Home Non Cigar Related

codger word of the day

silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

gump·tion

nounINFORMAL
shrewd or spirited initiative and resourcefulness.

Comments

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edward has the gumption to make the most of any situation.

A little dirt never hurt
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any apocape

n.b.: apocape (uh-POCK-uh-pee) (n) eliding the final consonant; e.g "I was a listenin' to yer fiddlin' an' my feet set to buck dancin'".

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to get all persnickety.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

flubdub as in "stop flubdubbing around"

Definition of flubdub
    BUNKUM, BALDERDASH
    First Known Use of flubdub
    1888, in the meaning defined above
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

codg·er /ˈkäjər/
    noun INFORMAL•DEROGATORY

an elderly man, especially one who is old-fashioned or eccentric.
    "old codgers always harp on about yesteryear"

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dagnabbit.
    Dagnabbit I told you not to put your finger in there!

Y’all, You’uns, Yinz, Youse

Lunting

Lunting is a verb meaning to walk around while [smoking] a pipe. [Tobacco] was first brought to Europe by the Spanish in 1528 and the word ‘lunting’ is almost as old, first appearing somewhere around 1540 – 1550. Lunting is what pipe smokers do as a means of stress relief or to relax although it should be remembered that in large quantities tobacco can be [hallucinogenic] and the exercise will increase respiration rate, heart rate and may speed the absorption of any [hallucinogens].

Additional meanings for lunting are emitting smoke or steam from a pipe and lighting a fire, torch or tobacco pipe. The word itself comes from either the Dutch word lont meaning a slow match or fuse or the Middle Low German lonte meaning a wick.

What?! You're mumbling....

Well fiddlesticks. I though we were getting somewhere.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

All you young whippersnappers.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're not a codger until you've started a conversation with "back in my day......"

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

Turbo Encabulator

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Trykflyr_1 said:
    Them: "40 years ago..."
    Me: "You mean 1960?"
    Them: "No. 1980...."
    Me: "Nooooo......wait. Dammit!"

Right!!

far out

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a hot lay.

copesthetic

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peter

He got kicked right in the Peter.....

Thread win!! :D

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't touch the thermostat.
    Turn the damn light off when you leave the room.
    Close the door! I'm not payin' to heat/cool the outside.

And....naturally:
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...

and 'close the door, do you think you live in a barn?'

squaresville

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Watch where the fvck you're driving!"

Should've had a co-pilot yelling at me this morning... navigating through a parking lot, I cut the corner too sharp and rode up over a curb. What a dumbass move; scraped the crap outa my front right alloy and when the car came off the curb it landed on the 'frame' behind the wheel and pushed the fender up. So the fender and maybe what it mounts to is trashed.

Now the car I bought new in '15 and kept perfect is no longer perfect. Time to head to the bodyshop and I could see it easily be $2K to fix. I'm such a codger.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

ouch.

the side mirror on my car costs over $1200 because of the motor, sensors, camera and heater. The more they improve safety and convenience the more they cost to repair. If the main computer gets fried it is close to $10,000. I (kinda) miss my old '66 VW Squareback. You could fix nearly everything with a screwdriver, soldering iron, duct tape, wire and wrenches.

edited November 2020

@silvermouse said:
    the side mirror on my car costs over $1200 because of the motor, sensors, camera and heater. The more they improve safety and convenience the more they cost to repair. If the main computer gets fried it is close to $10,000. I (kinda) miss my old '66 VW Squareback. You could fix nearly everything with a screwdriver, soldering iron, duct tape, wire and wrenches.

Yup. My 1st car was a '65 VW Bug with a sunroof. Nearly indestructible, as long as you adjust the valves every 3,000 miles. The heater would run you out of there, as long as it was summer. Great car for off-road cruising in Texas.