Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    I've had two New Glarus Sours and they are AMAZING!! I really like their approach of going more for fresh, slightly sweet and balanced. They're not always as funky and tart as I'd like but they're still really good. It's just a deviation from the really sour stuff like Cascade, Cantillon, Russian River and the likes.

If anyone with New Glarus stuff would ever like to set up a trade, let me know. And Squirrel, I have some stuff put aside for you. Looking forward to round 2.
    I had an all Brettanomyces brew from Russian River at their brewpub. Dang that was interesting. Makes me want to mess around with brewing with it.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    The Russian River sours are really good but REALLY sour. They're messing with some serious bacteria in those. I've done some wild fermented beers (true wild fermentation - cooling the wort on the back deck and pitching unboiled fruit - didn't pitch any yeast) and had success with some and meh results with others. It's unpredictable and that's why not too many people try it. I'm looking to do something with some local fruit to isolate local, wild yeast and bacteria.

Got an orchard cider going now - apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, plums and apricots. Started it on cider yeast and was going to pitch brett and some bugs to let it get kinda funky and tart. Cultured Brett should be ok but if you attempt anything truly wild or involving Lacto or Pedio, be sure to have a separate set of brew equipment. Those bugs can be tough to get rid of.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Drank these two while V-herfing with Shane, Brian and Vision. I love Sub Pop records from the late'80's to mid '90's...Soundgarden, Tad, Nirvana and Green River..beer was good too! image
    Good lookin' brews you got, Jim.
    How was that IPA?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Well this weekend was fun, I tried the new R&R Coconut IPA by stone and I didn't really pick out any coconut notes and to me was a decent IPA I don't think it's anything special but that's just me, the 2 Ruintens I had on the other hand where great DIPA's
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    The Russian River sours are really good but REALLY sour. They're messing with some serious bacteria in those. I've done some wild fermented beers (true wild fermentation - cooling the wort on the back deck and pitching unboiled fruit - didn't pitch any yeast) and had success with some and meh results with others. It's unpredictable and that's why not too many people try it. I'm looking to do something with some local fruit to isolate local, wild yeast and bacteria.

Got an orchard cider going now - apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, plums and apricots. Started it on cider yeast and was going to pitch brett and some bugs to let it get kinda funky and tart. Cultured Brett should be ok but if you attempt anything truly wild or involving Lacto or Pedio, be sure to have a separate set of brew equipment. Those bugs can be tough to get rid of.
    Wow, you probably just saved me a huge hassle! Didn't even think of the equipment getting contaminated...interesting idea using it in a cider though, LMK how it turns out. I'm getting REALLY into ciders 'cause I'm trying to go gluten free.
  • Options
    big chunks:
    Well this weekend was fun, I tried the new R&R Coconut IPA by stone and I didn't really pick out any coconut notes and to me was a decent IPA I don't think it's anything special but that's just me, the 2 Ruintens I had on the other hand where great DIPA's
    While, Ruinten is GREAT, I hate to say it but I think Stone has done IPA to death. I'm pretty tired of them at this point.
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    big chunks:
    While, Ruinten is GREAT, I hate to say it but I think Stone has done IPA to death. I'm pretty tired of them at this point.
    They have but that is because that is what they are best at/known for. Loved the Coffee IPA that they came out with before the w00tstout. And all their barrel aged stuff they released a few months back was awesome! Still holding onto a Lowland Whishkey aged Barleywine from them.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    Ken Light:
    big chunks:
    They have but that is because that is what they are best at/known for. Loved the Coffee IPA that they came out with before the w00tstout. And all their barrel aged stuff they released a few months back was awesome! Still holding onto a Lowland Whishkey aged Barleywine from them.
    We have a place called 10 barrels over here which do all IPA's, which I found to mostly be good. I have tried a lot of stone's stuff and really can't enjoy it all that much. My wife does like their smoked porter though. Not sure if you have had any of Mckeller's stuff, but their coffee stout was amazing. The first coffee stout that I have had that didn't taste like coffee grounds.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I've really been enjoying Goose Island's Vintage Belgians (Sofie, Matilda, Pere Jacques, Pepe Nero). Is anyone familiar with similar delicious Ales? Thanks!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    I've really been enjoying Goose Island's Vintage Belgians (Sofie, Matilda, Pere Jacques, Pepe Nero). Is anyone familiar with similar delicious Ales? Thanks!
    check out ommegang if you haven't yet. Awesome American/Belgian brewery.
  • Options
    JSaint:
    SleevePlz:
    Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't had Ommegang before and it's available locally. Looks like this is my next purchase.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I love Weizen beer!!!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    JSaint:
    Ken Light:
    big chunks:
    We have a place called 10 barrels over here which do all IPA's, which I found to mostly be good. I have tried a lot of stone's stuff and really can't enjoy it all that much. My wife does like their smoked porter though. Not sure if you have had any of Mckeller's stuff, but their coffee stout was amazing. The first coffee stout that I have had that didn't taste like coffee grounds.
    Ever get your hands on their 12oz of Vanilla Smoked Porter and Chipotle Porter Stone put out? Those were good. Ive heard of 10 Barrel and saw some of their stuff available online. Just never purchased for some reason lol.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Drank these two while V-herfing with Shane, Brian and Vision. I love Sub Pop records from the late'80's to mid '90's...Soundgarden, Tad, Nirvana and Green River..beer was good too! image

What?!?!?!?!? Sub pop is in the beer biz now? Do tell.
  • Options
    I love having a good beer/liquor store. Not only did he sell me an entire case of KBS this year, but I picked up a 4 pack of Matilda the other day and mentioned that I love all of the Belgians from Goose Island. He said he has an order coming in a couple days and he would be happy to add some to it. Fast forward to yesterday and sure enough, he brought in a case of Sofie and Pere Jacques. Man, this guy is just awesome. Time to start thinking of what else to ask for! Untitled
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Finally tried West 6th Street IPA last weekend at the herf. Really good microbrew. Glock even stopped to pick some up before he headed home.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    Finally tried West 6th Street IPA last weekend at the herf. Really good microbrew. Glock even stopped to pick some up before he headed home.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I just had a west 6th brown ale and really liked it. I will have to pick some up soon!
  • Options
    JSaint:
    phobicsquirrel:
    JSaint:
    Ken Light:
    big chunks:
    Ever get your hands on their 12oz of Vanilla Smoked Porter and Chipotle Porter Stone put out? Those were good. Ive heard of 10 Barrel and saw some of their stuff available online. Just never purchased for some reason lol.
    Chipotle porter!? No! Dangit, that sounds incredible!
  • Options
    JSaint:
    Found a place with a really nice selection of Ommegang. Had to restrain myself from buying one of each that they had. Haven't tried either yet, but I have a feeling I will be going back for more. Untitled
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    JSaint:
    Found a place with a really nice selection of Ommegang. Had to restrain myself from buying one of each that they had. Haven't tried either yet, but I have a feeling I will be going back for more. Untitled
    If you go back grab more of that Three Philosophers and just let it sit. I have a bottle that will be 4 years old when the new stuff comes out from them. Supposed to be absolutely amazing with some age on it. The Abbey Ale is not bad stuff either. Very nice Dubbel.
  • Options
    Met some friends at Winking Lizard Tavern recently --- I forgot how crazy their beer selection is!!!!

Tried a few different beers (Wells Banana Bread, Founders All Day, etc) and their "draft of the month" was a hefeweizen -- Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier.
    Never had it before but it was stupid cheap and you got to keep the pint glass it came in.
    So a few of us gave it a try ---- and it was real damn good! Light, crisp - a little fruit and spice, super easy to drink and very tasty.
    Ended up drinking those for the rest of the night and I think we walked out with about a dozen pint glasses between 3 of us, LOL.

• Options
    One of my friends hooked me up with some Jackie O's cans yesterday!!!!!

6-er of Mystic Mama IPA

and a 6-er of Chomo-Lungma Honey Nut Brown Ale

Jackie O's is a fantastic micro-brewery in Athens OH, that I haven't had in a few years.
    It was one of my absolute favorite bars in Athens (they had some pretty great food too)
    And they make some of the best beers I've ever had (they're Raspberry wheat is out of this world)

They got a canning line back in the spring and started to distributing throughout OH (supposedly), but they're HTF.....seen it on tap a couple places around here but I haven't found their cans yet.

But my friend was down in Athens this week and grabbed me some!!! HELL YEAH!!!!!!

He also heard a rumor that they'll be canning their Raz wheat next .... if so, I'm hoping he can score some for me .... that'd be phenomenal
    Can't wait to crack these open tonight. Yum!

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Meet my new favorite beer - Ironfist Velvet Glove. They are local to me and I just found out about them. This 750ml bottle is a little pricey at $11.99 at Bevmo but it's a trip of pure ecstasy my friends.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    SleevePlz:
    I love having a good beer/liquor store. Not only did he sell me an entire case of KBS this year, but I picked up a 4 pack of Matilda the other day and mentioned that I love all of the Belgians from Goose Island. He said he has an order coming in a couple days and he would be happy to add some to it. Fast forward to yesterday and sure enough, he brought in a case of Sofie and Pere Jacques. Man, this guy is just awesome. Time to start thinking of what else to ask for! Untitled
    That's beer dude? Wow, from the label it looks like wine. I think I've seen the Sofie before but honestly didn't know it was beer.
  • Options
    james40:
    SleevePlz:
    That's beer dude? Wow, from the label it looks like wine. I think I've seen the Sofie before but honestly didn't know it was beer.
    Lol, YES, very delicious beer! The Sofie is actually aged in wine barrels and has a champagne quality to it. If you can find them with a couple years on them, they become really, really good. That 2011 Matilda was a lot better than a 2013 I had a couple months earlier.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I need some alcohol.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Bought some canned Labatt Blue yesterday. Even though I always drink craft I still love this stuff.
  • Options
    Thinking about cracking open one my last 2012 Bourbon Counties tonight. 2013 should be our pretty soon. pretty excited to stock up again
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, I had a bourbon country the other night after some brisket, holly crap that's good beer. Hopefully my "contact" is able to score some more, one of my favorite beers. I had an amazing beer from cascade the other day, called a dieter pronounced d-ee-ter. ---bbl aged w/175 lbs of Bing cherries in 15-yr Heaven Hill bbls for 13 mos, then in Pinot bbls for 13 more --- Probably one of my top favs in the sour world. There's another one that got tapped yesterday which I need to try as well.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Deleted-wrong thread, sorry.