Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

and that, dear readers is where infrastructure comes from.  We haven't seen that since Kennedy, I think.  T.R.,  FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, all contributed to the infrastructure we still enjoy today.  Not even decent maintenance has taken place since, has it?  

I don't think a wall counts, just my opinion.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, since we put a tariff on foreign-made solar panels what did China just announce?....They're going to build a solar panel mfg. plant in the US. Well, probably more US jobs, but I wonder where the profits from sales are going....
    Unintended consequences but totally predictable.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you only knew how bad our roads, bridges and road infrastructure really were you'd probably be pretty pissed.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried tariff wars before. Failed.
    Nobody learns. 

Amos, I don't grok your list. "T.R.,  FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, all contributed to the infrastructure we still enjoy today. " Teddy Roosevelt, another populist blowhard, pushed the Panama Canal, which Carter gave away. I can see that being useful infrastructure for us, even though it's not located here. FDR carried out the dam projects & such that Hoover, who was a civil engineer, initiated... but that leaves Hoover out of the list. With Truman it was the Marshall Plan. What infrastructure did he build here? Ike was your guy, for sure: the interstates and the St Lawrence. What'd Kennedy build? Bomb shelters? The space race? I don't get where that means infrastructure. Enlighten me.

Course, twenty years from now we may or may not have high speed rail between Fresno and Madera. I spose Obama could take credit for that, the way credit is claimed. But there, too, silvermouse, a German company is sposed to run the thing, IIRC, and the cars were coming from Belgium, something else from China, or some such; tho now it's said it's all sposed to be American parts. Tho the way things are going, those American companies will prolly lose money when the whole fiasco falls on its face & their orders get cancelled.

No big fan of walls either. But they are popular all over the world right now. When Reagan exhorted Gorby to take down this wall, there were like half a dozen walls anywhere in the world. Today, there's about six dozen. And those countries which have recently built walls in Europe report that they work instantly and marvelously. We ourselves built the wall between Libya and Tunisia, didn't we? Israel reports good results from their wall. The thing is how else do you shut a border? I remember Cesar Chavez, cause I lived in Kali at the time. His big deal was to close the border. Said the constant influx of new Mexicans depressed wages in the fields. Farmers didn't want closed borders cause they wanted cheap labor. He wanted to shut the border cause he wanted living wages. No one called Cesar a racist. Nowadays, it's not just fields -- it's factories. We have several clients who are staffing agencies. Virtually every last person working for the rock bottom wages that these staffing agencies pay is Hispanic. We have substantial construction clients -- likewise. Your options here are not kumbaya versus white supremacy. Your options are close the border versus wages so low no one can live on them. Your public debate by the odious demagogues which rule this joint is all about twisting reality to demonize the other guy.

Anyhoo, getting too long winded, so I'll stop.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I'm behind this idea, I don't use straws and am slightly annoyed by getting straws in water, but six months in jail sounds extreme.

We use over 500 million every day in America, and most of those end up in our oceans, polluting the water and killing marine life.
    Im gonna bomb you with straws  >:)
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the darling of the democrats/liberals, maxine waters is going to give the rebuttal SOTU. Should be a hoot but I hope they use someone else's face.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should paste this face onto Maxine...

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    webmost said:
    Tried tariff wars before. Failed.
    Nobody learns. 

Amos, I don't grok your list. "T.R.,  FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, all contributed to the infrastructure we still enjoy today. " Teddy Roosevelt, another populist blowhard, pushed the Panama Canal, which Carter gave away. I can see that being useful infrastructure for us, even though it's not located here. FDR carried out the dam projects & such that Hoover, who was a civil engineer, initiated... but that leaves Hoover out of the list. With Truman it was the Marshall Plan. What infrastructure did he build here? Ike was your guy, for sure: the interstates and the St Lawrence. What'd Kennedy build? Bomb shelters? The space race? I don't get where that means infrastructure. Enlighten me.

When I first conceived this, I only thought of FDR and Eisenhower, then added the others.  I'm considering as infrastructure not only the physical, but significant cultural contributions as well.

OK.  T. R. 

Let's see, hmm...I enjoy the National Parks.  Without Teddy, no parks.  None of the wonders which my Father enjoyed as a child, I enjoyed as a child, my son enjoyed as a child, etc.  Ever been on the Blue Ridge parkway?  You know you have.  T.R.'s vision, combined with FDR's vision.  I've hiked the Grand Canyon twice, it's there, it's available, it works, it's cultural continuity, and I think that's infrastructure.  The list goes on and on.  Do I believe the lie that "private enterprise can always do it better"?  No.  I don't think Disney created something better, and I thank TR for his vision to preserve what private enterprise would have raped and destroyed for private benefit.

Also, on the subject of TR, he was really the first to try to contain the rogue elephant that was American business.  He created, for most minds, the notion that government not only should, but could intervene between the mega-corporations that benefited only the wealthiest of the wealthy by starving and abusing the people who made the wealth for them.  He also made significant strides toward healing the divisions between the races by treating black people like people.  Supporting rights and education.  The first president to have a black man invited in through the front door of the White House.  

A nation united, or divided?  United = infrastructure.  Divided = failed infrastructure.  When one race, or class oppresses the other, that's failure.

True, you could say Carter "gave away" the canal.  Or, you could say he honored the original contract.  You decide.

Hoover.

I didn't really consider Hoover, but you make a good point, perhaps I should have.  He tried, sort of.  He at least saw the need, but circumstance and politics and a deficit of energy as well as initiative rendered him rather impotent.  I suppose it could also be said that his vision was rather an attempt at placating those horrible populists who thought that government should be, among other things, for the people.

FDR.

Yes, he finished what Hoover started, and so much more.  You're kind of kidding, right?  Long after Hoover was gone, and even before WW2, the WPA, the CCC, more dams, roads, bridges, public works, paychecks in peoples pockets = infrastructure.  And, again, race relations.  A future for everybody!  Then came the war.  It was FDR's management and leadership that created the situation that allowed American business and labor to respond to the war in such a way as to build an industrial effort that continued to serve the country for decades.  For instance, in the '70s I was a young welder trying to buy a house and feed a family.  Most of the presses and mill-working machines I used at one job making parts were all  built in '42 - '44.  This was the case all over the country.  Infrastructure.  

Truman.

Yeah, I had to think about that.  Socio-political / economic infrastructure.  The way that the aftermath of WW2 was handled, the Marshall Plan etc., created the situation whereby helping to rebuild others infrastructure and political freedom and stability profited us in ways that allowed us to build our own future at the same time.

Eisenhower.

No contest there, right?

Kennedy.

Again, you're kidding a little, right?  

Yes, the "space race" is a large part of what I meant.  No space race, no Silicon Valley, no microwave ovens, no satellite TV, no internet, even if we did have to wait for Al Gore to invent it.    ;)    Think about it.  All of the automotive inventions that probably wouldn't have taken place without the miniaturization required, the knowledge gained from the "space race".  

Who else?  

Johnson is given a lot of credit for civil rights, but really most of what he did was just the final maturation of steps originally taken by Eleanor Roosevelt, with her husband inching along behind.  

Nixon went to China, but I don't think he really brought about much that wouldn't have happened anyway.

Carter?  Well meaning, weak.  Rather Hoover-esque.

I give Reagan credit for rebuilding the military, which was in a shambles after Vietnam.  Other than that, not much.

GHWBush?  Well, he had the sense to get back out of Iraq, since we had no plan as to what to do once we had it.  Other than that, not much. 

I voted for Clinton his first term, because he was talking infrastructure and I agreed.  He didn't do much of anything about it, and I went with Ross Perot the next time.  One thing for Clinton, by the time he left office we were in a position where we could have accomplished some infrastructure, but then...

"W"

Squandered the money and most of the worlds good will in Iraq,

oh, and Afghanistan, which was actually involved in attacking us.

Obama?

Well, that's a story for another day, too much remains to be seen.

Trump?

Well, he talked about infrastructure, and in the sense that I've used it here, may actually do something about it regarding setting up a better trade structure than we've had.  That's been my hope, anyway.

a Wall?  Keeps us in just as easily as it keeps "them" out.  

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    Yet the Democrats sat on their hands with sour pusses when Trump spoke about immigration!
  • Options
    ...and in some cases they booed and hissed. Amazing how quick the dems realized how many votes criminal immigrants and dead people are worth.

I still like the idea of establishing military bases on the border.
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    A truck driver in Peru damaged the 2,000-year-old Nazca Lines, after officials said he ignored warning signs and drove over a portion of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/02/01/a-truck-driver-inexplicably-plowed-over-a-2000-year-old-historical-site-in-peru-damaging-the-designs/

• Options
    What a dope.

Hey, did they ever catch the Greenpeace treetards who laid out their message on the hummingbird? You hear these things when they happen, and then news never follows up on the story.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    @webmost never did hear anything and can’t find any articles about any arrests being made. That was in 2014 I think. You know the media has ADD 
  • Options
    jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I have no understanding of why the people of Cali want their lives controlled by the state idiots there. It's the gun laws that boggle my mind. If you have a magazine that holds more than ten rds. I hear your breaking the law. 
  • Options
    have to be a pretty bad shot to need more than that I would think....
  • Options
    Unless you're under attack.  Just sayin'.

• Options
    I am a bad shot. I need 30 rd mags. Ok?
  • Options
    Running out or reloading during a gun fight sucks.
    Just saying.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with guns. Times have sure changed, used to shoot bottles in the back yard with my semiautomatic .22 when I was 10. It loaded through the stock and held 12 or 14 longs. Nowadaze they need cops and metal detectors in the schools, surveillance cameras everywhere. smh
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Just saying.
    Almost as bad as bringing a knife to a gunfight .....   :#
  • Options
    Things have changed. Many more disturbed people out there. We have to find a way to unmask them,not disarm the good.
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    0patience said:
    Just saying.
    Almost as bad as bringing a knife to a gunfight .....   :#
    Difference is, you can still use the knife.
    You run out of bullets, what are you gonna do?
    Run up on them and go "BANG!"? 
    Or throw the gun at them?

They might die laughing. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options

• Options

Department of Education Bans Daddy-Daughter Dances Citing Gender Bias

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/doe-bans-daddy-daughter-dances-citing-gender-bias/?utm_source=PJMCoffeeBreak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=February2018

"Where is the balance in banning all gender-oriented public school events, you might ask? Where is the balance in discriminating against straight students by asserting that they offend gay or trans students? Better yet, let's get really creepy for a minute and question the implied sexualization of parent-child events at the elementary level in the name of LGBTQ rights and work back from there."

• Options
    webmost said:

Department of Education Bans Daddy-Daughter Dances Citing Gender Bias

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/doe-bans-daddy-daughter-dances-citing-gender-bias/?utm_source=PJMCoffeeBreak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=February2018

"Where is the balance in banning all gender-oriented public school events, you might ask? Where is the balance in discriminating against straight students by asserting that they offend gay or trans students? Better yet, let's get really creepy for a minute and question the implied sexualization of parent-child events at the elementary level in the name of LGBTQ rights and work back from there."

As my grandfather would say,
    "These nutcases have gone off the reservation."
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    5 years ago, Stockton CA went bankrupt. Today, they want to endow everyone with a $6,000 a year participation trophy. 
    http://www.businessinsider.com/stockton-california-launching-the-first-us-experiment-in-basic-income-2017-10

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's grant money for an experiment, none of it comes out of Stockton's budget.  
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )