Home Non Cigar Related

codger word of the day

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough road a hoe.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Malarkey.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shenanigans

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enough of these monkeyshines!

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Debbie Does..." from the codgers in the other thread.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Harlot

Gadfly

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

hobnob
    from Webster's:
    Hobnob and Shakespeare
    Hob and nob first came together in print in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, when Sir Toby Belch warns Viola (who is disguised as a man) that Sir Andrew wants to duel. "Hob, nob is his word," says Sir Toby, using hob and nob to mean something like "hit or miss." Sir Toby's words are probably from the term habnab (also styled as a phrase: hab or nab), which meant "in one way or another" or "however it may turn out." After Shakespeare's day, hob and nob became established in the phrase to drink hobnob (also styled as to drink hob or nob), which meant "to drink alternately to each other." Since "drinking hobnob" was generally done among friends, hobnob came to refer to congenial social interaction.

@Yakster said:
    Gadfly

an annoying person, especially one who provokes others into action by criticism.

between you and me and the bedpost

@Yakster said:
    Tough road a hoe.

It wasn't until I started gardening that I realized people were saying:

"Tough row to hoe".

Always baffled me. I sort of pictured some sort of Lot Lizard.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Oh! There's one!

Lot Lizard.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, tell me, @peter4jc, since you’re a codger, do you use all these words/terms?? 😜🤣

I've expressed myself in codgerese since I was a wee lad.

Son, you need to work up a grubstake and get out on your own.

Pull yourself up by your bootstraps.

@jlmarta said:
    So, tell me, @peter4jc, since you’re a codger, do you use all these words/terms?? 😜🤣

Speaking of codgers, tomorrow is @jlmarta's birthday!

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:

@jlmarta said:

Speaking of codgers, tomorrow is @jlmarta's birthday!

@peter4jc
    Now that, Mr. Schmidt, was a dirty trick. Like L’il Abner used to say, “You’re a lowdown, shif’less skonk, sir”..... 🤓

Consarnit!

tarnation!

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never you mind.

Oh that reminded me: "Mind your beeswax".

There are a bunch of theories about its origin, most disputed, none authoritative that I can find, except that it is a substitution for the more abrupt "mind your business".

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Piss ant

"If brains were gasoline, yours couldn't power a piss ants go kart for a trip around the block"

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

Keep your head on a swivel

Lest we forget the obvious; codger.

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Persnickity

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...

Did anybody put up cantankerous?

operator

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fixinta
    Whippersnapper
    Feller