Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss the good old days a couple hundred years or more back. Everyone then carried a sword, a dagger, and maybe a flint pistol.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A liberal dream?

Indian man to sue his parents for giving birth to him ‘without his consent’, wants to be paid for his life

• Options
    I miss the good old days a couple hundred years or more back. Everyone then carried a sword, a dagger, and maybe a flint pistol.
    There use to be no question of an individual's right to protect themselves, or be a swashbuckler.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    A liberal dream?

Indian man to sue his parents for giving birth to him ‘without his consent’, wants to be paid for his life

Reverse the procedure. Problem solved.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Men tended to hold each other to a higher standard and "Stayed in their lane" or quickly face consequences..
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Men tended to hold each other to a higher standard and "Stayed in their lane" or quickly face consequences..
    Early explorers in Africa and the New World often remarked how you could never find a people more scrupulously polite and impeccably well-behaved to one another than cannibals. I spose common sense ought to tell you if you don't want your nuts boiled don't stare at the neighbor's wife's mammaries, don't short-change him, and don't step on his young yams. Cause if you don't got no common sense, you got Darwin.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Green New Deal: Ocasio-Cortez aims to make air travel obsolete, aid those ‘unwilling’ to work

• Options
    I love this gal. I absolute adore her. Totally fearless. History, arithmetic, logic, even reality itself does not faze her. Not for a minute. Fearless.

Who's crazier... AOC or the party afraid to disown her?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Party just tries to be crazier than she is, it's awesome.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

• Options
    Illinois Dems introduce bill requiring gun buyers to reveal social media accounts before getting firearm license

• Options
    jd50ae said:
    Illinois Dems introduce bill requiring gun buyers to reveal social media accounts before getting firearm license

Will that include this forum?
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    jd50ae said:

No. Social media are sites like Farcebook, Twitcher, Instaslam, and BoobTube. Forums aren't considered social media although some blogs could be.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    BKDog said:
    jd50ae said:
    jd50ae said:

No. Social media are sites like Farcebook, Twitcher, Instaslam, and BoobTube. Forums aren't considered social media although some blogs could be.
    Thanks but I was joking.
  • Options

The College Fix reports:

Georgetown students may pay reparations for slavery with new student fee

Georgetown University students will soon vote on whether they want to tax themselves to benefit the descendants of slaves sold by the university in the 1830s.

Its student government recently authorized a campuswide student referendum on whether to establish a fund for the families of the 272 men, women and children sold by Georgetown in 1838.

If approved, the semesterly fee would begin to be collected in the fall of 2020 and start at $27.20 per student “in honor of the 272 people sold by Georgetown,” states the student government resolution approving the referendum, a copy of which was obtained Wednesday by The College Fix.

“The proceeds of the GU272 Reconciliation Contributions will be allocated for charitable purposes directly benefiting the descendants of the GU272 and other persons once enslaved by the Maryland Jesuits — with special consideration given to causes and proposals directly benefiting those descendants still residing in proud and underprivileged communities,” the resolution stated.

The student government resolution approving the campuswide referendum was passed Feb. 3 by a vote of 20 in favor and 4 against, and with that the student body vote will occur in April alongside the annual student government elections, according to the resolution.

Over the past few years, Georgetown has undertaken a plan to reckon with the legacy of slavery at the private Catholic institution. In 1838, the university sold 272 slaves to pay off its debts. It officially apologized for the sale in April 2017

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tax themselves to benefit the descendants of slavery? 
    How will they prove they are descendants of slavery? 
    It's not like you have a gene for being a slave.

The other thing is, slaves came in all colors.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    I'm a slave to the system; Pay up suckas!!
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The students won't care if they're taxed because they won't be the ones paying for it, I'm guessing.   Mom & Dad, or govt. grants, or student loans...  
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Gosh!  You think the U.K. will get in on this?  

On the Irish side of my family the brit's stole their land and possessions, put them in chains in the bottoms of ships, whipped them, beat them, and sent them to this country to be slaves before Portugal opened up the African slave markets.

On the Scottish side the brits stole their land and possessions, drafted my ancestor into the British army and sent him to the Crimean Wars where he was wounded too badly to fight anymore.  So, they sent him to Ireland where relatives were burdened with raising his children after his forced enlistment.  Dying from his wounds he sent the children on to Canada where more distant relatives put them to work at the ages of 8 and 10.  They didn't enter the U.S. until the 1890's.

Plus, I have green eyes, only 2% of the worlds population has green eyes.  So, I'm part of a really small minority.  Oh, and I have as much or more American Indian blood in me as Elizabeth Warren, that should count.

I mean, don't y'all think that I should be paid enough money to live comfortably forever, since after all people whose names I don't know, whose lives I didn't live, suffered hardships I've never suffered?  

That makes sense, doesn't it?

Sheesh!

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius....

Oh, wait. Scratch Aquarius and insert “Millenials”

Or, how about “The age of entitlement”?

🙄
  • Options
    Kuh-Ching$$$$$$
  • Options
    As an evil white male, I ate at Cracker Barrel and feel like they owe me some kind of restitution because of their offensive name, which may or may not have anything to do with actual crackers or the slang term for white people.

:p
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    Bingo brawl breaks out at Canadian nursing home: report

https://www.foxnews.com/world/bingo-brawl-breaks-out-at-canadian-nursing-home-report

If a Canadian nursing home can break out in a bingo riot can the end be far behind?
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you use pesticides and herbicides on your lawn please think about this:

Plummeting insect numbers 'threaten collapse of nature'
    Exclusive: Insects could vanish within a century at current rate of decline, says global review

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/10/plummeting-insect-numbers-threaten-collapse-of-nature
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    A liberal dream?

He can eat a shotgun and call it a late term abortion. Problem solved
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:

🙄
    As a Gen Xer looking both ways, I still maintain Boomers are far more selfish and entitled than Gen Y.

But my Z kids may give even those 1945+ers a run for their money.  Or not.  They're still developing.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options

Exclusive: Insects could vanish within a century at current rate of decline, says global review

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/10/plummeting-insect-numbers-threaten-collapse-of-nature

Pfft. They obviously haven't seen my yard.
    I don't like to use pesticides, but I do when it gets really bad. The Diatomaceous Earth I spread around only does so much. There will always be plenty of insects --but not bees. I'd be worried we're losing bees, because that's critical.
  • Options

I nominate skeeters

• Options
    HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    Martel said:
    jlmarta said:

🙄
    As a Gen Xer looking both ways, I still maintain Boomers are far more selfish and entitled than Gen Y.

But my Z kids may give even those 1945+ers a run for their money.  Or not.  They're still developing.
    I would like to say if you raise them right they wont be.... at least until they get into school and learn all the BS from their teachers and peers.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:

I nominate skeeters
    unfortunately, skeeters, flies, and cockroaches are doing fine.