Home Non Cigar Related
Options

codger word of the day

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

A dollar waiting on a nickel

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Knuckle sandwich

• Options

The cows are out… because the barn door is open

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

I haven't heard that in a koon's age.

Apparently raccoons are too controversial for the internet these days. Stupid censors.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

It's because that saying is racist and not referring to raccoons.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pert near nye

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

It's because that saying can be racist and not referring to raccoons, depending on who's saying it and under what circumstances.

Personally, I think the "N" word should also receive such censorship, no matter who's saying it or under whatever circumstances, for exactly the same reasons.

I tried to word that carefully, because I'm NOT disagreeing with @Yakster, as what he perceives is often all too correct. I added my feelings about the "N" word, because although I absolutely love Dave Chappelle and his brilliant comedy, sometimes it's time to let things slip into the past.

I look forward to a day when it's all ancient history. We could be there already, if people would just let it go.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Yakster said:

I did not know that. Now I do. The one time I heard it used, the old fellow was not speaking of any topics related to race, or even people for that matter. I guess it goes back even farther than I thought.

• Options

I didn't know the meaning behind the phrase until my wife explained it to me years ago.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

the term, among others, was used when I was a kid as a derogatory. Then again, I'm in the throes of antiquity myself.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Personally, I think the "N" word should also receive such censorship, no matter who's saying it or under whatever circumstances, for exactly the same reasons.

Censorship is censorship. Free speech is free. Inconsistent enforcement is racist.

Way back when I was a high school football official the powers that be decided we football officials should become censors. First new rule kicking off their inaugural PC program prohibited the N* word. As head linesman, I had the visiting team at my back. Sure enough, first game that year, as the visiting running back went scooting down the field, his teammate on the sidelines shouted: "Run N****r Run!" I dropped my flag in front of him as I trailed the play. Never in my life have I seen a more flabbergasted player (and coach) as when I explained the call. "But I'm bl**k," he pleaded. "If Coach can't say it, you can't say it," I replied. Coach's mouth dropped open.

Threw that same flag I dunno how many times. Could not convince these young men not to use the term. It was perfunctory, automatic, habitual with them. Just like their strange obsession with the word Moth******er.

Never one time had to throw that flag on a wh**e player. Not once.

Now, we all know that different rules apply to different players according to their position. For example, illegal use of hands by a defender is a straight arm by a runner. If you were to write a rule according to skin tone, that would be blatantly racist. The rules committee had avoided that.

Censorship is censorship. Free speech is free. Inconsistent enforcement is racist.

Which of these is a good lesson for our youth: Censorship, Freedom, or Racism?

I believe we have picked out the two worst lessons.
    We consistently inculcate everything but freedom.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

This isn't the Troll thread, Davis

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    This isn't the Troll thread, Davis

I didn't start the censorship discussion.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Inconsistent enforcement IS racist. No two ways about it.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Fair to midlan

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clippy. You have to be at least 40 years old to understand what this thing was

Don't look ↑
  • Options
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved Clippy.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

I really liked Pong.

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:

You think? I always thought it referred to a raccoon. Never really understood what it means

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    I didn't know the meaning behind the phrase until my wife explained it to me years ago.

USAGE NOTE FOR ****'S AGE

**** is a shortened form of raccoon. Although a wild raccoon survives only 2 or 3 years on average, the phrase ****'s age arose from the mistaken belief that these animals can live a long time. We still use the similar expression donkey's years, but ****'s age has declined in use because **** is also a highly insulting term used to refer to a Black person.

Had to look it up for myself

• Options

I've never seen the word donkey used as a racial slur. I think they're just making this stuff up to see if they can get people to stop using everyday words.

• Options

Did you just use the word "people" @ShawnOL? That's also a banned word now. You're cancelled!

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Playing a game of hot potato.

• Options

That’s pronounced “tater” good sir 😂

• Options

Here's medium codger phrases, not old, old codger, because these were typed out on early calculators and read upside-down.

710 77345

• Options

Ahem, that's 5318008, good sir.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^ reminds me of Jr high

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

ass over tea kettle @Yakster

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis