Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol, happy to be unavailable most of the time.

A Psychologist Describes A New Phobia On The Rise: ‘Nomophobia’

https://www.forbes.com/sites/traversmark/2023/12/24/a-psychologist-describes-a-new-phobia-on-the-rise-nomophobia/

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

@silvermouse said:
    Lol, happy to be unavailable most of the time.

A Psychologist Describes A New Phobia On The Rise: ‘Nomophobia’

https://www.forbes.com/sites/traversmark/2023/12/24/a-psychologist-describes-a-new-phobia-on-the-rise-nomophobia/

I see lots of that with the younger crowd. One kid I knew couldn't function without his phone. His mind literally could not concentrate on the here and now because he couldn't stop thinking about his phone.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    edited January 4

Going to cost us Eight hundred eighty-six thousand million dollars, just in case...per year???

Effing humans, never learn....

War demand

Getty Images
    Many are watching as conflict and war expand across the globe, and what those consequences might mean for various sectors of the economy. Everything from energy and finance to supply chains hangs in the balance, with spillover effects mostly acutely impacting defense production. Countries and companies alike are preparing by restocking their arsenals and inventories, as well as fast-tracking new technologies to give them the upper hand or banning their adversaries from acquiring them.

Bigger picture: The U.S. has already outlawed or effectively lobbied allies against selling cutting-edge semiconductor chips to China out of fear that the silicon could be used for precision-guided kits or other advanced military systems. Traditional arms are also back in fashion, with BAE Systems (OTCPK:BAESY) announcing today that it would restart production of M777 howitzer parts for the U.S. Army. Putting it in perspective, the last order that took place was five years ago, but with output back online, BAE expects to ink new contracts for the artillery cannons given inquiries from more than eight countries.

It's not the only company going into overdrive. Thales is bringing back the Starstreak portable air-defense missile, while other firms like Raytheon (NYSE:RTX) struggle to ramp up production of the popular NASAMS, which helps protect crucial areas like the airspace over the White House. Demand may not be the only factor when deciding how to invest, with SA's screening tool helping identify strong buys within the defense sector. Check out the Top Defensive Stocks For Turbulent Times by Steve Cress, Head of Quantitative Strategies at Seeking Alpha.

Conflict zones: It's not only Russia-Ukraine, China-Taiwan, and an escalating war across the Middle East. Cartel chaos in Mexico has prompted mainstream discussion in the U.S. over whether military personnel should be sent south of the border, while a Venezuela-Guyana conflict could shake things up in Latin America. The U.S. is also preparing military options to secure international shipping in the Red Sea, as well as bases for drones in Africa to counter Russia and stop an Islamist insurgency across the region. Preparing for what might come ahead, President Biden and Congress signed off on a U.S. defense policy bill in December that approved a record $886B in annual military spending. (2 comments)

Post edited by silvermouse on
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ...as the flames climbed high into the night, I saw Satan laughing with delight......

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've thought for a while, part of the planning by our enemies is for us to have nothing left to fight with, when the real crap hits the fan.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    edited January 4

"Starbucks rigs its payment platform so consumers are encouraged to leave unspent money on their cards and apps,” said Chris Carter, campaign manager for the group, in a statement. “A few dollars here and there left on a payment platform may not sound like a lot but it adds up. Over the last five years Starbucks has claimed nearly $900 million in unspent gift card and app money as corporate revenue, boosting corporate profits and inflating executive bonuses.”

Starbucks spokesperson Sam Jefferies told Fortune the company “is committed to working with the State of Washington to ensure it remains in compliance with all state laws and regulations.”

But...which is it, greedy company or lazy consumers?

"That, the group says, prevents customers from ever reaching a zero balance, meaning Starbucks pockets more of the customer’s money. The Coalition does concede that customers can reload their accounts in stores for a custom amount of $5 or more, making it easier to hit a zero balance.

Starbucks disputes this, noting that customers can pay for their purchase with whatever money remains on the app or gift card, then pay the balance in cash at the store."

• Options

Corporate Doublespeak... consumers want to pay more for doritos

PepsiCo has raised prices for seven consecutive quarters by double digits and has even claimed to have shrunk packaging sizes to meet consumer demand for portion control. The maker of Lay's, Doritos, 7 Up, and Lipton tea saw revenue increase by 6.7% in the latest quarter and it is expected to have increased by 10% in 2023.

• Options

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@First_Warrior said:
    A lot of folks sure are beating the war drums loudly. Those who are beating the drums with vigor never have experienced war.

And, since there's no draft, neither will their children. Until it comes home, anyway. I was still in the Army during Desert Storm, I wasn't deployed, but a lot of guys I'd served with were. It really used to piss me off to hear a bunch of frat-boys swaggering around saying stuff like "We ought to..., or we're going to..."

"We"? I'd ask. "What unit are you with?"

"Uh, I'm not in, of course, but I support the war effort. Are you against America or something?" was a typical response.

"Dude, I signed my name on the dotted line. WE, means ME. If you're not signed up, keep your mouth shut."

Which basically got me a reputation for having an attitude.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of the SHEEPLE that have 2A, 3% or, these colors don’t run, don’t tread on me, etc. etc. etc. stickers on their car or truck.

The very same ones that say if the government ever knocked on their door to take their guns away, they would either open fire or have the government pry them out of their cold dead hands. LMFAO.

A lot of lip flapping, if you ask me…lacking soulful, sincere, intent…NOT knowing what it really means to put your life on the line.

Also, the same person that has maybe one or two firearms and thinks 50 rounds is enough or a lot… Again LMFAO.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:
    Reminds me of the SHEEPLE that have 2A, 3% or, these colors don’t run, don’t tread on me, etc. etc. etc. stickers on their car or truck.

The very same ones that say if the government ever knocked on their door to take their guns away, they would either open fire or have the government pry them out of their cold dead hands. LMFAO.

A lot of lip flapping, if you ask me…lacking soulful, sincere, intent…NOT knowing what it really means to put your life on the line.

Also, the same person that has maybe one or two firearms and thinks 50 rounds is enough or a lot… Again LMFAO.

I know what you mean. Folks that talk like that often have false bravado.

It's really easy to say your gonna fight to the death against those who might show up to take your guns. Until you consider they're just dads, moms, husbands, wives, sons, and daughters like everyone else. It won't be the "bad people" that show up, but the folks we see in our own communities.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

But deadly resistance is still necessary, regardlessof who is trying to steal from you. Id hate to shoot anyone, but there is a line that should never be crossed.

• Options

The 20-something young adults we have hired recently have been difficult, seem to lack a strong sense of responsibility and work ethic. Maybe us old farts were just as slack, and distance has dimmed our memory of what it we were like when we were that age.

• Options
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16

They should also reach out to the government that is pushing these batteries so hard and not using them.

• Options

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

“It has been frustrating to say the least,” Arcady Sosinov, founder and CEO of charging manufacturer FreeWire Technologies, said of the slow pace of the rollout.”

Sosinov 🤔 wonder if that’s a Ukrainian name

• Options

There's a lesson here:an amount equivalent to the amount he lost after taking over Twitter.

"Elon Musk, the chief executive of Tesla, stunned investors by demanding that the company’s board give him shares worth more than $80 billion if it wants him to continue developing products based on artificial intelligence."

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/16/business/tesla-elon-musk-stock.html

• Options

Why would he need shares? He owns it.

• Options

He sold a large part to finance X, I think.

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@First_Warrior said:
    A lot of folks sure are beating the war drums loudly. Those who are beating the drums with vigor never have experienced war.

So very true

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@First_Warrior said:

It's also possible they have experienced it, without actually participating, and have enjoyed the wealth it created for them.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

BURLINGTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- A middle school in Alamance County removed mirrors from the bathroom to try and stop kids from leaving class to film TikTok videos.