Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    0patience said:

Lawmakers pass bill to take guns away from those deemed at risk of suicide, shooting sprees

So what prevents them from deciding anyone is a risk?
    If someone doesn't like you, they can report you as a risk and they can take your guns?

I can see this going very badly.
    Knock Knock, good morning, you have been deemed a risk, where are your guns?  Locked in the safe.  Open the safe, we are here to confiscate them.  No

What happens next?
    Amendment IV
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^ yet, it seems there are laws passed daily that ignore this and most other articles found there..
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "... shall not be infringed."
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^ yet, it seems there are laws passed daily that ignore this and most other articles found there..

That is and has been the problem all along.
    Laws are for honest people. 
    Laws of all kinds are ignored wholesale in this country.
    It is not hard to go back to earlier shootings, school or otherwise, and see that someone did not do his/her job.
    Both the local cops and FBI were negligent in the latest shooting. 

The Swiss not only do a background check they also do a mental test (I Don't know what it entails). Half the number of guns owned and a population so much smaller and not one school shooting.

After Columbine a Military Shrink was made a laughing stock because he said that the shooters proceeded down the halls just like they were mimicking arcade games. He was right but hollywood would have none of it.

I could write 100s of pages....but no one really listens.

Just spend time with your kids. Teach them the value of their word, teach them to take personal responsibility. Patriotism, faith and discipline was forced out of schools, and that timeline when compared to the shootings is striking.

As far as street crime it is another discussion and should never be talked about when speaking of the other. 22,000 gun laws and they ain't causing a dent 

I apologise....
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This afternoon I got into a conversation with my neighbor that I learned is very anti gun.  He started with how guns are not needed and all should be illegal especiallt handguns and OMG assault guns.

I have always had a reply for this type:  If you do not know what a 4473, form 4 or 922 r is, and do not know the importance of the years 1934, 1968, 1986, 1994 and 2004 or the difference between may issue or shall issue, then you are not prepared to articulate any useful opinion on the gun laws of this country.

I honestly believe something needs to be done, however outlawing guns is not the answer, and no not even AR-15.  Maybe we need to hold parents accountable for not teaching kids right from wrong. To protect our fellow mankind, not pick on and take advantage of the weak or small.  Maybe take a real close look at what is in medications given to us?  And how about just locking up people that are whacko so that we can be protected from them.  The list is endless.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jd50ae  "I apologise...." No need,  Brother. Well said.
      The "rot" has many causes, and a big part of it goes back to when many men stopped acting like men.  Instead of taking the hard road to do what we all knew was right, they became effeminate and began to walk the easy path. A slippery slope indeed. We held ourselves and each other to a higher standard with swift, and what would be seen nowadays as severe, repercussions.  Was it perfect? Of course not, but a far cry from today.  There's my rant. 
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone mentioned previously that we don't need gun laws, we just have to make things like murder, rape, robbery, assault, etc. against the law, then no one would do them and everyone would be safe.

It is the same logic for gun laws.  If you are planning to commit a serious crime with heavy prison time, do you think you would be worried about possessing a firearm and breaking that law?

As retired law enforcement, I have been asked to be on the safety committee at church.  It is truly sad that you have to think about protecting the congregation against a shooter in church, but that's where we are.  Having people in church and in schools who are trained and carry, will go far in saving lives if an active shooter enters the building.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    webmost said:

Has been infringed. We're actually discussing the few leftover scraps of the true second amendment at this point.   

The current problem is not guns and the solution is not further "infringement" upon gun rights. The real answer lies in recognizing the correlating timelines of the rise in mass shootings and the de-institutionalization of the mentally ill. 

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have gone from a "complaint-based society to a permission-based oppressor" as someone said on a different forum I follow; no wonder good folks are up in arms. If you've got the money, or the fantasy that guns will protect you, you've got the power, for good or bad....
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    The 2nd Amendment is there for the sole purpose of giving the law abiding citizens of this country the ability to take back the government if the government forgets The Constitution, and who they serve. Union, TN .......

The 9th Amendment (I think it is the 9TH) discusses personal rights. It is often overlooked.

Some of the first "gun laws" happened because American manufacturers did not want the Europeans selling firearms in this country. American manufacturers did not want the competition. 

And @silvermouse, I am sorry to strongly disagree with the "fantasy" label. Too many Americans have proven that the right to carry and own firearms has been a life saver. I do agree that there are a lot of thugs that think possessing (usually someone elses) a firearm makes them invincible and a bada$$. I was going to say that "owning a firearm", but thugs steal them. Laws are for honest people, after all.

Where I differ from Pro-Gun groups is background checks. Every firearm I have ever purchased went through a State Police background check first. It should be a nation wide step. Safety classes should be mandatory for all carry permits. The states that do this also have methods in place where "eminent" danger allows for the waiver of waiting periods.
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^
    Background checks ARE nationwide checks, the are done by the FBI. Every single legal new gun sale is only completed after a NICS background check comes back clean. And there are no online or gun show loopholes
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have gone from a "complaint-based society to a permission-based oppressor" as someone said on a different forum I follow; no wonder good folks are up in arms. If you've got the money, or the fantasy that guns will protect you, you've got the power, for good or bad....

It's not a fantasy to believe guns will protect you. All the people who's job it is to protect somebody or something usually have guns. 
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Diver43 said:
    ^^^^^^
    Background checks ARE nationwide checks, the are done by the FBI. Every single legal new gun sale is only completed after a NICS background check comes back clean. And there are no online or gun show loopholes

But every pro-gun outfit I know of is against them. Some are changing the way they view them, thankfully. National Instant Criminal Background Check System, NICS is an FBI database. The local background check is often State Police, which I really believe to be a better one.

And the local State Police check has a built in waiting period in most if not all states, 3 days usually(?), and is a good idea. Does the FBI check have a waiting period, I really don't know.
  • Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    webmost said:

Has been infringed. We're actually discussing the few leftover scraps of the true second amendment at this point.   

The current problem is not guns and the solution is not further "infringement" upon gun rights. The real answer lies in recognizing the correlating timelines of the rise in mass shootings and the de-institutionalization of the mentally ill. 

The reason the "institutions" were closed is because they were becoming empty buildings. The doctors and authorities decided it was cheaper to feed them drugs then to keep watch on them. I can think of a number of instances institutionalized never made it into the background check. 
  • Options
    YankeeMan said:
    ... we don't need gun laws, we just have to make things like murder, rape, robbery, assault, etc. against the law, then no one would do them and everyone would be safe.

Aptly put.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trouble light.
    Approiate name for this tool.

Because if you need it, you are probably in trouble.
    My wife was too drunk and I was too tired to do the dishes last night, so they sat in and around the sink. Woke up to find a colony of ants had arrived for breakfast.
    One thing lead to another and this is how I have spent my day off so far. If I manage to get it put back together I will have a much needed beer and cigar. 

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Guitarded I have to check the rules but I think you’re allowed a minimum of one beer putting that back together. 
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and was she wearing this shirt too?

Image result for take me drunk im home
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Fun. At least it wasn't a (shudder) plumbing problem.
  • Options
    great, I quit drinking to avoid dying prematurely and now they are saying if I don't drink I'm going to die prematurely. Well, I did drink way too much.
    "Drinking alcohol key to living past 90, study says"
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-02-alcohol-key.html
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pour'n Glenlivet 12.  Proust!
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marcel?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Marcel?
    Always
  • Options
    I need to increase my drinking and spread it out evenly across the week.

I'm listening to a Hidden Brain podcast on sleep and they threw out a statistic that heart attacks increase 23% when we lose San hour due to daylight savings time and decrease 21% when we gain an hour.
  • Options
    ... and what else happens at those same times?

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Well.
    It looks like you will have to be 21 to purchase a firearm in the near future.
    (If only they would raise the drinking age back to 21. And the voting age.)

When that happens, how are they going to get parents to start acting like parents?
  • Options
    webmost said:
    ... and what else happens at those same times?
    Lots of roadkill.