Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Sick stash of Parabola. What are the ones with the numbered batches?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Company called 10 barrels. They do mostly IPA's of sorts. These are from a 12 pack (3each) , some pre release or batch release. 10 barrel has some good beers, though none I would write home about. I'm not a huge IPA fan like I am a barrel aged or barleywine but I figured I'd give these a go.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    First up before UFC prelims is Firestone Black Rye IPA
  • Options
    Second up is bootleggers knuckle sandwich
  • Options
    Ok after some Sam smith IRS I'm drinking some st Bernardus abt 12 and it doesn't disappoint
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Rob and I have been working on a trade for several months. Here's what he sent me:

Here is some beers I picked up on wednesday: imageimage

Then on friday the wife and I went out and tried some new beers on tap at a local bar. My wife got past the point of buzzed over one 5oz taster and about a little over a 1/2 of another 5oz taster. It was pretty funny.
    Thats an awesome assortment.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    big chunks:
    Just came back from the store, picked up some Stone Espresso Imperial Russian Stout 2013 can't wait to try it
    I look forward from hearing your thoughts on this one. I had a few stones last night on tap and then I bought this one and finished off the night with it. I have tried many beers from stone and haven't been all that impressed. My wife liked the mint chocolate one though. For an espresso beer though this one wasn't bad however I think Mckellar has most of the coffee beers beat IMO.

Like I said, I look forward to hearing what you thought of it.
    I have one as well. Would like to know how it is too. Their IRS definitely isnt one of my favorites. But I have liked their Odd Year beers quite a lot. Ruination is definitely on the top along with their Smoked Porter vatiations ( Chipotle Pepper and Vanilla Bean)..
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Been keeping a keen eye out for some different stuff, well at least different stuff to me HA!, I have to say my mind was blown after drinking a Brother Thelonious from North Coast Brewery last night. I was very impressed.
  • Options
    JSaint:
    phobicsquirrel:
    big chunks:
    Just came back from the store, picked up some Stone Espresso Imperial Russian Stout 2013 can't wait to try it
    I look forward from hearing your thoughts on this one. I had a few stones last night on tap and then I bought this one and finished off the night with it. I have tried many beers from stone and haven't been all that impressed. My wife liked the mint chocolate one though. For an espresso beer though this one wasn't bad however I think Mckellar has most of the coffee beers beat IMO.

Like I said, I look forward to hearing what you thought of it.
    I have one as well. Would like to know how it is too. Their IRS definitely isnt one of my favorites. But I have liked their Odd Year beers quite a lot. Ruination is definitely on the top along with their Smoked Porter vatiations ( Chipotle Pepper and Vanilla Bean)..
    Well guys my espresso IRS is still in the fridge, I like the stouts better than the smoked porter, but I haven't tried the vanilla bean or chipotle, those sound interesting, I hope to get to that IRS maybe tomorrow night as I might head out of town for work on the 1st
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Doom. I enjoyed it, the mrs. did not. The bourbon flavor on the finish is what really ruined it for her, I believe. IMAG0160
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Doom. I enjoyed it, the mrs. did not. The bourbon flavor on the finish is what really ruined it for her, I believe. IMAG0160
    Smooth Carmel Goodness
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Had a Pranqster Belgian Ale yesterday as it was nice (80 degrees) here in wonderful sunny California. Absolutely beautiful beer.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    okay guinness is one my favourites.thjis weekend while in st augia with the the wife we started drinking blackvelvets (also called blcakapples).guinness mixed with magners hard apple cider all i can say is YUMM
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    Finally had both Doom and Stone Espresso IRS. Doom was one of the best beers I have had all year probably. That might change at the Great Taste in August lol but still it was damn good. Great balance of hops and bourbon. Nice vanilla bourbon flavor on the tongue and I know its weird but I always try to burp when drinking an IPA and on the burp this one was awesome pinyness(?). Now the IRS was I believe sub-par. I barely tasted the Espresso but it wasn't disappointing. Still a damn good beer.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love this beer!! image
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Love this beer!! image
    Love the label ---- haven't had many cream ales before though.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    From my trade with Squirrel. AWESOME spread.

Left to Right: Hair of the Dog Fred, HotD Ruth, Midnight Sun Treat, Cascade Vlad the Imp Aler, Rogue Crustacean, Cascade Blueberry, Elysian Persimmon, Pelican Tsunami Stout, HotD Blue Dot, The last one is a collaboration between HotD and Deschutes called Conflux.
  • Options
    That's cool you got them all in one shot. The last one is collage. And I think it's one of the best ones of the bunch. I have your 2nd box ready but I'm waiting to get one more, I mean hell I have the space in the box. I was hoping to get you a cascade chocolate bourbonic plague (as they are bottling it) but as of yesterday it was pushed back till like july. There was suppose to be a strawberry cream already released, but that got pushed back. So it's a waiting game. I might just send you a manhatten nw to get everything to you. Then when the others hit make another go. The bourbonic is like my favorite sour I've had. Very complex.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    From my trade with Squirrel. AWESOME spread.

Left to Right: Hair of the Dog Fred, HotD Ruth, Midnight Sun Treat, Cascade Vlad the Imp Aler, Rogue Crustacean, Cascade Blueberry, Elysian Persimmon, Pelican Tsunami Stout, HotD Blue Dot, The last one is a collaboration between HotD and Deschutes called Conflux.
    Jealous.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was in Indy last weekend, friend took us to Sun King brewery for a tasting/tour, also went back to Flat 12 brewery where I got a delicious coffee beer from last fall, and went to a winery tour/tasting as well (the women were with us, had to do that for them.)

Friend said Sun King was one of the better breweries with some of the more popular craft beers in Indy so I was pretty stoked to check it out

But, unfortunately, I was very underwhelmed by their offerings....
    Maybe it's because I was (and still am) getting over a cold. But none of the Sun King beers wowed me...
    They were very heavy on the pale ales. And the beers were, overall, too bitter (keep in mind I love me some Pale Ales and 2X IPAS) and lacking flavor IMHO.
    I tried Sun King's:
    Osiris Pale Ale --- blah. Not very flavorful, just bitter. Rated 90 on BA, LOL. Why?
    Scottish ale Wee Mac --- meh. I'll admit that scottish ales aren't my favorite, but IDK. For as "good" as this brewery was supposed to be, I guess I expected more. I had a scottish ale at a local bar recently, don't remember the brewery, but it was better than this one.
    Cream Ale --- probably my second favorite of the group. Smooth, easy to drink. But aside from the price, there's no way this qualifies as a "craft" beer. LMAO
    B!tchin' Camaro --- I think this was supposed to be a Rye IPA. It was OK, only one that tasted how it was advertised, but nothing impressive. I'd take GLBC Rye of the Tiger over this one any day.
    Batch 999 (or 666) --- I don't remember. Also, I couldn't tell you what the beer tasted like. Nothing memorable.
    Cinco de Mayo Ale or something like that --- ale brewed with Habaneros(?). It reminded me of a Yuengling that had some chili powder added to the after taste .... and I don't know how I feel saying this was my favorite of the group.
    :-/

Sun King Brewery was, IMO, more about flashy packaging, bold colors and weird graphics on their labels/cans/kegs, than they were about good, quality "craft" beer.
    IMO Sun King is for people who want to look "cool" by drinking "craft" beer but don't actually like the taste/variety of flavors that craft beer has to offer. It seemed more like miller/bud/coors light only in flashier packaging...

After that abysmal experience, we redeemed the day by stopping at Flat12 Brewery, no coffee beer but they had (among a few pale ales/IPAs) a pretty good wheat ale, dang tasty porter, and an interesting, robust nitro-double porter aged in bourbon barrels ....

I got a growler of their Pogue’s Run Porter to bring home ... but as we were half way home realized I had left it in my buddy's fridge. F^*k

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Some Brews underwhelm me too. But luckily I have so many to go to in portland I haven't even been to them all.

Went to cascade last night. They were tapping a strawberry cream. It was not really all that great. It basically was a sour blond ale that sat for 12 months in a bourbon barrel then after that many pounds of strawberries and bourbon vanilla beans sat in there for another 3 months. So for a blonde ale it was decent but the strawberry was very, very light. I did pick up some vanilla/cream but it wasn't strong. I had their strawberry a while back and it was more strawberry-ie than this.

I guess I was spoiled from the aged apricot that they just ran out of after my wife got a glass. That was intense, like very good and the apricot was very strong.

So other than that there wasn't anything new. I did have more of this plum sour which I had last week. Very nice sour. Not very strong but I guess you could say medium. The plum wasn't knock your pants off but you could taste it.

Was going to hit up the Hub Brew pub but it was getting around 830 and the wife wanted to eat and we had to get back home so I guess it'll have to wait for another day.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Some Brews underwhelm me too. But luckily I have so many to go to in portland I haven't even been to them all.

Went to cascade last night. They were tapping a strawberry cream. It was not really all that great. It basically was a sour blond ale that sat for 12 months in a bourbon barrel then after that many pounds of strawberries and bourbon vanilla beans sat in there for another 3 months. So for a blonde ale it was decent but the strawberry was very, very light. I did pick up some vanilla/cream but it wasn't strong. I had their strawberry a while back and it was more strawberry-ie than this.

I guess I was spoiled from the aged apricot that they just ran out of after my wife got a glass. That was intense, like very good and the apricot was very strong.

So other than that there wasn't anything new. I did have more of this plum sour which I had last week. Very nice sour. Not very strong but I guess you could say medium. The plum wasn't knock your pants off but you could taste it.

Was going to hit up the Hub Brew pub but it was getting around 830 and the wife wanted to eat and we had to get back home so I guess it'll have to wait for another day.
    You should send me some Cascade sours Squirrel lol. Sounds like an amazing place.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind doing a trade or something. You can buy them from their site directly , go to cascade barrel house or just google it. They have bottles you can buy and they will ship unless your state is on the list of no shipping. lmk if it isn't and we can work something out, just pm me. personally the vlad, the blueberry and the manhattan are the best out of what one can currently buy. though if you never had a sour, bluberry is the lightest out of the bunch. the vlad is strong sour and the manhattan, it's not as strong as the vlad but it's still strong.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    I wouldn't mind doing a trade or something. You can buy them from their site directly , go to cascade barrel house or just google it. They have bottles you can buy and they will ship unless your state is on the list of no shipping. lmk if it isn't and we can work something out, just pm me. personally the vlad, the blueberry and the manhattan are the best out of what one can currently buy. though if you never had a sour, bluberry is the lightest out of the bunch. the vlad is strong sour and the manhattan, it's not as strong as the vlad but it's still strong.
    Oh man I love sours. Ive been blessed to be able to get some Cantillon stuff and Boulevards Love Child #2 a year ago and Love Child #3 this year. Also Jolly Pumpkin....when they are on they are awesome. It seems like theyre barrels just go bad after awhile and they still put the beer out.
  • Options
    Wow just checked their prices and DAMN! Are they worth it? lol The shipping must been crazy too.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Made a quick day trip to Chicago yesterday. We had some time to kill in the afternoon, so we visited both Goose Island Brewpubs. With four of us each ordering different flight samplers, I probably tasted just about everything they had on tap. I finished the sampling with a bottle of Pere Jacques and even bought a couple of the glasses in the picture as a souvenir. IMAG0177
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    JSaint:
    Wow just checked their prices and DAMN! Are they worth it? lol The shipping must been crazy too.
    I don't know what the shipping is. Are they worth it? Well I have yet to really have a sour beer that beats some of these. I have had jolly pumpkins, though they were decent not for me. The Vlad and the manhattan nw are really good, though the NW isn't I would say worth 30 bucks but hell it's flavorful. The blueberry is good as well, probably the most blueberry I have tasted in a beer.

I just went back there last night (they tap a new barrel every Tuesday). I had their tangerine dream. Pretty tasty though they should have used not just the peels and they blended it with their apricot. Will I buy a bottle? Well when it gets released it depends on how much it'll be.

They also had a non sour version of the vlad and the chocolate bourbonic. The vlad was tasty, the other was okay but really just a really chocolate stout. I prefer both sour.

I know they are releasing an apricot later which I really recommend espcially if you let it sit a few years. They put out a aged (2 or 1 more year) one a few weeks ago and it was awesome! And the chocolate bourbonic which I will be getting at least 10, though I hope it isn't 30 a bottle. I look at some of these as wines. I mean I have 100 dollar bottles of wine (not many) and really I think these are more bang for my buck. Sure wine is amazing but so are some of these. To me they are both well worth it. Though I can get more of these beers than wine at that price. Though I usually keep my wines below 20. Actually most of my favorite wines are under 15.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am interested in making a few beers myself at home, nothing major, just 2 or 3 different types, maybe 5 to 10 gallons each, and I know some guys on here have made there own beer before, any suggestions or help you can give me would be great. Looking to make something like a pale ale, a stout, and something else. Please pm me and I can either talk to ya there or give u my number. Thanks guys
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Glock1975:
    I am interested in making a few beers myself at home, nothing major, just 2 or 3 different types, maybe 5 to 10 gallons each, and I know some guys on here have made there own beer before, any suggestions or help you can give me would be great. Looking to make something like a pale ale, a stout, and something else. Please pm me and I can either talk to ya there or give u my number. Thanks guys

Make sure everything is sanitized. Oh, and send me a sample when you're done!
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    Glock1975:

Make sure everything is sanitized. Oh, and send me a sample when you're done!
    Thanks for the tip Bro, but I think I will need alot more info from the peeps here to get u that beer.