not seen it elsewhere, so I believe the answer is yes.
  • Options
    james40:
    JSaint:
    james40:
    Is that just local?
    I picked it up the first day of release at the brewery by sheer luck, and I have not seen it elsewhere, so I believe the answer is yes.
    Damn =(
  • Options
    JSaint:
    phobicsquirrel:
    If I knew how to trade I would send some your way. It and its predecessor (Berliner-Weisse) is abundant in cheese head country.
    no ***! well pm me and we can work something out. Rob and I just finished up a huge one. Well part 1 anyway, lol.
  • Options
    Not sure if any of you have had jw lees harvest sherry, but I picked up 2 bottles of it. Had it at the beer fest last weekend, freaking amazing barley wine. I also picked up the Calvados too, which I haven't tried yet. Freaking spendy buggers for 9oz.
  • Options
    Just finished a bottle of Stone Ruinten IPA. 10.8% and the description says, "A stage dive into a mosh pit if hops!" Pretty damn good beer and I'm feeling invincible.
  • Options
    JSaint:
    james40:
    JSaint:
    james40:
    Is that just local?
    Damn =(
    if you give me your address I will ship it to you.
  • Options
    james40:
    JSaint:
    james40:
    JSaint:
    james40:
    Is that just local?
    Damn =(
    if you give me your address I will ship it to you.
    really? PM on the way.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I've had two New Glarus Sours and they are AMAZING!! I really like their approach of going more for fresh, slightly sweet and balanced. They're not always as funky and tart as I'd like but they're still really good. It's just a deviation from the really sour stuff like Cascade, Cantillon, Russian River and the likes.

If anyone with New Glarus stuff would ever like to set up a trade, let me know. And Squirrel, I have some stuff put aside for you. Looking forward to round 2.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drank these two while V-herfing with Shane, Brian and Vision. I love Sub Pop records from the late'80's to mid '90's...Soundgarden, Tad, Nirvana and Green River..beer was good too! image