Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Mystery Stick Game

Comments

• Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Excellent! I can pay you back for introducing me to one of my favorite cigars! I have since lost your info though, could you PM it?
  • Options
    hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Posts: 123
    PMed ya!

CK
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Got my package from Alien today... Will get on these tonight.
  • Options
    betasynn:
    Hm... not too bad :) If you compare it to my second attempt, much better. Was the perdomo a segundo? And I liked all three of the sticks. You really did a nice number here, thanks so much for these. Now; who wants to be my mooch?
    No, the perdomo was not a segundo. It was a Perdomo2 - Perdomo "Squared"
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    Got my package from Alien today... Will get on these tonight.
    So, looking at these mystery sticks, I think I have a good idea what A is - looks like the RP Old World Reserve... will confirm after I smoke it. But B and C are impossible to tell from looks. Actually, they look like the exact same cigar, just one a robusto and one a toro. I'll get one these starting tomorrow. Gonna let them adjust at least one night. Oh, and alien, the additions were greatly appreciated. He sent three additional sticks - a RP Rosado, a Padilla Obsidian, and a Nording. The only one I've had is the Padilla Obsidian.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I assure you, B and C are very different cigars. Can't wait to see what you think of cigar A, I'll give you a hint: it is one of my go-to cigars.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    I assure you, B and C are very different cigars. Can't wait to see what you think of cigar A, I'll give you a hint: it is one of my go-to cigars.
    ok, so I started with C since I had a short drive and it was a robusto. The cigar was a little rugged looking but had a nice smell to it. It appeared to be either a Cameroon or light maduro wrapper. Prelight draw was nice and light. I fired it up and got smoking. The burn and draw were fine, and it produced a ton of smoke. Not really my cup o'tea when it came to flavor though. I got a little earth and mostly just ashy flavors. I'd say this was a CCOM Red Label from experience. If that's not it, maybe the CCOM Cameroon. But I'd almost guarantee this was a CCOM house blend
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    I Think I Can narrow that down to about 10. :)
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    ok, cigar B - same comments as C above. Looks and smells like another CCOM to me, maybe the blue label for this one in a toro size
  • Options
    Aight, smoked the last one, Cigar A... three in a day is a TON of smoking for me... A was nice. It was a box pressed toro with a great, oily maduro wrapper. The prelight draw had a slightly sweet, fruity flavor. I started smoking it, and the flavors were as good as the prelight draw alluded to. I got some earth, coffee, a little bit of spice on the back of the palate. It had a nice medium body, and didn't produce a ton of smoke, but enough. It did have some burn problems though. About two inches in it started canoeing pretty badly. Had a plug in the top half about halfway down. I kept doing touchups and corrective lights, but it kept on canoeing.

Overall, a pretty good cigar, just had some burn problems. I have to say A is a Rocky Patel, maybe an Old World Reserve Maduro

In summary:
    A: RP Old World Reserve Maduro
    B: CCOM - blue label?
    C: CCOM - red label
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    Aight, smoked the last one, Cigar A... three in a day is a TON of smoking for me... A was nice. It was a box pressed toro with a great, oily maduro wrapper. The prelight draw had a slightly sweet, fruity flavor. I started smoking it, and the flavors were as good as the prelight draw alluded to. I got some earth, coffee, a little bit of spice on the back of the palate. It had a nice medium body, and didn't produce a ton of smoke, but enough. It did have some burn problems though. About two inches in it started canoeing pretty badly. Had a plug in the top half about halfway down. I kept doing touchups and corrective lights, but it kept on canoeing.

Overall, a pretty good cigar, just had some burn problems. I have to say A is a Rocky Patel, maybe an Old World Reserve Maduro

In summary:
    I'm suprised you stuck with the RP Old World Reserve on A, I find them to be very different. I could see where you would think B is a house blend. Here are the answers:

Cigar A: CI Anniversary Epicure
    Cigar B: Arturo Fuente 8-5-8
    Cigar C: Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    cholmes8310:
    In summary:
    I'm suprised you stuck with the RP Old World Reserve on A, I find them to be very different. I could see where you would think B is a house blend. Here are the answers:

Huhm... well... d@mn... A really just reminded me of a RP... couldn't get past it. it's been a while since I had the Old World, but it seemed really similar...

I suck... this game just ain't for me, hah!
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    alienmisprint:
    cholmes8310:
    In summary:

Huhm... well... d@mn... A really just reminded me of a RP... couldn't get past it. it's been a while since I had the Old World, but it seemed really similar...

I suck... this game just ain't for me, hah!
    You did no worse than I did my first go-round, lol. One of my mystery sticks was a Padilla 68, a cigar I swear by, and I didn't even get it.
  • Options
    Yeah, look at my first try; I looked foolish, and my second try, I got 2/3. Not a bad turn around. If I can say one thing, this game has REALLY helped me with my tasting skills.
  • Options
    Bass, I was waiting on a cigar shipment, so I will get the package out tomorrow, I got something (I think) you will enjoy. We shall see.
  • Options
    Just showing this thread a little love, I sent my sticks a little while ago, so they should have arrived today.
  • Options
    Aight, I got the mystery sticks plus a few others from beta. I'll start on them in a day or two.

So, who wants to be my mooch?

CK
  • Options
    So I finished smoking all three sticks.

Cigar A: Robusto. Looks like a Cameroon or Corojo wrapper with some nice tooth. Pre-light smell of cedar. Bit tight of a draw pre-light. Mild first few puffs with a bit of spice through the nose. First inch reminds me of the 5 Vegas Miami. Body built up to medium. Lots of spice and cedar with a nice sweetness that faded in and out. Nice even burn with a firm ash. Draw opened up a bit about half way through. Hints of coffee on the finish. The spice pretty much disappeared 2/3rds in the cedar and sweetness took over.

My guess its a 5 Vegas Miami.

Cigar B: Torpedo. Rough looking wrapper but good pre-light smell and draw. Smell reminds me of a 5 Vegas Limitada. Lots of oils on the wrapper. A pleasant spice on the palate and throught the nose. Some flavors I can’t put my finger on but I like. The spice supsided about halfway through but was still present in the undertones. Medium bodied.

My guess is a 5 Vegas Limitada 2008.

Cigar C: Toro. Looks like an Edge Maduro. A sweet cedar smell pre-light. Great sweetness from the get go. Lots of smoke. Sweetness subsided after the first inch or so and nice pepper showed up. Nice solid ash. Pretty full bodied.

My guess is an Edge Maduro.

So how did I do?
    And who wants to be my mooch?

CK
  • Options
    Not half bad! I give you big props, and I'm happy to have gotten the perspective I did. Cigar A: Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet. Wanted to see if it lived up to the hype, and it did! Cigar B: 5 Vegas Limitada... 2009! This is the one I had shipped in special. Cigar C: 5 Vegas Series 'A' Apocalypse. Veeery interesting, as it's a big ring cigar, and I thought the Edge Maddy was a box-pressed, unless I slipped up and gave you an Apex instead. Either way, it's a 5 Vegas A. Very nice guess for the B cigar though.
  • Options
    Not to bad. I had a Cuban Cabinet a few days before I smoked the one you sent me. They didn't taste anything alike. I guess that just shows what knowing the brand can do to your tasting. I guess I never realized how similer the Serie A and Edge can taste. As far as I know the Edge doesn't come box pressed.

Who wants to be my mystery mooch?

CK
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Hell i started this game and havent played yet! I'll mooch mystery sticks off ya!
  • Options
    Cool! You wanna PM me your info and I'll get those sent out soon.

CK
  • Options
    So who wants to be mystery stick mooch?
  • Options
    Got your sticks yesterday! I already started in on "A", I'll have "B" tonight and "C" tomorrow. I'm 99% sure i have "A" nailed down but the other two are going to be tricky, I'll report back tomorrow.

Still waitin on a mooch!! This is a really fun game and challenges what you think you know about cigars.
  • Options
    Up
  • Options
    OK so i lied, i had all 3 today :). Heres what i think:
    Cigar "A": Connecticut wrapper, nice creamey cedary taste...this has to be a Perdomo ESV 91, not sure if it was a second or not, but damn good.

Cigar "B": I was back and forth on this one, the flavor profile i think was AJ Fernandez, a very good smoke. Lots of depth, initally a tight cedar and earth taste, and i'm guessing Corojo wrapper... 5 Vegas Miami/ Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet.

Cigar "C": This one was a **** because i think "B" and "C" were really close together. Initially i thought it tasted kinda Padilla-ish, took it ot the nub and was still stumped. Initally a blast of coffee flavors, subsided after the first inch and went to earthy leathery flavors. I'm thinking Habano wrapper...nicaraguan...I'll say Padilla Habano but not 100% on that one.

All smokes had perfect burn and were very tasty. So how did i do?

STILL WAITING ON A MOOCH DAMNIT!! Come on, this is fun!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    Cigar "A": Connecticut wrapper, nice creamey cedary taste...this has to be a Perdomo ESV 91, not sure if it was a second or not, but damn good.

Cigar "B": I was back and forth on this one, the flavor profile i think was AJ Fernandez, a very good smoke. Lots of depth, initally a tight cedar and earth taste, and i'm guessing 5 Vegas Miami.

Cigar "C": This one was a **** because i think "B" and "C" were really close together. Initially i thought it tasted kinda Padilla-ish, took it ot the nub and was still stumped. Initally a blast of coffee flavors, subsided after the first inch and went to earthy leathery flavors. I'm thinking Habano wrapper...nicaraguan...I'll say Padilla Habano but not 100% on that one.

Jet, I WOULD mooch off ya, but from my last attempt, it's clear I SUCK at this game. Someone step up and mooch off him before I have to make a complete idiot of myself again.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:

Cigar "B": I was back and forth on this one, the flavor profile i think was AJ Fernandez, a very good smoke. Lots of depth, initally a tight cedar and earth taste, and i'm guessing Corojo wrapper... 5 Vegas Miami/ Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet.

Cigar A was a Verdadero Organic. Cigar B was a Man O'War. Cigar C was an A. Fernandez.

CK
  • Options
    DAMN are you for real!! I thought for sure it was a Perdomo ESV!! I liked it very much and am glad because i have some on the way for a trade. The second one i nailed the AJ Fernandez but MOW just slipped my mind...even right after i lit it i said "Damn ive had this one before" but couldnt put my thumb on it. Also B/C being both fernandez i thought the profiles were really similar. I really enjoyed all three, thanks CK!

This is pretty fun and i'm still waiting on a mooch, i leave for cruise in a week and a half so someone pony up so i have time to send and give you the results :)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Ok, I've been toying with the idea of giving the mystery cigars another go, and I'd just hate to leave you hanging Vinny. I'll mooch some mystery sticks off ya buddy.