Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Drinking some woot stout and it's pretty damn good.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Went over to cascade the other day, tried their tawny port sour. Very nice beer however very full and a lot going on. Sort of like the dieter but this was even more so. I loved the tawny in there however I only had one glass instead of 3 like I did with the dieter. Just too much going on. I'd love it if they made bottles of these two.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Went over to cascade the other day, tried their tawny port sour. Very nice beer however very full and a lot going on. Sort of like the dieter but this was even more so. I loved the tawny in there however I only had one glass instead of 3 like I did with the dieter. Just too much going on. I'd love it if they made bottles of these two.
    You sure you like your sours. I have tried a few but not really a fan of the tart taste. I did have one at a beer tasting from **** Goat in Milwaukee WI. It was a sour cherry porter on nitro and was ok. I was going to head down to Three Floyds today but something came up but my brother is still going with some friends. Looks like I will be Drinking zombie dust for labor day. here are a few of my favorite beers. I have been home brewing for about 5 years and drinking/collecting hard to get beers for longer. image
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Has anybody tried the Game of Thrones by Ommegang?
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Which one? The original: Iron Throne was very meh. It was a typical spiced belgian blonde. I was a bit disappointed but expected them to go fairly mainstream with something like this. Especially for the first release. The new one: Take the Black Stout sounds a bit more interesting and up my alley. Hasn't hit distro in MA yet as far as I know but I'm sure I'll have a bottle or two waiting for me with my connections.
  • Options
    Yep, "take the black" sounds good. I just found out about these.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    About to crack open a Censored Jester King I think.....or maybe a Terra Incognita.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    Just cracked a St Arnold Divine Reserve #9. Imperial Pumpkin Stout bottled the day after my birthday back in 09. Traded for this one and I gotta say it's worth trying if you can find it. I'm impressed at how much spice has remained and is very nicely complemented by the chocolate and roasted malts. Excited to try the Pumpkinator that I have stashed away for this year's pumpkin tasting.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    been drinking some Holy city brewery (local brewery in summerville sc) wheat beer, its is fantastic. Also picked up some of my favorite go to Magic hat #9.
  • Options
    Just had some Four Peaks Kilt Lifter. I was surprised at the taste of this beer. Definitely adding this to the rotation.
  • Options
    Cracked open a Struise Pannepot and Lost Abbey Saison Blanc during the Vikes - Bears game.
  • Options
    JSaint:
    Cracked open a Struise Pannepot and Lost Abbey Saison Blanc during the Vikes - Bears game.
    GO BEARS!!! I drank one of my home brews during the game. It was a chocolate peanut butter imperial stout and they are fantastic. Only have 3 bottles left :(
  • Options
    Paintball1084:
    JSaint:
    GO BEARS!!! I drank one of my home brews during the game. It was a chocolate peanut butter imperial stout and they are fantastic. Only have 3 bottles left :(
    Nice. Yea was a good game......kinda. Both teams sucked it up with turnovers and everything. Just came down to time.
  • Options
    Whats a good IPA to start with?
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Southern Tier Unearthly. It's reasonably priced, widely distributed and proves IPAs don't have to be consumed within 15 seconds of being bottled.
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    Whats a good IPA to start with?
    Would agree with Rob. There are just a ridiculous amount of PA and IPA's out there so its kind of hard to choose from. It really just depends on what you want out of the beer taste wise. Lagunitas, Stone, Sierra Nevada, Oskar Blues, etc all have awesome Pales and Imperials. My absolute favorite is coming out soon from SN. It is called Celebration. Freakin amazing stuff when fresh.
  • Options
    JSaint:
    Lagunitas, Stone, Sierra Nevada, Oskar Blues
    Also awesome choices. Haven't had the Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere Harvest series in a while but I remember those being pretty awesome.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    JSaint:
    Lagunitas, Stone, Sierra Nevada, Oskar Blues
    Also awesome choices. Haven't had the Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere Harvest series in a while but I remember those being pretty awesome.
    They are great. I think I liked the Southern more because of the NZ hops.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Now this is a thread i can get behind!! As far as IPA's go, just try one. There are so many with diffrent hop variities and combinations that it truly is a good time to be a hop head. My current favorite style is double IPA where the malt, alcohol ad hops are turned way up. Fireston Double Jack or Stone Ruination are excellent examples....Hell Stone anything is a winner in my book!
  • Options
    IPA's are a Oregon thing I swear! I use to hate them but a little over two years now I have become an avid fan. I love them. In fact I crave them! lol

So this was about a weeks worth....

So really the one's I really think are amazing are the: mikkeler shake - because it's freaking amazing coffee stout with a vanilla flavor that is super thick and super delicious... like a **** in your mouth that is super rich... if that makes sense.

the bread pudding and cheesecake was from hair of the dog and what they were was a doggie claws barleywine bread pudding and a "adam" cheesecake. My wife had the cheesecake and I had the bread pudding which we shared but damn both were super good. we paired both with a glass (seen in the picture) with a 2013 fred bourbon barrel aged which was super freaking amazing. The only thing I can compare it to is a bourbon country but not quite as bourbon strong.. however super complex. I was told they used darker surgars for the one on tap vs the bottle version. However the darker sugars made it sweeter and it was a super rich beer.

The one with the glass with the paper is the cherry vlad and I hope you can read it... It was in a word the most complex sour I've ever had. So when you first take drink your hit with a bitter (from the cherries I assume) and then sour taste. After you swallow you are left with a really deep cherry taste with the vlad (hard to describe unless you had the vlad) sourish taste. Super complex and one of the best if not the best sour beers I've ever had just because it does such a superb transition of flavors. I'm no expert but I do believe that is super hard to achieve. Sadly no bottles are to be had.

As for the elysian hansel and gretal I haven't opened one yet but I hope it's good and the rouge new crusty is very nice. I had it on tap two years ago and just now grabbed a bottle of it locally. I wasn't aware of them bottling it until today. I still like the old crusty more but it is a sweeter barelywine if it could even be called that. It's a different one that's for sure. But hell of a good one. Any way It's been a hell of a week on beers. I also grabbed a souther tier plum beer that was really good however it wasn't good as far as what the beer was advertised. I didn't get much if any plum, and really it's more of a porter than a stout. but hell of a good porter.. lol

I'm hoping to grab two cases of warlock...
  • Options
    HAHA!! You bought TWO CASES of Pumking? You are the man! And I hope those aren't your boobs in the 4th picture. That'd be really weird. I wish I had warned you, the Doc's Pumpkin cider was a total drainpour when I tried it last year. Absolutely awful. Lots of other great stuff though.
  • Options
    Needed some good beer in a can for golf so I finally got some Oskar Blues Deviant Dales. It was ok but I think I will go back to the beers I know are better. Anit hero, resin, and 8-bit. I have one of my founders KBS's in the kegerator waiting to drink but need to wait till I have a special occasion.......
  • Options
    After 5 months and over 40 phone calls, I finally got my first bottle of Pliney. They would only sell one per person so my wife stood behind me and got bottle 2. I hope this is good and not overhyped.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    After 5 months and over 40 phone calls, I finally got my first bottle of Pliney. They would only sell one per person so my wife stood behind me and got bottle 2. I hope this is good and not overhyped.
    That is some serious conviction! Hope it lives up to the hype for you. Myself, I just walked into the grocery store and grabbed a 6 pack of New Belgium Pumpkick.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone try this one before? Picked one up on the recommendation of a shop owner. Sounds delicious. Probably crack it open tonight and decide if I need to buy more before it disappears. Untitled
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got some GLBC Nosferatu earlier this week & scored (the last in stok) 4-pack of dogfish head punkin ale & 2 southern tier pumpkings today.

Still trying to find some bottles of heavy seas great-er pumpkin locally though, only seen it on draft.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Rob1110:
    HAHA!! You bought TWO CASES of Pumking? You are the man! And I hope those aren't your boobs in the 4th picture. That'd be really weird. I wish I had warned you, the Doc's Pumpkin cider was a total drainpour when I tried it last year. Absolutely awful. Lots of other great stuff though.
    lol.. well I have been taking hormone pills! the cider was the wife's, we had it at a tasting and it wasn't bad. I really haven't had a lot of cider I've liked. I love me some pumking and I'll probly get two of warlock as well. I saw some ipa talk above, I use to not like it but I seemed to have grew into it. I'd say hit some places that have a few on tap and ask for a sample of each. if the bar keep is good, they'll be able to tell you which is weaker to stronger.
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    Anyone try this one before? Picked one up on the recommendation of a shop owner. Sounds delicious. Probably crack it open tonight and decide if I need to buy more before it disappears. Untitled
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/454/65809
  • Options
    Stone Enjoy By 10-25-13 IPA. Yummy yummy beer.