Home Non Cigar Related

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^What!?!? That is nuts. Absolutely nuts. What benefit do you get as a resident for such a confiscatory tax?

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31

@TRayB said:
    ^^^^^What!?!? That is nuts. Absolutely nuts. What benefit do you get as a resident for such a confiscatory tax?

Lol settle down. We have zero state income tax, so I'm still saving money.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31

$78.50 per vehicle, no state income tax. But how are your property taxes? Oy vey...

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?

@VegasFrank said:

@TRayB said:

Congratulations. That's still nuts, and confiscatory. You have zero income tax because the tax needs are met by tourism/entertainment industry, not because the needs are being met by registration "fees". You also have fuel taxes, theoretically designed to pay for highway infrastructure. What, specifically, do you get for such an expensive registration "fee"?

@Stubble said:
    $78.50 per vehicle, no state income tax. But how are your property taxes? Oy vey...

I would assume real estate property taxes are pretty low, for the same reason no state income tax, but, you would have to consider the registration "fee" as a sort of property tax. It's no fee.

edited August 31

@TRayB said:

@Stubble said:

I would assume real estate property taxes are pretty low, for the same reason no state income tax, but, you would have to consider the registration "fee" as a sort of property tax. It's no fee.

It's all government sponsored theft...no matter how you cut it. Just my .02 worth. Property taxes are not low IMHO.

@Stubble said:

2200 bucks this year, house is worth 500-ish.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.

@Stubble said:

@TRayB said:

@Stubble said:

It's all government sponsored theft...no matter how you cut it. Just my .02 worth. Property taxes are not low IMHO.

Lower than PA, that's a fact. But the NV sales tax is way higher than PA.

I don't disagree, but if a state decides (by passing a law in the legislature) vehicles should be registered, then the fee should cover the cost of creating, maintaining, and staffing the registration department. Nothing more.

@VegasFrank said:

@Stubble said:

Worth, or County Appraised? With homestead exemption? Y'all got that over there?

@TRayB said:

@VegasFrank said:

@TRayB said:

Congratulations. That's still nuts, and confiscatory. You have zero income tax because the tax needs are met by tourism/entertainment industry, not because the needs are being met by registration "fees". You also have fuel taxes, theoretically designed to pay for highway infrastructure. What, specifically, do you get for such an expensive registration "fee"?

Lol settle down Alice. 😂 I know why my state income tax is zero. I love the theoreticals, but all state money goes into a general fund so the Republican government can steal from it 😂 😂 😂 😂. At the end of the day I only care about the amount coming from my pocket.

If you want to live in the lowest tax burden place in the country, I guess you should move to Florida. That wasn't my end goal.

@Stubble said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Stubble said:

Worth, or County Appraised? With homestead exemption? Y'all got that over there?

Worth, but the tax is based on assessment. No exemption. I'm no homesteader lol

@VegasFrank said:

@Stubble said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Stubble said:

Worth, but the tax is based on assessment. No exemption. I'm no homesteader lol

Figured.

edited August 31

@VegasFrank said:

@TRayB said:

@VegasFrank said:

@TRayB said:

Lol settle down Alice. 😂 I know why my state income tax is zero. I love the theoreticals, but all state money goes into a general fund so the Republican government can steal from it 😂 😂 😂 😂. At the end of the day I only care about the amount coming from my pocket.

If you want to live in the lowest tax burden place in the country, I guess you should move to Florida. That wasn't my end goal.

That's not my end goal either, and I understand the math of higher taxes in one area versus lower taxes in another, etc. etc. (it can be complicated when thinking about relocating). The vehicle registration thing is just a bridge too far for me. Did you also pay >8% sales tax when you bought it?

@TRayB said:

@VegasFrank said:

@TRayB said:

@VegasFrank said:

@TRayB said:

That's not my end goal either, and I understand the math of higher taxes in one area versus lower taxes in another, etc. etc.. The vehicle registration thing is just a bridge too far for me. Did you also pay >8% sales tax when you bought it?

Yeah I sure did man. 8.35 I think at the time that I bought mine. My wife's might have been 8.45. I think that sales taxes are by county around here, and mine is the highest in the state.

I don't know what all of the fees are on the registration fee. I know that there's a road usage fee and obviously the registration fee and some sort of tax. I think there's one or two other things. Oh and there's my vanity plate fee of 20 bucks a year which is on top of my specialized plate fee for vgk plates that is another 10 or $20 a year. Meh.

Paying 10% of my AGI would cost me WF more. Doesn't matter what you do, the fuçking thieves that you people elect (because I don't vote) are going to get more than their fair share.

The one that really pisses me off is paying sales tax on used goods, like on ebay. What the **** is that bro?

@VegasFrank

Sure, a 10% state income tax would be a whole lot of money (I assume that's what you mean). In PA, it's 3.07%.

I agree about the used goods. That's nuts, Alice.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

At one point the U.S. got all of its revenue from import tariffs. We need to rethink all the other taxes.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

@ShawnOL said:
    At one point the U.S. got all of its revenue from import tariffs. We need to rethink all the other taxes.

That's also a tax on the people man. Import tariffs are charged to companies that import, and those companies pass the savings on to us.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, those leakers in the Political Discussions thread better step it up... this is way better over here! Thanks, fellas! Keep up the good work.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Where's the flag button....

@VegasFrank said:

@ShawnOL said:

That's also a tax on the people man. Import tariffs are charged to companies that import, and those companies pass the savings on to us.

Same as retail theft.

@VegasFrank said:

The one that really pisses me off is paying sales tax on used goods, like on ebay. What the **** is that bro?

Not to beat a dead horse too long, but thinking about this, you are essentially paying a yearly sales tax on a used good you have only purchased once. Yeah, politicians do suck.

@Stubble said:

@VegasFrank said:

@ShawnOL said:

Same as retail theft.

Well maybe, but it's not exactly indicative of a free market. The bottom line is that our society taxes consumers, and those who use the biggest portion of their income on consumer products are the poor people. Just by percentage.

@TRayB said:

@VegasFrank said:

Not to beat a dead horse too long, but thinking about this, you are essentially paying a yearly sales tax on a used good you have only purchased once. Yeah, politicians do suck.

Absolutely. On some things I can kind of see it. If you own a used toy shop, and you have some vintage toy that's worth some money, yeah I guess sales tax might make sense.

Ebay is an online garage sale if you're not a business. Do you pay sales tax or garage sales? Are you supposed to? It's bullshit man

edited September 1

@peter4jc said:
    Man, those leakers in the Political Discussions thread better step it up... this is way better over here! Thanks, fellas! Keep up the good work.

Yeah the problem with that political thread is now it's full of memes. Thanks Steve 😡

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

one penny costs more than three pennies (3.07 cents at last count) to make and distribute!

Why are we still making tons (many thousands of tons) of pennies if no one uses them? That’s a sensible question with a psychotic answer: We have to keep making all these pennies — over $45 million worth last year — because no one uses them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/01/magazine/worthless-pennies-united-states-economy.html

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

If gas jumped $0.05 at a time you'd have chaos.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    one penny costs more than three pennies (3.07 cents at last count) to make and distribute!

Why are we still making tons (many thousands of tons) of pennies if no one uses them? That’s a sensible question with a psychotic answer: We have to keep making all these pennies — over $45 million worth last year — because no one uses them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/01/magazine/worthless-pennies-united-states-economy.html

I use them as design elements in sculpture.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@Stubble said:

Triple and a bit more than half

$150 per vehicle per year

4% income tax with talk of raising it

7 - 8% sales tax. Much more on cigars

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TRayB said:
    On another vehicle-related note, in Pennsylvania it costs 145% more to register a pickup truck than a car/SUV. Truck - $110/yr., Car - $45/yr.
    I do not know the state's reasoning behind the difference.

ETA: What does vehicle registration cost in your state? And is it annual, or one-time?

5x yours….🤬😖😞

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.