jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything that says Padron! still!
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    Anything that says Padron! still!
    finally found one I like. The 1926 maduro is pretty good
  • Options
    for some reason , i really dont like el mejor esmerald and the espresso.......could not enjoy them .....not for me!!!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    millennium115:
    for some reason , i really dont like el mejor esmerald and the espresso.......could not enjoy them .....not for me!!!
    I'm with you there. Far from goat ass in my opinion though, the emerald was just kinda boring and the espresso was ok but not something I'm going to buy.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    millennium115:
    I'm with you there. Far from goat ass in my opinion though, the emerald was just kinda boring and the espresso was ok but not something I'm going to buy.
    Yeah. The emerald's not bad, not great either. Kind of a hand out cigar in my opinion. The espresso is like all those other oily, tempermental budget maduros. It's ok when it burns right, but you might have to go through several to get one. Tastes about the same too. Not worth it imho.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    That will be the Padilla Obsidian for me. Utter terribleness.
    +1... it seems they sneek one in 90% of overy sampler i see..
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Japilis:
    sightunseen:
    +2, hate the non burning Obsidian
  • Options
    The park avenue!!!! total fargin goat ass.3 puffs and gag!!
  • Options
    fla-gypsy:
    Japilis:
    sightunseen:
    I was digging in my coolerdor yesterday and spotted a bundle of Obsidians tucked in the corner that have been there for about two years...didn't even think about pulling one out...maybe in another year. Too bad really, they taste really nice when they want to cooperate, but that's just not often enough.
  • Options
    MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    j0z3r:
    fla-gypsy:
    Japilis:
    sightunseen:
    I was digging in my coolerdor yesterday and spotted a bundle of Obsidians tucked in the corner that have been there for about two years...didn't even think about pulling one out...maybe in another year. Too bad really, they taste really nice when they want to cooperate, but that's just not often enough.

yeah, there are some nice flavors there but even then there's a chemical/metallic flavor. . .not sure these are worth it
  • Options
    Mephisto:
    j0z3r:
    fla-gypsy:
    Japilis:
    sightunseen:

yeah, there are some nice flavors there but even then there's a chemical/metallic flavor. . .not sure these are worth it
    Never got a chemical or metallic flavor, just a bunch with horrendous draw/burn problems. The flavors have always been right on for me when I can get anything. For the price, they were worth it at the time, if I knew then what I know now...
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    The only reason Obsidian isnt my #1 goats a$$ stick is because I couldnt get enough draw to tell how $hitty it really was.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    The Rocky Patel Edge Lite... this thing wasn't even the goats ass, it was the dried goat s#!t in the field.
    Just another in a long line of shity smokes by Rocky.

• Options
    has anyone tried dry-boxing the obsidian for a day before smoking to see if the burn and draw get better. some really oily sticks need to dry boxed for correct burn and flavor
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    has anyone tried dry-boxing the obsidian for a day before smoking to see if the burn and draw get better. some really oily sticks need to dry boxed for correct burn and flavor
    I've thought of this, too but I just can't get myself to own another one of those blasted things.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    dennisking:
    I've thought of this, too but I just can't get myself to own another one of those blasted things.
    There is nothing that can be done to help the Obsidian. If you are lucky enough to get one with a good draw and burn then enjoy it. For the other 99% of you, it will happen no matter what you try. Just accept it, enjoy what you can (which some times is a lot of awesome flavors with this one) and try not to get too pi$$ed off at the cigar...
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    How does one dry-box a cigar?
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    JCizzle:
    How does one dry-box a cigar?
    easy as it sounds. You take the cigar out of your humidor, put it in a cigar box and let it dry out just a little bit before smoking it. This is most effective on cigars that don't burn well. I've also found that it can really help with the super oily cigars, makes them burn straighter. I do this with the LFD DL, the Camacho Triple Maduro, Ruination from time to time, it seems to help a bit with the Liga Privada smokes. but yea, dry boxing is simple. Just don't do it for more than a couple hours.
  • Options
    The beard says to drybox the 5vegas relic for 24 hours
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    dennisking:
    Won't help that cigar is a lost cause.

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I dryboxed those GH 2002 Churchills for 2 weeks before they would smoke. But it did eventually work. Still didn't change the fact that they wasted 2" of tobacco on everyone but I was able to smoke them finally
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    I dryboxed those GH 2002 Churchills for 2 weeks before they would smoke. But it did eventually work. Still didn't change the fact that they wasted 2" of tobacco on everyone but I was able to smoke them finally
    I tried to smoke one tonight that's been in the humi since purchase, about 4 puffs in and it split 3" and the damn wrapper fell off! I guess that what's been the biggest disappointment with these is that the Robustos are SO good. :(
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I've been keeping those GH churchills in the bottom of my humi, around 65% since I got them. They've really been hit or miss with me - a few tasted pretty good, a few were disappointing, and the last one I smoked on the golf course was going ok until I was about 3 inches in, then I just hit something really bad - it was like someone used the tobacco leaves to wipe their ass before rolling them. My playing buddies were asking why I was suddenly spitting and gargling with my water; I felt like I could vomit.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    dennisking:
    Won't help that cigar is a lost cause.

i disagree. i think that in a few years it will be good. when you dont have to fight with that cigar the potential is there. rest may make it so you dont have to fight with it.

especially if it is in a slightly lower RH like 65-68%
  • Options
    MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    ejenne87:
    bigharpoon:
    dennisking:
    There is nothing that can be done to help the Obsidian. If you are lucky enough to get one with a good draw and burn then enjoy it. For the other 99% of you, it will happen no matter what you try. Just accept it, enjoy what you can (which some times is a lot of awesome flavors with this one) and try not to get too pi$$ed off at the cigar...

I dry boxed one 36 hours once and it smoked well, tasted good except for a faint chemical taste.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Wow... we should re-name this thread to "The Padilla Obsidian Appreciation Thread". Or maybe start a new thread for cigars which win the "Padilla Obsidian Award". LOL

• Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Wow... we should re-name this thread to "The Padilla Obsidian Appreciation Thread". Or maybe start a new thread for cigars which win the "Padilla Obsidian Award". LOL

Lol