Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Sticks that taste like goats ass

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've got a full bundle of Obsidians in the bottom of my cooler. If I have to age them into oblivion to get a good one I will, but one of these days I'm gonna have a eureka moment with them...one of these days. They've been cooking for probably 2.5 years now, or right around there.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I've got a full bundle of Obsidians in the bottom of my cooler. If I have to age them into oblivion to get a good one I will, but one of these days I'm gonna have a eureka moment with them...one of these days. They've been cooking for probably 2.5 years now, or right around there.
    Wow, I've actually always had good luck with the Obsidian and really enjoy the flavor... I guess I'm a cult of one! LoL. I'm jealous of your stash Joe!
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    j0z3r:
    Wow, I've actually always had good luck with the Obsidian and really enjoy the flavor... I guess I'm a cult of one! LoL. I'm jealous of your stash Joe!
    I've enjoyed the flavor, just the construction has been hit or miss, mostly miss unfortunately.
  • Options
    MperconteMperconte Posts: 367
    The Nica Libre 1990.....Just plan crap!
    I couldn't even get past the 1st third; I had to throw it out.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    j0z3r:
    Im a little slow on the uptake sometimes, so let me make sure Im getting this correctly...

You've spent valuable storage space - on Obsidians?

FOR TWO AND A HALF YEARS?!?!?

Who has that kind of free space???

• Options
    The Sniper:
    j0z3r:
    Im a little slow on the uptake sometimes, so let me make sure Im getting this correctly...

You've spent valuable storage space - on Obsidians?

FOR TWO AND A HALF YEARS?!?!?

Who has that kind of free space???

Well, truth be told I've got a soft spot in my heart (or maybe my head) for the Obsidian...I don't know why except that I see potential in it with some years of aging. I've had good experiences with the cigar that have unfortunately been marred by several bad experiences. If you're balking at one bundle, how will you react to know at one point I had 4? At the time it seemed like a good buy at $40 a bundle, and maybe with some extensive aging it will turn out that I was right...I'm willing to take that gamble if it means being right all along, never underestimate the power of ego. Wink [;)]
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I've never had an Obsidian, but I did almost buy a 10 pack a while ago. If they have good flavor just bad burn, has anybody used a draw poker before smoking? That should make them manageable right?
  • Options
    blurr:
    I've never had an Obsidian, but I did almost buy a 10 pack a while ago. If they have good flavor just bad burn, has anybody used a draw poker before smoking? That should make them manageable right?
    Oh young one...

j0z3r, how bout sending blurr a dozen of these baby's so he understands better? LOL FOUR BUNDLES of those beasts at one point??? It must have completely sucked getting bombed by you for a while! LOL I bet guys were crying in their driveways & sobbing "Why? WHY??? Why couldnt Joe have sent some Black N Milds? What did I do that was so wrong....???" LOL

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Mperconte:
    The Nica Libre 1990.....Just plan crap!
    I couldn't even get past the 1st third; I had to throw it out.
    Amen
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I guess I need to check out the obsidian. I need to see what all the hatred is about
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    j0z3r, how bout sending blurr a dozen of these baby's so he understands better? LOL FOUR BUNDLES of those beasts at one point??? It must have completely sucked getting bombed by you for a while! LOL I bet guys were crying in their driveways & sobbing "Why? WHY??? Why couldnt Joe have sent some Black N Milds? What did I do that was so wrong....???" LOL

Now that's hilarious!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    In all fairness the Obsidian has a nice flavor if you can ever get one to burn enough to taste it
  • Options
    JapilisJapilis Posts: 11
    The Sniper:
    blurr:
    Oh young one...

Ha!! Hilarious!!
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    blurr:
    Oh young one...

You funny guy...let me see if I can get about 15 together and help you fill up that new coolerdor. Maybe get you some Hesitant Pirates while I'm at it. ;)
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    The Sniper:
    blurr:
    Oh young one...

You funny guy...let me see if I can get about 15 together and help you fill up that new coolerdor. Maybe get you some Hesitant Pirates while I'm at it. ;)
    Some Graycliff 1666 Pirates too!
  • Options

I'm sure I'll get absolutely FLAMED for this, but I found the MOW Ruination to be absolutely HORRIBLE. I got one in a sampler and let it sit for about a month. When I pulled it out I couldn't even finish it I was so appalled. It could have just been a bad stick in a giant batch so I'll prolly give it another try down the road, but I was not impressed at all.

I also thought the Diesel was pretty horrid too.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    repairmanjack:

I'm sure I'll get absolutely FLAMED for this, but I found the MOW Ruination to be absolutely HORRIBLE. I got one in a sampler and let it sit for about a month. When I pulled it out I couldn't even finish it I was so appalled. It could have just been a bad stick in a giant batch so I'll prolly give it another try down the road, but I was not impressed at all.

Not gonna flame you, everyones tastes are different. Maybe you're just not a heavy-ligero maduro kind of guy. Also, sometimes you just get a bad one. I smoked a DPG Series JJ Maduro the other day that just sucked. I'd had one before that I was pretty impressed with. I know I wasn't smoking too fast (as I sometimes do) since it went out twice, but, nothing but bitterness, and I am a heavy-ligero maduro kind of guy.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    repairmanjack:

BLASPHEMER!!! Consider yourself FLAMED...TWICE!!! LOL.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    repairmanjack:

If you are not a full body smoker those sticks will not be to your liking thats all. They are both pretty stout.
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    repairmanjack:

BLASPHEMER!!! Consider yourself FLAMED...TWICE!!! LOL.
    LMAO!

• Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Gurkha Sherpa
    Royal Nicaraguan (bundle cigars from Jesus Fuego)
    Most of the Acid line, but especially the Nasty and the Def Sea
    And of course, the Padilla Obsidian

I did have one 5-pack of Camacho Selects that were absolutely horrid, never finished 1 of them. I got about an inch in to the first one, threw it away, and got about half an inch into the second one and threw away the whole 5-pack. It tasted like someone vomited on the filler leaves before binding and wrapping them.
  • Options
    fla-gypsy:
    repairmanjack:

If you are not a full body smoker those sticks will not be to your liking thats all. They are both pretty stout.
    That's odd because I am more of a full body smoker. Looks like I'll have to try them both again after they've rested a little longer
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the Ruination...and while I wouldnt say the Diesel is a goat a$$....it is at BEST the definition of average to me.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Gurkha Sherpa

I did have one 5-pack of Camacho Selects that were absolutely horrid, never finished 1 of them. I got about an inch in to the first one, threw it away, and got about half an inch into the second one and threw away the whole 5-pack. It tasted like someone vomited on the filler leaves before binding and wrapping them.
    The Sherpa actually does ok after about a year or so of rest. Don't know about the rest, but I agree that no amount of time can make the Padilla Obsidian ok.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    alienmisprint:
    Gurkha Sherpa

The Sherpa actually does ok after about a year or so of rest. Don't know about the rest, but I agree that no amount of time can make the Padilla Obsidian ok.
    That's funny, I was going to chime in about the Sherpa myself. It's the only stick that I've ever included on the 'goat's ass' thread (my first one was about 1.5 years ago). Anyway, I dug one out of the bottom of my humi that had been sitting there for about 18-20 months and burned it while doing some repair work. While it was nothing special, it really wasn't bad at all - a much better experience than my first one.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Heavy:
    sightunseen:
    alienmisprint:
    Gurkha Sherpa

That's funny, I was going to chime in about the Sherpa myself. It's the only stick that I've ever included on the 'goat's ass' thread (my first one was about 1.5 years ago). Anyway, I dug one out of the bottom of my humi that had been sitting there for about 18-20 months and burned it while doing some repair work. While it was nothing special, it really wasn't bad at all - a much better experience than my first one.
    Right on, I've never had one with any age on it, maybe a month or two at most. However, the two I did have were both horrible. The first one I got in a sampler and only smoked about half of it. The second one I smoked was at a buddy's house. I had been on a Gurkha Regent kick for a little bit, and he picked up a bundle of Sherpas just for when I came over because he thought I liked all Gurkhas. I had to choke down that whole stick out of courtesy, never again.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Yep, that first one I had was the most bitter, horrible tasting cigar I ever had. I don't ever consider a stick 'goat's ass bad' if it's too mild, too strong, or just doesn't fit my taste profile or whatever. But that one was just plain bad. Give em a good while to rest; hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised...I was!
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Gurkha Sherpa

I know the Nasty lives up to it's name when DE reps rip on it, I really wanted to try the Royal Nicaraguan though, I'll still probably try the Def Sea at some point out of curiosity, and same would go for Sherpa and Sherpa Cafe.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Gurkha Sherpa

The Kuba Kuba can go on that list too. Imagine cotton candy that has made a trip through the digestive tract of a goat... Yup, that pretty much sums it up!
  • Options
    You Obsidian haters can take a long walk on a short pier.Wink [;)] Smoking one tonight and it's far from goat ass...Not a world beater, but a decent stick imo. And wonder of wonders, it's burning even and the draw is good. I think age is the trick, though I'll find out for sure when i have a few more.